Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Waiting Psychosis and a Few Things I've learned

My wife and I have a phrase called “the waiting psychosis” which is a state of peril, a social stand still or lack of progression where nothing seems to be moving forward until a concluding event. This could happen to a person in my situation whose waited a long time for a life or death surgery, or on bed rest during a difficult pregnancy where you might enjoy new life or none at all, diagnosed with cancer, living in a troubled marriage not knowing if it will last, losing a child to drugs, immorality, or something else. In any of these situations human emotion intensifies and life can seem confusing.

I can’t speak for others but I have learned some important principles in suffering if you’ll permit me to share them with you. Of course, I don’t have a doctorate in philosophy or psychiatry but I am almost an expert witness in these things. I realize that many of you have gone through far greater trials than my own. Survivors of the holocaust could teach us all a thing or two about pain. Please permit me to share with you a few things I’ve observed.

I’ve learned how a person reacts to suffering affects more than just one. When you throw a pebble in a pond there is a rippling effect. How you act or react to your situation effects those around you. It’s ok to be angry, impatient, and frustrated. Voice your concerns to those closest to you and talk through the problem. But, how often do we forget to tell people in our lives how much we love them? Share with them that you appreciate their help and sacrifice in serving you. It’s not a party for them either but together, as Martin Luther King Jr. said, “we shall overcome!”

There are four principles that I have realized help during a difficult situation. They are humility, patience, courage, and service.

First, suffering will humble you and if you aren’t humble hold on to your hat because something at some point in your life, call it deity or whatever, something will happen to remind you that you are powerless against your own situation. In speaking of overcoming a problem one of my favorite political influences Mohandas Gandhi said, “I will combat it by humble love.” He oversaw a peaceful revolution that led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world.

Second, waiting for a concluding event teaches you patience. “Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.” Leo Tolstoy wrote, “The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.”

Third, courage is strength in the face of fear, pain, or grief. There are many great examples of people who overcame their fears and took courage as their course of action. My maternal grandfather was a captain of a gun artillery unit in France during World War II. He led men into battle and was wounded. He reminds me of all those who face war which is the darkest hour of human suffering with all of its death and destruction.

George Ambrose popular book and HBO series Band of Brothers follows the men of East Company from D-Day through the war. A few days after D-Day, they were walking down a road toward a French village when a German machine gun opened fire on them. In spite of their training, the men ducked for cover and froze. The company commander, Dick Winters, knew if they stayed there, his men would be cut down. Lieutenant Winders reacted. He stood up in the middle of the road, away from cover, bullets whistling all around him and ordered his men to move out. His men stared at him, not believing what they were seeing-but only for an instant. The courage of their commanding officer inspired them. They moved out.

You don’t have to go to war to face courage. My father in law raised ten children after my wife’s mother passed away from cancer. He was a schoolteacher and retired early to raise his children who have become great people.

My sister's husband chose to follow his convictions and serve a mission for his church although his own father discouraged him from going.

People like these are my heroes. They do something extraordinary even though it’s hard. “Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point,” said C.S. Lewis.

Fourth, service is love. It is the humble act of giving of your time, talents, and whatever you have to help another person. Accepting service takes humility. Once I realized the growth experienced in serving another is when I understood that to deny someone else the opportunity is to be selfish. David O. Mckay preached, “Happiness is the end, really, of our existence. That happiness comes most effectively through service to our fellow men.” He also said, “It is a principle the application of which promises to supplant discouragement and gloom with hope and gladness; to fill life with contentment and peace everlasting. This being true its acceptance would indeed be a boon today to this distracted, depression-ridden world. Why, then, do men and nations ignore a thing so precious?” The great American poet Maya Angelou said, “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.”

Humility, patience, courage, and service are principles you work at. It takes time. When my doctor opens my chest for the sixth time in my life it won’t be his first time working on a heart. He has been trained. It takes courage, humility, patience, and service to do his job. Surgery is a practice like playing the piano. You work on your skills and spend a lot of time developing your talent. When it comes time to perform you hope that you’ve practiced enough to be the most effective at the most critical time. Likewise, I will hold to these four invaluable principles, which should empower me though the drama of recovery, and any future event that challenges me. I am not perfect and this is why I needed an imperfect heart.

Finally, I find great comfort in a statement made by one of my spiritual guides who passed away from cancer. Neal A. Maxwell recorded, “We tend to think only in terms of our endurance, but it is God’s patient long-suffering which provides us with our chances to improve, affording us urgently needed developmental space or time.” I pondered that word long-suffering, a word used to explain God by almost every great spiritual leader in all kinds of denominations. What does that word mean?

Long-suffering means to be stoic, charitable, understanding, forgiving through the difficulty. I’ve learned that if we endure these challenges with humility and patience and ponder all that we’ve endured, no matter what the circumstance, we will be stoic through the storms of life that our family, friends, or associates face. We will become that much more endowed with power to reach our hand down and grab their hand pulling them up as we all climb this ladder called life.

