Thursday, January 29, 2009

What is it that you think about?

(This is me in 1987 recovering from post fontan open heart surgery - Surgeons opened my chest 3 separate times during this stay because of additional problems)

A close friend of mine asked me, “with your situation what is it that you think about?” That is a good question. When you’re waiting for an event to happen that could determine your fate what do you think about?

For me, it’s a chance to take a look back at life and reflect on events and who you’ve become and where you’re headed.

What consume my mind are what matters most to me, my playful little 3 year old and my beautiful angel of a wife.

It’s so unfortunate that millions of men don’t know what I am talking about. Comedian Jerry Seinfeld, who was popular for his long bachelor life, said, when asked about his new-found family life and fatherhood, “What the hell was I thinking? My child and wife are everything to me.”

4 comments:

  1. Family, family, family, husband, kids, brother, sister, mom, dad, friends, people. That is what we all should think about. Just imagine what this world would be like if everyone did. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have an amazing wife! Thanks for choosing wisely in that department, I love having a great friend as a sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear these kinds of reminders. It's so easy when things get busy and hectic to forget what a blessing family really is.

    I hope a lot of people are reading your blog. I know it helps me keep perspective. Thank you for letting us share in this frightening journey.

    We are praying for you,

    - Chas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and have been reading your inspiring story. I have a son with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome who is 9 1/2yrs, but I worry about his future especially since almost one year ago our fifth child was born with TGA and surgery didn't go as planned and she passed away. So of course I worry. I'm happy to hear you were able to serve a mission and marry and start a family, I hope for these things for my son. I think the most important thing is for us to stay close to the Savior. I'll pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete