Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Heart Cath

Prior to yesterday’s heart cath my wife Lynnette and I were fortunate to visit with a cute little boy named Grant and his parent’s Kyle and Allie. Grant was born with HLHS and needed some repair work on his liver, which was shaped like a horseshoe around his other organs. But, gratefully, after many prayers and good medical care, Grant is on the mend and doing better. Doctors need to keep him in the pediatric intensive care unit (P.I.C.U.) for another couple of weeks before Kyle and Allie can take him home. In the meantime, his parents have an RV they can stay in parked at the hospital. Kyle has been attending school in Logan, Utah.

While in the P.I.C.U. we saw many familiar faces and had a brief conversation with one of my surgeons. We also learned that little Jack Trent is recovering very well from his Fontan and they hope to take him home soon.

As for my cath, we checked in at noon and waited with other same-day surgery children. I always enjoy sitting in there as the only adult going into a procedure. Toys are everywhere. There was one woman telling her grandson how to play his video game. So I pulled out my Iphone and played a golf game.

We were called into a room after 30 minutes. They checked my vital stats and had me take off my clothes and put on a gown. Doctor Gray came in and we discussed the procedure, which would be my third cath since being listed for a heart last August.

My anestiologist came into the room and we discussed how they wouldn’t put me completely under like the children but they would give me an anti-anxiety drug and another causing amnesia. (In my childhood I remember being awake for most of these caths although they now put the kids completely out).

After saying goodbye to my gorgeous wife I walked into the cath lab which looks like an operation room. There were several nurses and techs prepping the room. We joked about the temperpedic mattress on the narrow operating table. We laughed about many other things as I laid flat on the table.

They hooked me up to machines and began a slow drip of the drug in my picc line. Once the drip was going they put an IV in my left hand so I could have my 24/7 medication Mileranone running into my picc. I continued joking about my vulnerable situation. The radio was playing “round and round” by a metal band called RATT. I hadn’t heard that song in a long time. I mentioned, “you’re putting me out to this 80s song?” Slowly, I faded or drifted off and the procedure went forward.

I remember talking through the procedure although I was very sleepy. I felt the wire going into my body through an artery in my left groin area. It was somewhat uncomfortable, but not painful. It’s like being at the dentist after they’ve numbed you and you feel the pressures of the drill in your mouth but no pain. Doctor Gray checked my heart's pressures, the stent he had put in six months ago, and clot off a large collateral artery.

I awoke in the recovery room surrounded by other children in their beds, plenty of nurses, and a lot of movement. I have to be honest I felt extremely uncomfortable and had a lot of anxiety. I’m not sure if I had a bad reaction to a drug or if some evil power overcame me. I was discouraged and mentally drained. I felt like the character Andy in The Shawshank Redemption trying to escape through the narrow tunnel he had spent years try to dig to his freedom.

After an hour Lynnette put my socks on my feet. I put on my shirt and eventually the anxieties went away. I became calm and asked for some food. I asked my nurse for the popular root beer slushy many have grown to love. I downed a few of those and by 10:30 pm we were able to pack up and head home after getting a dose of antibiotics through my IV, which they would remove. I still have a large bandage over my left groin that I’ll take off in a few hours.

In the midst of suffering I try to remind myself that it does end. It might seem like a million years away. But, the pain ends. Some suffering last our whole life – but it ends. I am comforted by my faith and knowing there is a loving God who does not find joy in our suffering but finds joy in what it makes us become.

(Pictures: Top - Grant and his parents Kyle & Allie, Middle - Me and Lynnette, Bottom - With my Mom whose spent years in a children's hospital with me)

19 comments:

  1. Paul-I appreciated your comments about the suffering ending. "This too shall pass" is a favorite phrase of ours. That coupled with "I can do hard things..." You're amazing. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro. Cardall!
    I hope the results of your cath are good. I just had my cath today and they put me completely under anesthesia. I admire you for being able to do the whole thing under just sedation! Our prayers were heard: everything is looking wonderful! I haven't had a decent cath in five years, so today's test was truly a miracle. I hope everything continues to go well with you. My family and I continue to pray for you! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me cry, Paul. I have a lot of anxiety about anything in the hospital now, so I understand a bit of what you were referring to and am in complete awe of the grace with which you handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mom and wife deserve medals for their devotion and patience and strength! You too are amazing and such an example to the rest of us...we too can do hard things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul! My name is Sarah and I'm mom to Damon of BlessDamonsHeart, which you so graciously linked on your site. Thank you so much! I don't know how you found us, or how long you have been following Damon's journey, but I was beginning to wonder if anyone out there was even reading anymore. We got a comment from another family that said they found our site through yours so I thought I'd better check you out. I'll be checking up on you a lot now that I know you're out there. I'm glad to hear that your cath went ok. We'll be praying for your new heart to come quickly and for God to continue to sustain you until then. His timing is perfect. Blessings to you and your family.