(Pictures: All photos by Copyright 2009 Jeffery D. Allred, Deseret News, Used by Permission, except the one of my arm)

17 comments:

  1. Paul your writing moves me to tears. You have the gift of touching many with your words and your music. May we all pull each other up the ladder of life. May the Lord bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Paul. One part reminds me of Jax's 4th month in the hospital and I was so sick of hearing people whine about being in the hospital for mere days, when we were passing 100 days. I know realize everyone handles different levels of stress. And we are all the same. Praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you watch Farrah's Story? Very humbling and inspiring. A reminder In the end only kindness matters, as superficial things are taken away. Very humbling to go from World's Best hair to no hair.
    Don't be sad Paul, be happy there is hope with a new heart coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this, Paul. You inspire so many with the way you choose to live your life, the things you write, and the music you create. I, personally, really appreciated reading this post. I hope and pray that a new heart will become available sooner than later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,
    You don't know me, but I have left comments before. I just want to thank you for your inspiring words and journey. When Avery & Gracie passed away in March, I couldn't stop reading all of the "heart blogs."

    My 10 year old niece is waiting for a kidney transplant. My sister was going to be her donor and recently found out that she can't, so I started the process and I found out I am a good match!

    You have inspired me to want to be her donor. You have touch my life...by your music, faith and example. You are spreading awareness to millions of people, even for other types of transplants. Thanks for your courage and strength. I pray that you will feel peace during this time of waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul:
    You have been my daily inspiration. I am praying for you. Maybe one day I will meet you. It would be an honor.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul:
    You have been my daily inspiration. I am praying for you. Maybe one day I will meet you. It would be an honor.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sat here the other night reading your whole blog. Your such an inspiration Paul.
    This post so true waiting is a tough thing but lessons come from as we wait.
    Praying for a new heart and many blessings for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul,
    I saw an article about you and checked out your site. I just want you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My son received a heart transplant 18 years ago. He has just turned 20 and is attending college. Hang in there.

    Susan May
    www.susanCmay.com
    Nick's New Heart-available now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul,

    Your "daily devotionals" are so uplifting and inspiring. Thank you!

    Keeping you in our prayers,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Thank you for always giving me much needed insight and understanding into your life and thoughts. They are truly inspiring and as always make me want to be a better wife, friend, mom and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing what the Lord is teaching you through this trial. While I know it is not a platform you would ever have chosen, God is using your story and life to challenge and encourage others. Blessings and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul, I am so sorry to hear about your brother, Brian. In all the suffering your family is experiencing right now, God must have some incredible blessings in store for you. My condolences to you and your family. You are in my prayers.
    -Kayleen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul -
    Just heard about your brother and wanted you to know how devastated we are for your family. I know that Heavenly Father is very aware of you and truly does compensate for every loss. Your words of faith strengthen us always and now we pray that our prayers will strengthen you and your family.
    The Knight Family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post.

    It's hard to get through a prolonged trial. Some days it seems like things just keep happening and happening, and I wonder if there is ever an end in sight.

    But I wonder sometimes, what exactly is the end?

    Rhett has had health complications from the moment he came into this world over 3 years ago.

    His heart, his lungs, his intestines, his stomach, his spinal cord. He's been a mess. But he's MY mess and I wouldn't trade him for anything. For me it has been that I just need to accept that he is going to have health issues his whole life. For our family that is what "the end" is. Acceptance.

    Whenever we go through yet another trial we are told that we must have many blessings in store for us, and that we are blessed because Heavenly Father knew we would be strong enough to endure it.

    I disagree. I believe that I have been given these trials because Heavenly Father knew how weak I was and that I needed to be strengthend. I am not sure why having trials would make us have greater blessings than anyone else. I think we are all equal, but I also believe that we made our choice before we came to this earth, and we knew what we would be going through.

    Over the last three years of health issues for Rhett, my husband breaking his back, loosing job after job, our home, our vehicles, selling nearly everything we own just to pay for medical bills, I would have to say that it has been one of the most personal strengthing journey's I have been on my entire life.

    I think that is *my* blessing.

    My heart goes out to your and your family. You are an inspiration.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you always.

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    The Bird Flock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul, we just heard about your brother. We are really sorry for your loss. Your family will continue to be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From the comments, I guess the name Cardall in the news is your brother. I am so sorry for you, your mom, his wife, his children. Your whole family. I know that you rely so much on your faith, and I would think that your family will have that foundation in such a difficult time. And yet, grief is still a struggle.

    It amazes me how precious life is. How our days are numbered, and that sometimes we have time to contemplate our lives as our journey nears its end and other times we are living unaware to the approaching moment. Sometimes it is a blessing to have "the waiting psychosis" as it keeps us on-guard (I've read previous posts where you mention this, how you don't take your precious days with your family for granted, don't stress over the "little things"). It gives us some time to reason different scenarios out, and make plans and preparations for different paths. And yet, the word psychosis is also a good choice. Being forced to focus in so intently can just drive us crazy! The balance is so hard!

    I believe it is not up to *us* to find the balance. That is what the Mediator is for. He mediates between extremes and walks decisively in a straight and narrow path between them. And He calls us, as our Shepherd, away from these extremes and to Him.

    I wonder what God has in store for you and your family. Even more I wonder for myself and my own family. And I am grateful for your insights to help me in my journey.

    ReplyDelete