Saturday, January 17, 2009

Do I miss my day job?

People keep asking me if I miss my day job? No, I don’t. At least, I haven’t until today.

I play the piano and run a small independent record label called Stone Angel Music. Our artists mostly record peaceful instrumentals. The music we produce has been a major part of my life.

It was last fall when my health began failing and doctors listed me for the transplant that I canceled a little over 20 gigs and stopped spending time promoting the music.

But, that’s the difficult part. I miss playing for people. And more particular, I miss sharing my life’s philosophy in a concert or fireside setting.

I think I’ve been blessed not to really think about it. I guess it’s the drama of the unknown and the fact that all I can think about is my wife and little girl. I want more time with them and I don’t want anything to get in the way.

I look forward to recovering from the challenging surgery. It will be a difficult road for many months. But, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything. I am learning a great deal about life and it’s purpose. You come to understand a great deal about the character of your family, friends, and other associates.

I’m getting anxious. I want to do so much in this life and give back to those who’ve selflessly served and sacrificed time for my family and me.

And, yes, I have music in me. It’s building up. I can feel it. Hopefully, with faith, prayers, and the incredible medical team, I’ll get chance to let it out.

Oh yea, listen to some of our music.
www.stoneangelmusic.com

(This is what I do during the day now - but, I don't dress up for the gig. And, that's my wife.)

7 comments:

  1. You got a haircut. Looks great! I really miss you and I too am getting anxious. I know it will happen at the right time with the best heart for you. Sure love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Can't wait to hear the new music you will produce after the transplant. I know it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt that you will be back into it all once you get your new heart. I was AMAZED at what a difference a new, healthy, functioning heart will make. The first time I saw her after transplant I couldn't believe how pink she was and she was no longer sweating!!! Kaidence is doing great and if you were to see her with other children her age, you would never know what she has been through. She can even keep up with her big brothers. The whole post transplant journey has been much better than I was expecting (and I tend to be a "hopeful" person). We have had some bumps in the road but I must say that the hardest part was the waiting for that pager to go off. I wish you the very best. You will be in our prayers and I love that you still get to go to PCMC....that's awesome! Maybe we will run into sometime....hopefully in "transplant" clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister, Rebecca is a good friend of mine. We were in her ward in Texas before we moved to Sandy. She gave me one of your cd's and we love it! We were so glad that we got to attend a fireside you gave there and it was wonderful. My children also love your music. My husband has had 3 open heart surgeries and eventually had his aortic valve replaced at age 15. He is healthy and I am so grateful for the advances in technology that have given him his life. We wish you and your family all the best and you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave just said last night that he can't wait until you can come to visit us in Vegas and do a fireside for our youth here! We too cannot wait for the amazing things that will happen after the surgery!! The music will be incredible, as will the rest of your life I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,
    I had no idea you were going through all this right now! We moved to Indiana for Matt to get his MBA.

    I have such great memories of hanging out at Evergreen. My favorite were all the Dr. Demento tapes you made for me. Fishheads, fishheads, rolly polly fish heads!

    We will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete