Monday, January 12, 2009

No More Handshaking | Chocolate Medicine or Venofer®? | More on P.L.E.

Doctors suggest I wash my hands all of the time and try to avoid shaking hands with people. They also suggest I try to avoid large groups of people because they tell me I am extremely immunosuppressed and anything could get me sick. If this happens it stalls the heart transplant. I need to stay free of all bugs. This is tough because I enjoy being with my large family and attending my Church which is my other family.

Chocolate Medicine or Venofer®?
Because of my heart failure I am anemic. So for the past 5 days I have received an iron transfusion through an IV each morning for an hour in addition to the 3,000 other medications I am taking.

Venofer® is used to replenish body iron stores in patients with iron deficiency. It is also a brown, sterile, aqueous complex of polynuclear iron (III)-hydroxide. But, I told my daughter it was chocolate medicine.

Iron deficiency is the most common deficiency disease worldwide. More than 1 billion people have iron deficiency, and about 700 million people have iron deficiency anemia. Iron is an essential nutrient that is needed by every human cell. It plays a valuable role in the transport and storage of oxygen and oxidative metabolism, and in cell growth and proliferation.

PROTEIN-LOSING ENTEROPATHY
SO - I have P.L.E. which is the main reason we're in a rush to get a heart. This disease could eventually kill me. I know it might be boring but I add these blogs to my journal and so I need to document this information:

Background

Protein-losing enteropathy is characterized by the severe loss of serum proteins into the intestine. Normal protein loss in the gastrointestinal tract mainly consists of sloughed enterocytes and pancreatic and biliary secretions. Albumin loss through the gastrointestinal tract normally accounts for 2-15% of the total body degradation of albumin, but, in patients with severe protein-losing gastrointestinal disorders, the enteric protein loss may reach up to 60% of the total albumin pool.

The serum protein level reflects the balance between protein synthesis, metabolism, and protein loss. Protein-losing enteropathy is characterized by more loss of proteins via the gastrointestinal tract than synthesis leading to hypoalbuminemia. It is not a single disease, but an atypical manifestation of other diseases.

Pathophysiology

The pathophysiology of this disorder is directly related to the excessive leakage of plasma proteins into the lumen of the gastrointestinal tract. Mechanisms for gastrointestinal protein loss include lymphatic obstruction, mucosal disease with erosions, ulcerations, or increased mucosal permeability to proteins as a result of cell damage or death. Proteins entering the gastrointestinal tract are metabolized into constituent amino acids by gastric, pancreatic, and small intestinal enzymes and are reabsorbed. When the rate of gastrointestinal protein loss exceeds the body's capacity to synthesize new proteins, hypoproteinemia develops.

Medical Care

Focus treatment on correcting the underlying process causing the protein-losing gastroenteropathy. For example, the patient with congestive heart failure may respond to digitalis and diuretics, whereas the patient with intestinal parasites should be treated with the appropriate medication for the infestation.

Diet

A low-fat diet with supplementation with medium-chain triglycerides is theoretically of benefit in patients with lymphangiectasias. However, in practice, ingesting a diet containing medium-chain triglycerides results in increased blood flow with no reduction in fecal protein loss.

4 comments:

  1. It does make it so complicated and the time of the year where virus and illness are all around! I am sorry your pretty much quarentine (sp?) but in the long run your health and safety are the most important! You can be like a newborn baby and stand in the window and wave at everyone:)
    I am sorry and praying your new heart takes affect soon, I love reading all the medical terms but I am sorry you have to go through it to knowledge the rest of us. Hang in there! By the way my girls LOVE your cd Coming to Eden, they listen to it every morning on the way to school and say we love Eden's dad playing the Piano...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, even though I have been an avid fan for the past 11 years, I had no idea until TODAY that you were put on the transplant list. (I know, Im a BAD fan, I just haven't looked at the website for about a year!) But I have kept up with your music and LOVE Living for Eden..
    Ironically, my son has a significant congenital heart defect as well and has had his fontane. He is 7 and is "status quo" for now, no complaints! I have emailed you this info long ago, but want to brief you once again. Your music has played a very important role to me as a mother greiving for a sick child, as well as for my son during his hospital stays. As an infant, it was very evident that your piano music soothed him during his most difficult times! We almost lost him after the Norwood and Fontane (the Glen for some reason was a breeze!)but I faithfully played your music during ALL of his hospital stays and made sure the nurses at Primary's kept it on when I was not present. I KNEW it calmed him and thank you for your beautiful talent and for the way is has touched me and my family. I now give your CD's to those I know personally suffering at Primary Children's.
    As for your transplant...I wish you all the best. (We will eventually be facing the same situation with our son). You are in good hands however, I LOVE the docs an nurses at PCMC and having your wife be a nurse, what a bonus! (I am a nurse too, and though I do not work, it helps tremendously as I care for my 5children and deal with all the hospitalizations with my son)
    Bitter sweet Christmas morning I bet, but as we all know too well, the Lord has a plan and it is on HIS time! I will be praying for family, especially for your lovley wife and daughter and hope for the BEST.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to think about, and pray for you Paul. Your music has and will continue to be a staple in our music library. It is a wonderful thing that .mp3's don't wear out! It is also probably a good thing that the football season is over. All those 'heart-breaking' cougar losses couldn't have helped your health much! Go UTES!!! Take care friend and, as always, God bless.

    ReplyDelete