Sunday, August 9, 2009

Did you just say esophagogastroduodenoscopy?

If my toddler read this entry she would probably ask if I learned it watching “Sid the Science Kid.” Unfortunately, when it comes to medicine I learn from experience.

The twice-daily lovenox shots I shied away from almost 8 months ago are now as painless as brushing your teeth. Designers of the insulin just need to sharpen the needles to get through thickening scar tissue. And so it goes with lab work, tests, and now minor outpatient surgery.

Cardiologists Melanie Everitt and Angela Yetman have been concerned about possible esophageal varices, which are extremely dilated sub-mucosal veins in my lower esophagus. They are most often a consequence of portal hypertension, commonly due to cirrhosis; patients with esophageal varices have a strong tendency to develop bleeding. It would make an already difficult transplant recovery much more challenging.

And so this past Monday I underwent a minor outpatient procedure referred to as an upper gastrointestinal test or esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Can you believe that word? You would think Mary Poppins had made it up.

Nonetheless, Dr. Dan Jackson at Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah performs these all of the time and pronounces the word perfectly.

I walked into the operating room, laid flat on the narrow table a top what I call a patient's Tempur-Pedic mattress. I enjoyed some brief conversation with a few of the surgical nurses while a gifted anesthesiologist put me to sleep. I probably didn't get to finish what I was saying. Nonetheless, it was not very important.

While subdued, Dr. Jackson inserted a tube down my throat into my stomach. He pushed a minature camera in a pill form through me. Fortunately, he found no major concerns. There are a few varices in the lower third of my esophagus but nothing that needed banding.

While subdued Dr. Everitt was kind enough to arrange the removal of my existing picc line and reinsert in the same vein a double lumen picc so I can begin receiving nutritional formulas containing salts, glucose, amino acids, lipids and added vitamins this coming week. It is called total parenteral nutrition (TPN) and will help my body stay tuned up for major surgery.

Earlier that day my father Duane and wife Lynnette volunteered to keep me company. We’ve been through this before and so they came equipped with laptops and books to keep them busy.

I often feel sorry for the many parents who’ve come for the first time with nothing to do but pace the floor and watch Hanna Montana on the children’s hospital network television. Of course, I’m not sure what’s worse? Having surgery, or watching Zac & Cody on Disney channel and learning how suite their life is?

As of today, my sore throat is gone. But, at some point, I bit my lip and developed a few canker sores. No matter, I'm very pleased with the results and the procedure was practically painless.

15 comments:

  1. I do hate sitting in that waiting room. I always bring my laptop so I can watch movies or surf the internet. Now you get to start TPN with everything else you have to carry around. Its probably much different as an adult carrying that stuff around yourself as we carry it around for our babies. Wow, its like full circle. I'm glad the procedure went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear things went well. And also a very educational post for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you year benchmark approaches I think of you and your family OFTEN!! I think the big man upstairs is just waiting for the biggest, best "baddest", beautiful heart there is....nothing too ordinary would suit his Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that procedure went well. Shared the CHD video with some family and friends...they all loved it, we all cried!Great work my friend, great work. May the Lord bless you and your family always...you still have lots of work to do here, I just know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that things went well for your procedure. Dr. Everett is wonderful. She has taken care of my nieces daughter Kaidence. I hope and prat that you gift comes soon for you.
    I followed Gracie's beautiful story and was so touched by the beautiful music that you wrote to celebrate her sweet life.
    Our love and prayers are with you as you patiently continue your journey. Debbie Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. What, You don't like Zack and Cody?? :) I am glad that you are feeling little pain from the procedure. If you are coming by tomorrow, please feel free to stop by! We are on the floor in 3088 and will be sure to save you and Lynette (even Eden!) a slushie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always inspired by your posts. Your positive attitude always makes me want to be better. Oh, and we have three boys and Zac and Cody are a common occurence in our house, so I feel your pain with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO sorry you had to endure this, but so glad it is over now and the results were good.
    Try AMOSAN for your canker sores. It comes in little packets that you add water and swish. Or Gly oxide in a bottle.
    Works wonders for us cheek biters ;)
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got so sick of "Zac and Cody" and "Hannah Montana" during those 23 days that we were at Primary Children's for Heather's EEG's. But, I must say, the room service for the kids rivals the "Suite Life". :) Glad to hear your procedure went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well. That is so smart to get a nice 'tune up' so that you are ready for the big day. Do you get in trouble like Kaidence does if she does not gaining any weight?

    Paul,
    I Love the new picture of Christ guiding the surgeons. I am still crying, it touched my heart deeply. For that is what we would fast and pray for often when Kaidence was going in for any surgery. It brought back a flood of memorys. Do you know where I can find a picture to put in Kaidence's scrapbook? Can I put it on my blog as well?

    We look for you whenever we are up at the hospital but must be on off schedules. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paul,
    My mother-in-law lives in your parents ward, and I worked with your mother many years ago at a department store that's no longer at Cottonwood Mall (of course there are no stores at the mall now!)Anyway my mother-in-law mentioned you today and I have seen your blog around and put two and two together! I think of your brother a lot. My son is bi-polar, just 20 years olds. I am trying to get him to write a blog. I think he could help others. I wish you all the best. Your mother's a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hhmmmmmm, what's worse watching Suite Life, or sending my baby into th OR? I've done both more than a couple of times & I have to say it's a toss up. I don't enjoy either much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I think of you and your sweet little family, I pray that Heavenly Father will give you a new heart. So almost daily you are in my prayers. I don't think I've ever prayed so much before for someone I've never met. But I love your music and I want you to be able to do more and more and more!

    Hang in there! You're gonna make it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr Jackson does an EGD for my daughter every other year, for her issues with Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. You know you are in yet another pair of good hands.

    Thanks for your example of submitting cheerfully (Mosiah 24:15). God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul, it is getting exciting for us knowing that you are being prepared in so many ways for your surgery...the doctors are gearing up, you body is being prepared to its optimum healing ability, you just learned to trust the magic anestesiologist even more (see no gagging, you were zzzzzz), your daughter is getting wiser and wiser, and well Lynette looks like a girl prepared for anything tough...she'll get you through. While WE are excited YOU are probably getting more anxiety than we can imagine. Prayers for you,
    Owen's Grandma

    ReplyDelete