Thursday, June 11, 2009

More on Paul's Brother Brian

Taser victim was grad student
THE SPECTRUM - BY KEVIN JENKINS • kevin@thespectrum.com • June 11, 2009 - ST. GEORGE

A Northern Arizona University professor said he was horrified to learn about the death Tuesday of graduate student Brian Cardall after Cardall was Tasered by a Hurricane police officer.
Advertisement

"I am outraged and dismayed that such harsh tactics were used on such a kind and gentle human being," said Stephen M. Shuster, professor of invertebrate zoology at NAU where Cardall studied molecular ecology.

"He was a Science Foundation Arizona Fellow at Northern Arizona University and thus was a member of an elite group of graduate student scholars in this state - the intellectual cream of young Arizona scientists," Shuster said. "At Northern Arizona University, he was the standard against which all SFAz Fellows were judged. There was no indication that Brian was having mental problems that I was aware of," he said. "He was a consistently friendly, hard-working, intelligent, witty and even-tempered guy. He was a devoted father and a caring husband."

Read More

11 comments:

  1. Paul,
    What a tragic event this is. Your brother sounds like an amazing person that had so much to give to the world around him. My heart has been broken for your family. You have been in my constant thoughts. May the Lord be with you all. May peace abide in your hearts and may the Lord continue to bless you with His tender mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragedy! Our family has dealt with mental illness issues and I know how devastating they can be. Those who have not lived with someone with a mental illness cannot totally understand. There needs to be much more training and more understanding of these issues.

    Our thoughts and prayers for your entire family at this time. And to you, as you await your heart transplant.

    Understanding Friend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I am so sorry for your loss. This is tragic. We will pray for peace for you and all of your family. God bless you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to update us all. My thoughts and prayers are with your family in your time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video of you siblings made me cry. That was so tender and sweet, you were all so brave and strong to do that. The comments in the article from Brian's professor were so touching to. This is just so sad. I love this song of Alison Krauss, I've never heard it before, it is beautiful. I wish you peace and comfort!

    Love, Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry for your loss...what a wonderful family you have to help get through this challenging time full of heart-break.

    Praying for your peace and comfort as well as that donor heart to come soon for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a horrible tragedy that NEVER should of happened.... :0( My thoughts are prayers are with you like always..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for the loss of your brother.. I am a friend of Anna and Brian's, I spent a lot of time with the two (three including Ava) in Flagstaff. Brian will be dearly missed, and I will never forget the places he's taken me and the things we all enjoyed together. Flagstaff will never be the same...

    I pray for you a transplant, so the healing can go on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am truly, truly, saddend by the tragic loss of your brother. My prayers have already been with you and your family with your journey awaiting a heart transplant. I will pray for comfort and understanding at this difficult time.

    ---Allison Curtis (Ethan's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul,
    I am a friend of Brian's from Logan. I met you at his funeral. The song you played was beautiful and I was quite happy to find it here. I tried to register on your blog to get the song but was not able to proceed beyond typing in my info. Is there a step that I missed?
    I will miss your brother dearly. He was a very special person to a lot of people. Hopefully I will go on to practice things in my life that I learned from him to help him live on.
    I am very sorry for your loss and I wish you the best in getting through this challenging time. I also wish you well in getting through your own personal challenges.

    ReplyDelete