Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How Is it that I Get By?

People have asked me over and over how it is that I get by? Even now with the tragic death of my brother who I am so close too. How do any of us get by? For me, it's almost impossible to explain a spiritual feeling deep in my soul that keeps me focused and reminds me that life is temporary but how we choose to act in this life is eternal. It doesn't make life any easier only more tolerable.

After learning of my failing heart I submitted a blog called Good News. Here are a few paragraphs from that entry:

"What gives me comfort and peace? The love I feel from my wife, family, and friends. Thanks to all of you we literally feel the arms of God around us."

"I also find great comfort in my faith. I know that God lives. Jesus is the Christ. He is my friend. Life is part of a three act play. We are now experiencing the challenges of the 2nd act. In time, all of us will begin act three as we pass through death and wait for the resurrection made possible by Jesus Christ who loosed the bands of physical death. All of us receive that divine gift because of His kindness and power. We will have new and improved bodies to enjoy eternal life in the presence of good and kind people."

"Some of us may need a physical transplant but we must also, all of us, experience a spiritual transplant. I strive for that every day of my life because I know I am far from perfect in kindness and friendship. But, through faith, repentance, and baptism we may begin the process of having our spiritual heart transplant made possible by the suffering of our Savior in Gethsemane and on the Cross. Because of Jesus we don't have to die spiritually. He will heal our hearts and we will feel free."

I feel peace because of your prayers, thoughts, and hopes in my behalf! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You are true friends and family.

Once again, Lyrics to My Life's Anthem (Bring the Rain by Mercyme)

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that
I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll
be days
When this life brings me pain

But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain


I am yours regardless of
the clouds that may
loom above
because you are much greater than
my pain
you who made a way for me
suffering is
Your destiny
so tell me whats a little rain?


Learn more about my faith and the root of what aids me in times of trial:
http://thedoctrineofchrist.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Left a comment over here awhile ago about the fundraiser I am doing to raise awareness about organ donation..not sure if you saw it.

    My Dad got a heart 6 years ago and this is my way of giving back and saying thanks to the donor family for choosing to give life.

    Just wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you. My entire family truly understands what the wait you are going through is like.

    Hallie
    http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your heartfelt journey with us. We all have our own journeys to travel here on earth, but hearing of yours has prompted me to spend a little more time loving up my kids this morning... our prayers are with you and your family,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was half as strong as you are. Praying still for your family and your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the same feeling I expressed in my blog about my recent hospital stay for my heart cath. My family brings me so much peace and comfort. It's PRICELESS!

    Thanks, Paul, for reminding us all who is in charge and where our GREATEST comfort comes from. Families are from God. Why else would we feel such love and comfort among such beautiful people?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for the promise of a new an improved body in the next life--free from all the ailments we face in this life. But I'm continually thankful for the compensating power of the Atonement along the way. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog for a while now. My son also has CHD and we learned of your blog through IHH. We to have been given many trials, beyond our son having CHD, in our lives. Some days I feel like I can't go on. But most of the time we do take it a day at a time and just keep moving forward. Thank you for your example of faith and strength. You are a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your blog so much! With the background of inspired music and your testimony in nearly every post, I feel strengthened.

    My trials are different from yours but I am touched to be a better person and draw near to my Heavenly Father because of you. What a wonderful gift you give me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete