Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Remembering a Girl named Stephanie

There is not a week that goes by that I don’t remember a little girl named Stephanie who had a profound effect on my attitude and outlook on life.

I was a teenager and received the challenging Fontan procedure, which would greatly improve my heart’s function. Surgeons re-opened my chest a few days later to reduce swelling, bleeding, and implant a pacemaker. I was in good spirits until they said they had to go back in and replace the faulty pacemaker and move it to my abdomen. By then I was depressed and frustrated with my situation. I remember saying to my dad with tears in my eyes, as I was wheeled on an operating table into that final surgery, “I want to go home.” But, what I meant was home to God. “I can’t take this anymore.”

I had been in the pediatric intensive care unit a few days sleeping mostly as my body recovered. There was one particular day when I awoke and saw standing next to the side of my bed a young girl I thought to be 5 or 6 years old. She had dark hair, big beautiful eyes, and was obviously mesmerized at my situation. I must have had a hundred tubes running in and out of me and I still had a large one down my throat, which was uncomfortable. But, here was this young girl who was very pale. I noticed a tube placed into her trachea on her neck. She could not speak and sadly she appeared to be dying. And yet, this little girl had a smile that stretched from one ear to the other as if to say, “Cheer up… It’ll be ok!”

Over the next few days we became friends. Stephanie would stop by to visit me in the PICU and eventually in my room on 4 West. She drew me a picture of her in green scrubs standing tall in a bed of colorful flowers by a tree with the sun shining down. I would show her all of my BYU football posters of Shawn Knight and Jason Buck along with an autographed picture of Bruce Hurst who pitched for the Boston Red Sox. He graciously stopped by to see several patients the previous year while I was having heart surgery to remove the walnut size blister full of staff infection or called endocarditis. (His pitching helped the Rex Sox defeat the New York Mets in the 1986 world series.)

Eventually, I recovered and went home. A year later my family ran into Stephanie’s mother Patsy at a grocery store where she told us that her daughter passed away shortly after we left the hospital. She had a form of sistic fibrosis, which slowly took her home to God. Patsy told us Stephanie loved coming down a floor to see patients but it wore her out and eventually she died.

Many years later as I was preparing to leave my home for a two-year service mission for my church this experience would replay over and over in my mind. I spent three weeks in a training center under a very strict schedule. We were up at 6:30 every morning, attended 12 hours of class, and hit the sack at 10:30 pm. This began to wear on my health and I was frustrated and became depressed. I thought about being sent home. I didn’t want to be a burden.

My mind reflected back to my challenges in a hospital where I underwent worse challenges and I thought of Stephanie. And for the first time I realized the depth of her sacrifice in visiting me. She died giving of herself to others. She probably could have lasted a little longer. But, rather, she got out and went to the aid of another. Whether that was her intention or not she did it anyways. Her visits and radiating smile transfixed me in the hospital and I was no longer depressed.

And in that missionary training center, after being depressed and throwing a pity party for myself I chose to “cheer up” and told myself Stephanie’s words, “It’ll be ok.” My mission became another one of the most important experiences of my life wherein I learned many of life’s valuable lessons.

There is not a week that goes by that I don’t think about Stephanie.

(Pictures: Top Right - Me and Stephanie; Right Middle - My companion Elder Clark and me; Bottom Right - With one of my favorite families)

15 comments:

  1. I am glad that Stephanie lived long enough to have been able to make the impression that she did on you. I sometimes (okay, almost always) wonder why God doesn't leave a few more of these influences in the world, while so many base people are left in good health and decades and decades full of life. Wouldn't it be so much more useful to have more people to share such goodness in our world? There are a few quotes I like, though, when I get to wondering. Like, "And in the end, it's not the *years* in your life that count. It's the *life* in your years" by Abraham Lincoln. And more recently, with the short life my little Bridget had, I found this quote: “The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough" by Rabindranath Tagore (Bridget died three days shy of being able to have lived "months" instead of weeks and also we had so many butterfly things for her, so this quote seemed even more fitting). Your experience with Stephanie seems to fit with those quotes, too. The wondering in my mind wanders so much and I do like to hear/think/be reminded "it'll be okay". I also have to attach to that, that the "okay" isn't "my way". Sure, they sound a lot alike, but yeah. I know I've said this before, but I like to read your blog for a perspective on being more submissive instead of feeling subjected to everything life throws our way. Of course, we need each other. You had Stephanie. There will be others of us who will remember Paul for teaching us something too. (Not that we're saying you're going anywhere yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story Paul. Thank you for sharing it. I am positive Angel Stephanie is shining her smile on you everyday as you wait patiently.
    (that is my daughters name so the story seems even sweeter.
    It WILL be okay, God will see to that.
    {{Big hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that story, Paul. It's just what I needed today! It will help me remember that I need to get out there, no matter what, and go to work....even if it kills me. I also have to remember that it's not me who I work for, it's my family. I have to do it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Profound story....thankyou for sharing such important parts of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story...

    Just like she did when she was alive, I am sure she still visits you all the time....

    Seeing you brought her great joy and comfort in her final days on earth...

    You and her will always be forever friends.....

    I hope you're feeling well.....My family and I continue to pray to Heavenly Father for you all of the time....

    >>Hugs<<<

    Alyson

    Side note:... Within 24 hours 2 people whose blogs I follow have posted a new blog about a girl named Stephanie.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that Paul. We too have been profoundly affected by the children and their parents we've met in the hospital. It's so easy to wallow in the muck of your situation but if you look around, it's not hard to find someone else that will inspire you with theirs. God bless you!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. It is so fun/interesting to look back and see the Lords hand in all things. Praying for you and your family....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because of Stephanie's example, you have never stopped serving...President Hinckley said "When you save one girl/boy, you save generations"
    Its amazing the powerful effect that a soul can have on another...Those experiences are eternal & priceless.
    Your in our constant prayers....
    Hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, I started following your blog a few weeks ago after finding it on KSL in a link. I work in medicine...have been doing this for 23 years. I see each day the miracle that God brings to those in need. My heart tells me that you will receive great blessings and joy in your life. My hope is that those blessing come in the form of a healthy transplant. Your an inspiration to all those who struggle each day with long term illness. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing you story of Stephanie with us. I know that you are provinding the same comfort to me as she did to you. You are an inspiration to me and I only hope and pray that my son Colin (HLHS) will have the same spirit and attitude that you do. Thank you for sharing your life with us.
    God bless,
    Millie and Colin-HLHS

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great story. I still think of people that impacted me those long days in the PICU, some I still talk to, some I don't, some lost their battle, and some are still here. You meet so many friends when your there for weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, I never introduced myself. My name is Lacey and my baby Jaxson has CHD. We are a part of Healing hearts, new members. Your music is beautiful and so if your family. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmm...so touching. and I love the photos too. what an interesting story. so profound. Thank you for sharing.
    I want to remind you that tonight is the new moon-a wonderful time to start anew and to put out to the universe your intentions. something about your post reminded me of this ancient ritual and the phrase, "my intention is".
    Best wishes and praying always for your new heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your beautiful story. I wonder if Stephanie's parents know the impact her short life still has on others? It makes me hopeful that people will remember my Annika and the things they learned from her as well. . .

    Still praying for your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. thanks for the reminder. I am sure Angel Stephanie enjoyed the concert from her front row seat. I bet she was proud of her friend and the impact he has made on others. So much of an impact that hundreds of people came to celebrate his life and offer support.

    ReplyDelete