Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Chapter of My Life

Life is full of chapters. We close one and start a new one. I am in the middle of “the heart transplant” chapter of my life and the plot thickens as I continue to wait. It has been nine months. That’s full term and my water hasn’t broke!

Nevertheless, Albert Einstein said, “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” We try to make the most of our circumstances reflecting upon what we have learned or hope to learn from our situation. I am learning more than I could ever dream of and I hope to pull through to share that with many more people.

My spiritual hero, Thomas S. Monson shared this powerful insight to happiness, “This is our one and only chance at life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.”

I continue to find comfort in my knowledge that God is good! God is close! God is my friend. He has wrapped His loving arms around my family through the love, service, and support of those who also love Him. It’s a miracle!

Yesterday I was fortunate to attend the closing chapter of a few college students as they graduated from Salt Lake Community College where I attended school for an associate’s degree.

I was invited to attend by President Cynthia Bioteau and the SLCC Alumni association. The school honored me with the “Distinguished Alumni Award” which was quite shocking because it is awarded to those who’ve made a contribution to our community and yet it’s our community, which for the past nine months has been making a contribution to our family. Matt Bunker, Alumni Advisor, made it clear that this award was decided upon before they knew I was sick.

And so, I am thankful for SLCC alumni’s kindness in acknowledging my music career which has been a tool for me to share something peaceful, positive, and uplifting in a world full of pain and suffering.

I am grateful for the Salt Lake Community College chapter in my life. Before graduating high school I was recruited by their Freshman Leadership Council despite my average grades and offered a full-ride scholarship.

Getting involved in student government where I sat on the college activities board, served as student Fine Arts Chairperson, later as the student Public Relations Vice President, and as an aggressive recruiter, gave me many opportunities to learn things that I have applied to my business and life.

College was an enjoyable chapter of my life and I had moments of nostalgia sitting before the graduates.

Congratulations to all of you who graduated!

(Pictures: Top - Wearing the honorary cap & gown, Middle - sitting next to Dan Young (PC Laptops) who also received an award, Bottom - With my parents Margaret & Duane Cardall)

10 comments:

  1. WOW, that's amazing. I am so happy for you; congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul:
    I have been following your blog since stumbling across it a couple months ago. I admire you and you have been such an inspiration to me. I daily ask Heavenly Father to please bless you and make you healthy. I have shared your story with so many people - we all need to see life with your attitude.
    Thank you for what you have shared.
    Good luck to you and I will continue to pray for you and your family.
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love that quote by President Monson. Looks like a neat experience at SLCC. We (especially my kids!) are still praying for you every night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Congratulations! I hope that you see what an impact you are having on the lives of many. There needs to be many more Pauls to inspire Anns like me.
    May you and your family continue to be watched over and held in our Heavenly Father's embrace.
    Gramdma Ann (Alex Stewart-HLHS-Transplant-2008)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,
    I am sorry but given the adversity you are dealing with in waiting for your transplant, your statement "It has been nine months. That’s full term and my water hasn’t broke!" made me chuckle because it shows the humor you have and that alone is getting you far and helping to sustaining you. You continue to amaze me and are an example to so many.
    Congrats on that amazing honor, as you are deserving of that and more.
    Prayers for you and your family continue in our family.
    (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul-I needed to read your words just now. You have such a gift with not only music, but words! Ahhh...thank you. Really...thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool, Paul. You are so deserving of such an honor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved SLCC. I felt so at home there. It was there that I met my wife - so I have MUCH appreciation for that school!

    I also had some amazing teachers. So many people were good to me there, so I made a lot of life friends there.

    - Chas
    http://chas.willowrise.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul I was just listening to one of your CD's at work and decided to look up your blog. Congratulations on your award. The times at SLCC were good and we all made a lot of good freinds. My families thoughts and prayers are with you.

    RJ Graham

    ReplyDelete