Friday, August 21, 2009

An Inspiring Man: Gary Ceran

I read an extremely inspiring column in yesterday's newspaper about Gary Ceran whose family I was fortunate to help two years ago as part of a benefit concert with other musicians.

Blessed by adversity: Utah man refuses to wallow in past
"Life. It throws change-ups. And nobody is exempt. No one wins them all. Or were you not watching what happened to Tiger Woods on Sunday?

Gary Ceran has seen his share of ups and downs. He's lost three children to cancer. He's lost twins to premature birth. He's lost businesses to the economy. And that was before his wife Cheryl and children Ian and Julianna were killed when a drunken driver plowed into the family car on Christmas Eve in 2006.

Only Gary and son Caleb and daughter Clarissa survived — all that remains of the family that could have been, should have been, 11.

I ran into Gary Ceran this past week. Almost literally. I was walking around a downtown corner, and there he was in the middle of the sidewalk, offering me a free Italian ice sample.

Continue Reading

4 comments:

  1. Paul, thank yo for sharing this article. Just when one thinks they have it bad there is always a story of another who has suffered even more. Yet, I know that is not the point of the story. What is truely amazing is how he keeps going and doesn't seem to let the tragedies define him. We can all learn a lesson from him. On a note to you and your family. I think of you often and pray they will find a heart soon for you. Roman's mom TOF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I appreciated this last part: "...life is like a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you up, that's up to you." I hope you're all polished up by the time your new heart arrives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paul,

    We are hoping that your keeping sane up there in the hospital. You never cease to find some amazing articles on perspective. We will be sure to stop by at Grant's post op appointment on September 2nd.

    Alli and Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard that story before. I hope I will be able to be as forgiving as Gary one day.

    ReplyDelete