Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Deseret News Article & Video

Musician awaiting heart transplant performs at Primary Children's telethon

By Carrie A. Moore
Photo by Jeffery D. Allred, Deseret News

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:24 p.m. MDT

Editor's note: This is the fourth story in an occasional series

Musician Paul Cardall doesn't get to the piano much anymore, but when he does, the music is straight from his heart, the tired one that needs to be replaced soon.

Two small cameo appearances last weekend during the 27th annual KSL/Primary Children's Medical Center telethon provided him a chance to give back to a hospital he's frequented so often, there's a bronze wall plaque outside the electrocardiogram lab bearing his name.

It was placed there years ago by family members, whose donation to the hospital came after he survived a Fontan surgery to treat severe congenital heart disease.

At 36, he regularly visits his doctors in the cardiology clinic at Primary Children's, despite the fact that almost all of his fellow patients are 18 or younger. Continue reading the story




7 comments:

  1. I cried as I watched you reach out to help others during the telethon this last week, it was my favorite part. You are an amazing example. My heart was full and I could feel your amazing spirit. I am sure it spoke to many others as well. Thank you!

    I continue my prayers for you, your wife & sweet little Eden (she reminds me of Kaidence a year or so from now). You also have amazing parents that helped shape and mold you into who you are today.
    I also pray that a family will be willing give you a miracle in their tender moment of heartbreak and that from it they may find a moment of comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish I was there to watch you. I love that pic with the little boy. Your music is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration! I'll keep you in my prayers and hopefully that gift of life will come soon. I work in a small town hospital operating room and even here we see miracles happen, I know one will happen for you. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. May God lift your fog and bring you glorious sunsets that you are so deserving of.
    Thank you for being such an inspiration to all those sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing...so gracious; always thinking and including others. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really admire the way you handle your difficult circumstances with such faith and optimism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul,

    So glad I found this site, sorry on such a fateful day for your family. My prayers are with you.

    Don't ever think you are "insignificant!!" When my son came home from his mission in 2003, out of habit, the first Sunday he put your first Hymns CD he'd gotten in the mission field to listen to it. The moment I heard the first song "Oh How Lovely Was the Morning" from down the hall I immediately felt the Spirit and came out and asked him "oh my gosh, what is that music?" I was astonished by how the Spirit was so strong - it moved me so much. For years to come, your music has been my constant companion. At the time I worked as an OW in the Oakland Temple every Saturday for a few years - so I then began listening to your CDs on my 2 hour drive back and forth and on my way to my office during the week. I can't tell you how uplifting it was for me in setting the tone for the day and setting the stage for so much personal revelation, it was amazing. I can't thank you enough. Teaching RS and GD I've used your music over and over as prelude or as extras and people have asked me every time "what is that music and where can I get it?" I love to tell them "Paul Cardall." =)

    When I went to the LDS bookstore to buy my own copies of your CD, the manager told me your story of health and childhood, your friend's death and how it inspired you. What a life you have had so far! May the Lord continue to bless you and help you find a heart! You already have such a good one!! You are an inspiration in more ways than one.

    Thanks for posting the videos of you playing your songs - what a treat!!

    ReplyDelete