Sunday, May 10, 2009

Celebrate Motherhood

On this special day where we celebrate motherhood I want to express my love and appreciation to my beautiful wife Lynnette, the mother of my gorgeous child Eden, who chose a life with me knowing I might not grow old and she may be alone for a season.

I love you! Let’s do it all over again.

Also, to my own mother Margaret who selflessly cared for me and my 7 other siblings, she was there by my hospital bedside every day and has continued to lift me up with great hope.

Where do I get my optimism? From my mother and her mother, my angel Grandma Layton, who also raised an army of good people who lift the world and make life a better experience for others.

I miss my patriarchal Grandma Joy whose life was extraordinary and raised a great man in my father whose faith is solid.

And to my mother in law Ardith who passed away of cancer when my wife was 8 years old leaving behind 10 children and a humble schoolteacher husband. Ardith had cancer for 5 years beginning when Lynnette was only 3 (the age of our daughter Eden). I look forward to the day when Ardith and I become great friends. Son in laws should always catch up with the mother.

Abraham Lincoln perfectly spoke what I feel, “All that I am and ever hope to be I owe to my angel mother.”

(Picture: Top - Kathryn Turly took this beautiful picture of Lynnette with Eden when our girl was a couple weeks old, Bottom - With my mother in 1973 after my POTTS shunt CHD surgery)

13 comments:

  1. Happy mothers day to your beautiful wife and mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother died of cancer in 1993 when I was 18. We're going to have a wonderful reunion someday.

    Happy mothers day to your wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some outstanding women in your life, even if they aren't all "here" right at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day Lynnette and Margaret! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Ardith and Joy are leading your angel team right now! You chose a great wife and have an amazing Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never personally met your BEAUTIFUL wife Lynette, but being a mother of a boy who also may or may not grow "old" with a wife, my hats off to her! What strength, courage, and unconditional love. Wishing her a very HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY and many,many more years with her awesome husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy mothers day to the wonderful mothers in your life! Both your mother, Lynettes mother and Lynette are inspirations to me. Congratulations on all that you do for the community and world through your music and faith! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words are soo uplifting and I feel greatful for getting to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew Ardith well enough to know that she was an amazing mother full of incredible musical talent, grace and courage. You two speak the same language... musically...no doubt she's leading an angelic choir, or at least playing the angelic organ up there! Yes, you do have wonderful women in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful, Paul. I need someone like you in my life!! Happy Mother's Day to all those fabulous women in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have truly an angel wife in Lynette. Your mother has to be an incredible woman,too! I love how Lynette said at the concert that she would do it all again 100 times! We feel very blessed to have had you all touch our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that Abraham Lincoln quote! I can relate well to it, because I too had an amazing angel for a mother. It's so awesome to see my wife show that same love for our children.

    Great Post!

    - Chas
    http://chas.willowrise.com

    ReplyDelete