Friday, February 6, 2009

Getting Out / 100g Protein / P.V.C.

Yesterday at clinic my transplant cardiologist Melanie Everitt said my lab work looked good. I have more color in my face because I am no longer anemic. I am also feeling better than I have been, given our circumstances.

I was able to take my family on a few outings this past week, which we haven’t done in a long time.

Here’s a few pictures:
We visited down-town Salt Lake City and saw some historical sites; i.e. Mormon Tabernacle; we also had some good friends take us to dinner for big juicy protein steaks. I am eating like 100 grams of protein each day.


This is all good news! I need to be strong for the transplant operation. It will help in the recovery.

I am fortunate to have wonderful doctors and nurses. I feel a great connection with each one of them and I trust their judgment.

But, again, every time I go into the children hospital to receive care I see kids in hard circumstances. But, I'm at peace knowing a few of the people who are providing their medical care.

We did learn that my heart is having premature ventricular contraction (PVC), also known as ventricular premature beat (VPB) or extrasystole, is a form of irregular heartbeats in which the ventricle contracts prematurely. This may be perceived as a "skipped beat" or as palpitations. So for the past 24 hours my heart has been monitored to see how often I have them.

Possible triggers of PVC – I commented on each of these.

* Anxiety/Stress (I have some of this)
* Chocolate (I do eat a lot of this)
* Caffeine (Coca-Cola, yes)
* Cocaine or other stimulant (No)
* Calcium/magnesium imbalance (Yes, I have this)
* Dehydration (sometimes)
* Exercise (I don’t do this)
* Hormonal imbalance (Nope)
* Hypercapnia (CO2 poisoning) (I have no idea)
* Hyperstimulation of the Vagus nerve (Not sure)
* Lack of sleep/exhaustion (Yes, this is true)
* Overeating (A little bit)
* Low copper (I don’t eat pennies)
* MSG (I think this is in a bunch of the food I eat)

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you have been able to spend some time, out and about, with your family. You remain in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that picture of you and Eden looking at each other is my favorite. I'm so glad Dave was able to spend time with you guys and have such a great night! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, thank you so much for stopping by Noah's Adventure and for your kind words.

    I look forward to following your story and my prayers are with you and that heart of yours.

    Crystal
    (Noah's Mommy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,

    I saw your request to become a member of Intermountain Healing Hearts, which I was excited to see.
    I am hopeful that soon things will get better and you will get that much needed transplant.
    Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to help ease this trial.
    Heart Hugs,
    Carolyn Quigley
    President, IHH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your joining Intermountain Healing Hearts and for sharing your story. I am Ben's mom. He is almost 3 months old and has spent his whole life at PCMC. He has had three open heart surgeries including his heart transplant one week ago today. I have often wondered what wonderful things he will experience in the future and I felt such great hope seeing the pictures of your family and the quality of your lives and how much you have been blessed. Thank you for your faith and strength; from a little family just starting out on this road, it sure means a lot. We will add you and your family to our prayers. Feel free to track Ben's progress too. Ü --Angela Hamer

    ReplyDelete