Friday, May 15, 2009

Pulmonary Function Test

The Pulmonary Function Test is quite the joy ride. No, not really. But, the PFT does help cardiologists understand how strong my lungs are when I breath based on the forced volume vital capacity.

For the test you basically sit on a chair in a tall empty glass booth with a device that you put into your mouth connected to a computer. The booth is sealed up and you breath into a 1.5 inch tube. A respiratory therapist guides you through a series of breathing exercises.

PROCEDURE

Generally, the patient is asked to take the deepest breath they can, and then exhale into the sensor as hard as possible, for as long as possible. It is sometimes directly followed by a rapid inhalation (inspiration), in particular when assessing possible upper airway obstruction.

Sometimes, the test will be preceded by a period of quiet breathing in and out from the sensor (tidal volume), or the rapid breath in (forced inspiratory part) will come before the forced exhalation.

During the test, soft nose clips may be used to prevent air escaping through the nose. Filter mouthpieces may be used to prevent the spread of microorganisms, particularly for inspiratory maneuvers.

They also had me walk up and down a hallway for 6 minutes checking my pulse, saturation levels, and blood pressure. I actually did pretty good given the fact I have a heart almost the size of my head.

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for sharing all that you do. I also really appreciate the music that plays on your blog. It is so inspiring and strengthening. I am grateful you have your testimony and so much love around you. As the mother of a special needs child,I know those are what help to take the sting out of the hard times.

    Wishing all the best in life for you and yours....

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 10 yr old has had many PFT's. He has asthma. I'm glad your lungs were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for the insight into your experience. I'm sure my son will be participating in that type of test in the years to come, especially since on top of tricuspid atresia he has asthma.

    On a lighter note...your little booth made me laugh, because it looks like the "fake tanning" booth I was in earlier this evening...also with a voice to guide me through the procedure!
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    Just wanted to let you know that we are still praying for you and your cute family. I check your blog multiple times a day. I hope that things are well. We will be up to PCMC on Thursday, maybe we will see you then. Take care!!!

    Shauntelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I think you've had your share of tests.

    It's a good thing they didn't test the harmful effects of Vanilla Ice music on heart patients.

    That could have been catastrophic.

    ReplyDelete