Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Father's Message

When I get the call for a heart my wife Lynnette or Dad will blog updates and share insights. But for now, I asked my Dad to recall his memory of my first heart surgery and contribute to my blog. I should note that although Dad is a professional journalist for the last three decades this is a personal message. In his career he's been fortunate to interview great men and women.

The top photo is with my three older sisters at Dad's broadcasting studio. The bottom photo is in the Garden of Gethsemane with former LDS church President Spencer W. Kimball at Jerusalem in 1977.

If you want to be inspired by a classic documentary watch one of the first features my Dad did in the late 70s early 80s called The Marathon. Thirty years later he still has people commenting that his story motivated them to get in shape and run. I posted it at http://youtube.com/livingforeden

Dad is one of my best friends. I'm blessed to have him when so many don't have that in their lives. And I'm thankful he would take the time to share his memory.

Dear Paul,

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about your remarkable, even miraculous life, especially since your 36th birthday a few weeks ago. Well do I remember that spring day in 1973 when mom went into labor and we rushed to the hospital for your birth. The late night delivery at LDS Hospital, which I was able to observe, was routine, and I was thrilled to have a son, after having three daughters come into our home.

Our lives changed dramatically a few hours later, though, when I was awakened from a deep sleep at home by mom calling to let me know “there is a problem with the baby.” I made arrangements for your sisters and rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital, where you had been taken as a so-called “blue baby.” I met you, and a team of medical personnel led by Dr. George Veasy, coming off an elevator and en route to a medical procedure to determine your malady. Fortunately, I was able to get them to allow me a few minutes alone with you. Your Grandpa Layton and I were directed to a nearby closet where we found some privacy in order to give you, in accordance to our beliefs, a priesthood blessing. Then you were off.

It didn’t take Dr. Veasy long to learn that you had a severe congenital heart defect and that immediate surgery would be needed to keep you alive. You were rushed into surgery before you were a day old for what we were told was a shunt that would allow you to get enough oxygenated blood for your malformed heart to keep you alive.

It worked, and here you are 36 years later. It’s quite remarkable, really, when you consider that you weren’t expected to survive a year, let alone through childhood and beyond into puberty. Yet, you constantly defied the odds. And yes, here you are - a very productive, successful adult who has had a significant impact on countless people throughout the world. Moreover, you’re a loving husband and doting father.

I’ve thought about this in the context of the many CHD parents who follow your blog. Somehow, I hope they can find hope in your story, realizing, of course, that medical science is far more advanced than it was when you were born. Indeed, CHD, though serious, doesn’t always mean doom and gloom. There is always hope. Our hope was that you could be kept alive long enough for advances in medicine that would allow you to overcome your next crisis. It seemed such advances always came. And now we await the next step in your miraculous life. We still have great hope . . . as well as an abiding faith that all will be well. Surely, the miracle will continue.

Love you! Dad

22 comments:

  1. Paul
    I am sure you don't remember me we grew up in the same neighborhood. My name was Angie Johns. Your sister Becky was my friend. Your dad was our bishop. You have a great family. Your story is incredible and inspiring. Our family has many of your CDs. I love to read your blog and share it with my own family. I have 5 kids we live in Alpine, Utah. I was sad we were unable to come to your concert. I am so glad it was such a success. Thank you for sharing your story and life. Please know we our praying for you and your family. Please tell them all Hi for me. You are truly amazing.

    Love
    Angie Johns Copeland

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool perspective, coming from your dad. I can't imagine what a trip it must have been for him. The Lord has watched over your family close, and He will continue to do so.

    Thanks for posting this.

    - Chas
    http://music.willowrise.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul - What a treasure from your dad! Thank you for sharing such a personal letter. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Thank you so much. I have tears of joy for the hope and vision you do give of a life well lived with so much more to come. Your parents are a treasure and it is obvious they feel the same of you.

    Never forget we're here cheering for you, praying for you, thankful for you.

    Heart hugs,
    Mindi and baby McKay

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder you are the amazing person you are! What a great family you come from!
    It is good to read your father's words & feelings. He is right - you have made an incredible impact on so many lives...especially us 'heart moms'. You give us all reason to dream big for our heart kids!
    As always, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm bawling my eyes out. That was so beautiful, what a fantastic dad. You are truly an inspiration to us all and what you've been through, we all know our kids will be ok.
    Oh and thanks for adding our button to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute from your Dad. Your life is indeed a miracle and you give so much to the lives of your family and friends and people you have never met. I as a heart mom do find comfort in seeing your life and all you have been able accomplish. We too pray that the miracle will come quickly and that your miraculous life will continue.

