Thursday, January 8, 2009

Primary Children's Medical Center

I am fortunate to receive all of my care from the good folks at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm 35 but the oldest baby on the planet so they oblige. Actually, all of the experts and surgeons who specialize in my heart's anatomy and birth defect are there. I grew up going to this hospital when it was high up in the avenues up above the state capital and Mormon temple. Now, it is located on the University of Utah campus and next to the University Hospital where a lot of advances in medicine were developed.

Every time I go there I am deeply affected by the amount of ill children who I see. They are so helpless and hurting. Many are scared and some alone. I remember being there myself as a child and having the same emotions. But, there could not be a better place and staff to accommodate them and their families. These children bring a special feeling to the center. I believe angels walk the halls and provide a comforting spirit.


I'm also amazed at the advances in medicine since I was a child. When I went last week to have my picc replaced in radiology I saw a hallway with a sign that read "MRI". This was incredible because when I was 13 and dying with a staff infection in my heart we had to travel to LDS hospital in an ambulance to have an MRI. In fact, the MRI had only been there in Utah for 6 months. The full body scan would help doctors locate my staff infection and prepare surgeons which prolonged my life. Also, when I was there 2 months ago in the intensive care a nurse who I had not seen since I was 14 came to my bedside and we had a great discussion. There are many great folks who are still there and they remember the kids.

I'm very honored and feel greatly blessed to receive my care from the people at Primary Children's Hospital. As one of their patients I feel like a black sheep among some of God's purest sons and daughters. When you pray this week keep in mind the kids up there in that hospital even though we don't know their names, faces, or stories.

5 comments:

  1. What a great post...it made me a bit teary. We have several friends who's children have had treatment at PCMC. In fact we have talked at length with our kids about PCMC during the "Pennies by the Inch" drive and told them that you are alive because of this wonderful facility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. One of my kids has a congenital eye condition which takes us there a few times a year. Every time we sit feeling so grateful and humbled by the fact that we have such a blessing; to have access to such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got caught up on your latest adventure on Christmas Day (the false alarm). There's never a dull moment with you guys, huh! All I can say is, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our darling grand daugther (Noelle - born 12/14/08)is currently in Primary Children's PICU recovering from her first open heart surgery related to tricuspid atresia and TGA.

    We are grateful her parents moved to Utah two years ago to be "closer to family." We are even more grateful to have Primary Children's in close proximity.

    Utah not only has the "Greatest Snow on Earth," but also the "Greatest PICU on Earth." This is the "right place!"

    Thank you for being a beacon of light, hope and faith for the journey our precious grand daughter (and our entire family)are embarking on.

    Angels do walk the halls of Primary Children's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through a friend who's son has a congeital heart defect. . . I hope you don't mind me reading it. I was very touched by this post-my daughter was at PCMC for a long time when she was a small baby, the wonderful Drs and nurses there saved her life and I will always have a special place in my heart for PCMC. Angels truly do walk the those halls. I hope you get your new heart soon.

    ReplyDelete