    All His love,
    Sarah Cochran

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad things went OK yesterday! And how nice of you to visit Kyle Allie, and baby Grant...I briefly ran into them at your benefit concert, amazing how people (heart families)can connect through the world of blogs!!!

    My son (HLHS) always likes to get the cafeteria scrambled eggs after his procedures. Yup,....EGGS! No rootbeer slushies for him. Funny kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your perspective on your proceedures. It's very insightful. My little heart warrior is still small, but as a mom, I think it helps me better understand what my child is experiencing, so thank you.

    We loved coming to your concert and pray for you daily.

    Aimee, IHH

    P.S. - I like the rootbeer slushies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your family are so amazing for sharing your story!!! I am so glad that things went well today, despite the anxiety from the meds......

    Like always, you are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

    p.s. It's nice to meet Mommy Cardall :0)....you are always surrounded by such amazing people :0)

    Alyson

    p.p.s. Can you tell that I LOVE the word "AMAZING"....he he he

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear it went well. While you're nothing to sneeze at, and Lynette has my heart as well, it's your mom that is MY hero. Please pass on my applause.

    Mindi (McKay's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO glad that is over! Your mom needs a hug too,(you know how parents hate to see a child suffer) I see a strong family resemblance ;)
    You are such an inspiration to all the little heart children and their parents and me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Riggs Family Loves You! I just sent my three children out the door to school after saying family prayers, where they once again prayed that God would find you a strong heart. They have not left that plea out of a single prayer since the night we brought them to your concert. Our family is learning so much from you. Thank you for your strength and your determination. We admire and grow from your continued faith and hope. Our prayers continue for you and your family. Thank You Paul!

    The Riggs Family (Brannick, Juli, Tyler, Parker and Saskya.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my heart aches for the anxieties you have to face with each procedure. I am glad that the discouragement was replaced with peace. We tried to find you guys that afternoon while we went on a slushie run of our own (my favorite is the crystal light raspberry flavor... request it next time!). You must have been well hidden. I think that all three of you (you mother and Lynette included) deserve medals for the many hours you spend here at the hospital. I look forward to hearing the results of the cath!

    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul, this is Tom using Michele's account, one of these days I may actually get my own. I normally don't comment, but wanted to let you know how often I've thought of our conversation after the movie we went to, and you shared your focus on the Savior and atonement when it gets physically, mentally, emotionally impossible to cope with- I hope this is OK to put in a comment vs. email like I normally do...I just wanted other readers to hear your insight. Just delete if it's not. For me, having that focus has created a paradigm shift for myself and truly has made a huge difference when dealing with adversity. That long crap filled tunnel you use analogously is very apropos...I admire you and your entire family, what challenges you get to grow with daily, it's no wonder you're all so strong. Looking forward to a future post that has pictures of your family- after a successful transplant and with you running with Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul-You have an overwhelming strength that any reader can feel through your testimony and desire to enure to the end.
    Its apparent that every road you take...and every path waiting for your lead will be miraculous and life changing for everyone. Your courage & faith has already changed many...
    Thank you!
    Hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not posted a comment in a long time, but I have followed your blog since I found it! I know it must not be easy or comfortable to deal with all of this, but thank you for helping us see this defect through an adult's eyes. Casey (4) has the same defect, and it's so interesting to see how similar yet different your cath experiences are. Milrinone is a drug I remember well, but my favorite is VERSED!! I feel like my whole family needs it when Casey goes under.

    Once again, your life, however complicated, offers so much hope for ours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you throw your slushee at the nurse after you cath like Jack did?

    It's totally understandable.

    Good Job Paul! We are routing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your comments about suffering are so true, and so comforting. Since we lost Annika, I can honestly say I am ok, and I am happy. But I always miss her so much. There is that pain that will never go away until I am with her again. Sometimes it seems that it will always be there--that the fact that I have gone through (and continue to go through) this has created a permanent hole in my own heart. But you are right--it WILL end. Someday, it will all be made right. I can't even begin to comprehend how much joy I will feel at that day, but I know it will far outweigh the suffering. Thank you, thank you for reminding me of that--that I will not always miss her. Thank you for your example. I'm still praying for your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your are such an amazing person! I appreciate your posts and it is neat to hear your experience with the cath procedure! My little guy can't yet describe his experience. Isn't Dr Gray the best! You are in our families prayers! Thank You for sharing your strength! Those RB slushies are tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoy your posts, you have an amazing outlook on life, and I really appreciate it!

    sidenote...little Jack Trent is my cousins son...thanks for checking on him!

    ReplyDelete