Monday, May 18, 2009

Inspiring Music Video from Matthew West

Christian artist Matthew West was doing a follow up album to his award winning debut with a huge concert tour when he lost his voice. After one look at his vocal chords, doctors at the Vanderbilt Voice Center immediately put all his plans on hold. They discovered a vascular polyp and hemorrhaged blood vessels on Matthew’s vocal chord, making it impossible for him to sing. His doctors were convinced only two courses of treatment would work: complete silence and surgery.

Matthew recommitted himself to journaling his thoughts and prayers during his season of silence. "Solitude is an uncomfortable place, and silence is so unnatural for most of us," he relates. "I found myself surrounded by questions like, ‘What if I can’t sing anymore? What if my voice doesn’t sound the same? What if I can’t provide for my family?’ It was foundation shattering. But over and over again, I felt this recurring message on my heart saying, ‘Cease striving…don’t even ask for answers, just be with Me. Be still. I am using your voice, even when you can’t hear it.’"

He found comfort in his faith and would learn to speak again and sing. Here is his video chronicling his experience.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This was so special....feelings that I am sure that you can relate to and share. I can't wait to see your video in concert of your own experiences regarding the long awaited transplant. I keep checking in hoping that Today is the day! All our prayers and love!

    Alli and Kyle Hicken
    + heart buddy baby Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very inspiring. I treminds me that God giveth and He taketh away. I just watched "Farrah's Stpry" and was brought to tears by her battle and finally the world's most beautiful hair taken away. Such a good reminder to enjoy our gifts from God while we still have them. Thank you for sharing reminders. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another testimony of faith and patience. Thank you, Paul for sharing these reminders that life is so fragile and precious and can never be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Long time no see, Its me, DanaLee- Friends w Shannon Callahan, we were at EFY around the same time, I went to J'lem with your sister Becky- I hope you remember who the heck I am!! I was at your benefit concert and LOvEd seeing you with your gorgeous family! My cousin Corey is on the transplant list as well, he is waiting for his 2nd heart. I think his mom spoke to you briefly before the concert began. I have a few questions about what you are doing now days and if you would be interested in helping me out with something small-my email is danalee_k@hotmail.com if you have any strength right now drop me a line!
    All the best to you Paul,
    DanaLee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul thank you for that message today. It touched my heart deeply. You are in our prayers daily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very cool. I love his voice....he is inspiring and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! After having recently had my own vocal surgery and not being able to speak for 2 weeks, I cried through this whole video. I always took my voice for granted. It was a real wake up call for me, to make sure I used my voice correctly, in every sense of the word, if I got it back. Thanks for sharing this. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Xavier's comment is really mine, he is my son and was signed in.
    Kimberly Watts Flandro

    ReplyDelete