    Kristi and Carter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this certainly explains a lot, for instance, Why you are such a beautiful caring person with a strong faith, courage and hope. What a beautiful gift to receive from a Father. God bless you and your Dad as we all wait patiently for the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was beautiful! We live on HOPE for medical advances for Kaidence's future as well. We know that it would be asking a lot to have multiple successful transplants to let her grow old. Today we have HOPE for you and a new heart. I get people asking about you often. We will never give up HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your father's feelings and experiences reflect my husband Reed's and mine so closely. Holly turned 35 in April and with a heart ailment similar to yours had very little hope in the beginning hours, days, weeks, etc. So little was known in those days and since she was one of the first children to have the fontane procedure at the Mayo clinic, so many others have had the procedure and the process has been improved so much! We have waited anxiously for each new procedure that came along seemly just in time for Holly. Hope and faith are a gift that has come along as well and has been a blessing that has enabled us to endure. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you do have an amazing father who has raised 8 equally amazing children! what a blessing to be part of such a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully said. What a wonderful father; a truly Godly father. You are blessed, Paul. God called my father to be home with him when I was a teenager. You are blessed.

    I am still praying for a miracle for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul I have been thinking about you so much lately and praying for your miracle to come. How well I know the emotions of this prayer. Our miracle someone elses nightmare. I love your blog and your wonderful insights. We will always be praying for you and your sweet family and for the donor family that they will say "yes" Tell your dad thank you for sharing this with us it was so beautiful. I have to tell you one of the songs that helped me through the wait is from Prince of Egypt-There can be miracles-I remember watching the movie and just having so many emotions. God is great and he can do anything! Sending our love and prayers, Hilary Cook-Daxton's mommy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You bet that your story inspires other heart moms and dads like us. We are so lucky to have your blog, and your hopeful attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very touching! Because of your dad's many KSL editorials, it was very easy to read that and "hear" your his voice.

    I feel blessed, as well, to have a father (and mother) who has been there for every step of the way during my CHD journey. They truly are a strength when I'm at my lowest.

    Where would we be without them?

    I also LOVE that picture with your dad and Pres. Kimball.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome for you to have your dad as such a strength in your life. I don't even know where my dad is. That's something I missed out on growing up, and even now, just wishing sometimes I could call on "my dad" to give me blessings. I was wondering about that. I wonder when the last time you were able to give your little Eden a blessing? Hopefully she's not sick or anything. But just a chance to connect with her, father to daughter, and share the love of our Heavenly Father with her through the priesthood? I hope that doesn't sound like a weird question, but it really has been going through my head for days: "Ask Paul about blessing Eden." Which since I haven't ever really met you seems weird that it would go through *my* head. And then I finally say, okay okay, I'll just go read his blog, see how he's doing. That thought is so irrational. But I guess there you go. You write about your own dad, and he writes about you. And giving *you* a blessing. And how can that irrational (inspired?) question not come to my mind again. So I risk looking like a moron or idiot, but I'm going to leave the question in my comment for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like so many Utahns, I grew up with your dad on the news. What a strange thing to realize that he was dealing with CHD through you and now I am familiar with your story.
    I continue to pray for your continued health until a heart becomes available.
    Thanks for the uplifting messages and music that you share on your blog.
    Loves,
    Grandma Ann (Alex Stewart-HLHS-Transplant-2008)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a parent, it is a beautiful thing to read your fathers recollection of the details surrounding your first (of many) miracles! Beautifully written!

    continuing to pray for a healthy, strong heart for you in His perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome dad you have to share such a sweet message with you and then with all of us. I can't wait to hear more of his perspective as well as Lynette's when you are getting your heart and cannot update as readily. I hope that the telethon went well....we are out of the state and could not watch....any way to see the video online? Also, we are flattered that you put our little video of Grant up! Hopefully it will help others to find hope in the CHD journey. Much love!

    Alli and Kyle Hicken

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this!! I have been thinking about you guys a lot lately! I wish that he would take over the blog soon (that you get the call.) Many prayers for your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was so sweet. I think it's great that he thought about the day you were born and your first surgery. I cried reading what he wrote. You have been blessed with such an amazing family!

    ReplyDelete