Saturday, May 23, 2009

What pulls me through?

(I've begun more iron infusions through my picc line which should give me boost.)

It's been a tough week. My body is tired. And I'll admit that I've been depressed at times and full of anxiety. And yet, at moments how can I feel empty? I have every reason to live and love.

What pulls me through?

Others. Family. Friends. All of you. My wife is beautiful in every way. Eden is adorable.

My former Bishop, who I served with as his executive secretary in our Church of volunteers, had his hip replaced. His recovery has been quick because he's a remarkable human being. He walked almost a mile to visit me using two forearm crutches. He's a man I admire and hope to one day be like.

Also, our neighbor who has cancer spread throughout her body, dropped off several dark red garden geraniums to add to the beauty of our yard which was spring cleaned by neighbors. They have green houses and spend time growing all kinds of vegetation. They also have a son whose had a heart transplant. She is a remarkable woman, who despite her illness, sits near us in church each week to thank God for what we have and hope for.

Another neighbor, a good man, father and husband, who has needed a liver transplant, who almost died a month ago, got a call for a liver. The surgery was a success and he is on the mend. It's a miracle. And we thank God.

When I am discouraged a tool that lifts me is music. With it's varying emotions and influence particular music pulls me through. What would the world be like without it? Pretty depressing. This past week I've been absorbing the lyrics and song from popular Christian artists MercyMe called I would die for you. The tune is on my playlist and is truly inspiring. It's as though they are singing my thoughts.

Finally, I had a great time watching the American Idol finale. I'll admit it. From a professional standpoint you can't go wrong with young newly discovered talent performing with icons Lionel Richie, KISS, Queen, Cindy Lauper, and others. The song Permanent former idol winner David Cook performed for his brother who died with a tumor was inspiring.

14 comments:

  1. Man, I know when you get your heart your going to feel like a whole new man, and you will have endless energy to run with your sweet 3 year old. I saw in your video you can't wait to return what people have given to you. We felt the same way, people continue to help us with Jax, so we make blankies and send to critically ill kids. I know a lot of people come to your blog, so if you would spread the word about it that would be great. jaxsonsblankiesforbabes.blogspot.com. And we would love to make a man sized one for you, to take with you in the hospital. You would be our first adult, we've done some teens but no adults. What kind of things do you like? sports or whatever. Let me know. Lacey and Jax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    My name is Becca. I am sixteen years old and I have TOF, PA and PH. I will need a heart and lung transplant when I get older. I have been following your blog along with my mom and I just want to say that it gives me so much hope to know that someone out there was able to grow up into an adult and have a family like I want to be able to do. Thank you so much and I wish you all the best.

    Becca
    http://joy2theblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul -

    We pray for you every day. You have made such an incredible difference in this world. You have changed us and helped us learn about gratitude. We are grateful for your life and cannot wait to see you get a new heart and get feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I don't sound redundant but we think of you everyday. People ask me how you're doing and we just kind of say 'We think he is hanging in there'. You are an example to all of us on how to endure and endure WELL. We know it is hard on you but you continue time and time again to have a positive approach. You are teaching all of us how to be better people, we admire you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. That American Idol finale was fabulous!! So many great performers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chin up Paul.. you've come so far!Keeping you in our thoughts here in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always praying for you Paul...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the American Idol finale too! And love Kris Allen!

    Hope you have a better week this week, we wish we could be with you so we could hang out and so you could make us laugh. Your sense of humor is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Memorial weekend Paul,

    I'm so sorry you have had a down week.
    I just wanted to remind you of all the families you have lifted up and given hope through your writings and music. Today I pray for you to be lifted as you have done for others and that phone will ring with a special gift of a perfect match for you and in the meantime you will feel better with each and every hug from little Eden.
    God bless you, you're an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul, Thank you for your honesty. You are amazing. You have blessed so many with your positive attitude! May we be your cheerleaders and lift your spirit when you are down. May the Lord's richest blessings carry you and strengthen you and lift you...always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep your chin up; we are still praying & thinking of you. God has great things in store for you & your family. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's ok to have days when you don't feel strong, days when you have a million fears. Even the Savior Himself, said "Father if thou be willing, remove this cup from me" And God in His mercy sent an angel to strengthen Him.
    Miracles still happen and angels do minister to us seen and unseen. What is so inspiring about your story is you can see the angels surrounding you. As always, you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul, sorry about your week...Alicia's comment (above) is especially profound. I love II Timothy 1:7

    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love and of a sound mind.

    Being human, it is natural to be shaken - and your tutorial, as Elder Maxwell would refer to your journey, is espcially challenging. So many of us on both sides of the veil are praying for you to be strengthened and comforted....Love from the Christensens

    ReplyDelete
  14. We continue to keep you and your family in our prayers. You are such an inspiration!
    Natalie and Alan Peterson

    ReplyDelete