Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Brother and The Irony of Life

As our family copes with with my brother Brian's tragic death, and I ponder what has happened, I'd like to re-post my blog titled The Irony of Life from April 30, 2009. I do not know the meaning of all things? But, I know that God loves His children. Also, I'd like to mention another scripture that reads, "He that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed." (Doctrine & Covenants 42:48)

THE IRONY OF LIFE

Life is full of ironies. A prominent thoracic surgeon who was scheduled to do my procedure, and who has saved hundreds of kid's lives, has cancer and will be unable to return to the operating room. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this incredibly difficult time.

Another one of life's ironies is that my thoughts and prayers are constantly with a family whose husband; son, father, mother, wife, or daughter will be my donor. If I only knew who they were could I warn them? Could we stop whatever calamity is coming? This is a very sobering predicament. Like the young single mother who gives her child away to a married couple for adoption, there is an almost indescribable sacrifice, which takes place.

Video Courtesy of KSL.com



My wife works with babies fresh from Heaven while I have a friend who buried people for his profession until he sold his business. On and on it goes and the irony of life and death is fascinating, sobering, difficult, and mysterious.

Where do we find comfort in all of this? It's almost impossible for me to discuss such strange diversions in life without acknowledging my faith in a loving Heavenly Father who knows and understands all things.

A spiritual hero of mine and theologian leader Neil A. Maxwell wrote, "Irony is the hard crust on the bread of adversity. Irony can try both our faith and our patience. Irony can be a particularly bitter form of such chastening because it involves disturbing incongruity. It involves outcomes in violation of our expectations. We see the best laid plans laid waste."

He continues, "With its inverting of our anticipated consequences, irony becomes the frequent cause of an individual’s being offended. The larger and the more untamed one’s ego, the greater the likelihood of his being offended, especially when tasting his portion of vinegar and gall."

"Words then issue, such as Why me? Why this? Why now? Of course, these words may give way to subsequent spiritual composure. Sometimes, however, such words precede bitter inconsolability, and then it is a surprisingly short distance between disappointment and bitterness."

Maxwell further suggests, "Amid life’s varied ironies, you and I may begin to wonder, did not God notice this torturous turn of events? And if He noticed, why did He permit it? Am I not valued?"

"Irony may involve not only unexpected suffering but also undeserved suffering. We feel we deserved better, and yet we fared worse. We had other plans, even commendable plans. Did they not count? A physician, laboriously trained to help the sick, now, because of his own illness, cannot do so."

And finally, Neil Maxwell concludes, "In coping with irony, as in all things, we have an Exemplary Teacher in Jesus. Dramatic irony assaulted Jesus’ divinity almost constantly.

"For Jesus, in fact, irony began at His birth. Truly, He suffered the will of the Father “in all things from the beginning.” This whole earth became Jesus’ footstool, but at Bethlehem there was “no room … in the inn” and “no crib for his bed”

"At the end, meek and lowly Jesus partook of the most bitter cup without becoming the least bitter. The Most Innocent suffered the most. Yet the King of Kings did not break, even when some of His subjects did unto Him “as they listed.” Christ’s capacity to endure such irony was truly remarkable."

"You and I are so much more brittle. For instance, we forget that, by their very nature, tests are unfair."

A scripture reads something like, "I do not know the meaning of all things? But, I know that God loves His children."

And another which provides great comfort says, "The spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life...those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."

Often, in my mind flow the words of another spiritual hero, Joseph Smith, who wrote, "I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; … knocking off a corner here and a corner there. Thus I will become a smooth and polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty."

All of my life's challenges and mountains to climb have brought me closer to my family and to God. I would not trade them for all the money in the world. These things are difficult and discouraging at times but there is much greater suffering in the world than my own. And through it all I am comforted knowing that God is my friend.

Visit my blog titled My Faith in Jesus


Read the full sermon "Irony: The Crust on the Bread of Adversity" by Neil A. Maxwell

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    I am impressed with how much faith and love your family expresses in that short media clip.

    You have a gift of making others feel that what they are experiencing is most important, even among, as you point out, the ironies of this earthly life.

    My prayers are with you and your family.

    Love
    Kim Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful and comforting words. Our Love and Prayers are with you all. Your family is truly an example of our Savior Jesus Christ. May you feel of your brothers great spirit and relish in your fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, but somehow, I found your blog and have been following your journey for the past several months. I have purchased your music and love listening on my way to work nearly every day. My prayers are with you and your family. What a difficult time when you are striving so hard for life, to lose your brother. I have also lost my brother and am very familiar with the pain as well as the comfort that comes from knowing what you know.

    I hope you can feel of my prayers, even though I don't know you and you don't know me. I do feel deeply for you and pray for your well-being. When I lived in Utah, I watched your father on TV regularly. I so admire his work. You must be lucky, as I am, to have a great father. I loved his piece on marathoning that you posted.

    Please know of my love and admiration.....even from Iowa. I will continue to follow and hope and pray for you and your wonderful family. Thank you for your inspiration to all of us when you are struggling so hard yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have, is a thank-you for those words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful post. I don't know what to say, and I don't know if it really matters right now. Just know that there are many people praying for your family and for his beautiful wife, daughter, and unborn baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire me. I wish I had inspiring words for you. Just as Lacy said, There are many people praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry.

    It is very hard to loose someone you love so dearly...

    My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said and well written. Maxwell's words are so deep and profound. Its amazing to look back and see the Lord's hand in everything and where he's been quiding you and your family before this tragdy. We pray too that a heart will come soon for you too.

    Love & Peace, Chelsea & John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a member of your family, especially at such a young age. God be with you til you meet again. I am praying for your heart, I believe that after what you have been though this week, losing your brother that when you do get your heart it will be all the more precious because you will truly understand what the donor family is going through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first heard this on the news I immediately wondered if this was your brother! Asking myself...hasn't their family had enough hardships and trials?

    So sorry for your family's loss. Thank you for your amazing example of faith and endurance.

    Always praying for your family with love,

    Mason's Mommy Summer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your incredible faith moves me......and makes me greatful for my own life and that of those I love and hold dear. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking of all of this. As I go throughout the day, I am reminded of the strange way things unfold, unexpected twists and turns. "I don't know the meaning of all things, but I know that God loves His children." ... "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your loss, Paul, touches us all and your words are an example of comfort that we all can glean from. Thank you for your amazing spirit and the love and faith that you have. God bless Brian's little family -- there are difficult days ahead for them, but if "God brought them to it, He can bring them through it!" And God bless you as you continue your vigil of waiting, perhaps having a greater appreciation for loss!

    I love your music and find it uplifts me every day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey you guys...
    We have been thinking about you a lot this week. We are so sorry that this happened. We have not seen Brian for a long time-but he was an awesome guy and we feel lucky to have known him. Our prayers are with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been a silent reader for the last few months, and wanted to offer my condolences to you and your family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Liz D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often visit your site wanting to leave you with words of wisdom, faith, and comfort... but I always leave having been uplifted and comforted by *your* words! I know this is because you are much more experienced in these things than I. I cannot begin to tell you how much I admire and appreciate your words and your wise insight... your faith and your patience in adversity. You are such an inspiration! Thank you! You and your beautiful family are thought of often, and prayed for; I wish you love and peace of heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete