Wednesday, February 17, 2010

An Priceless Evening!

Photos courtesy of Dustin Bess Photography

In this world there are those who act and those who are acted upon. To act is to do something productive with your life. These kinds of people have goals and vision. They lead, guide, and inspire others to act for themselves. People acted upon usually follow the ways of the world and probably feel empty inside. During last evening’s priceless concert event those who act surrounded me.

Photo: An empty Abravanel Hall during set up hours

This was my first public concert since my heart transplant five months ago, and I believe for almost two years.

It was an overwhelming and emotional experience for me. To be backstage and walk out onto a beautifully lit stage with my full ensemble while 2700 people stood to applaud was overwhelming.

The sold out crowd, which consisted of those in my community and folks who flew in from all over the nation, were not applauding me... They were applauding God and what he has done through a team of gifted medical professionals by preserving my life.

Photo: My wife Lynnette helping out daughter Eden get ready for the show

What affected me so deeply was knowing how many selfless people came together to successfully put on an event of this magnitude in less than 5 months.

From my close friend and show producer Jeremy Baron to my sister Carol Burgoyne who was our auction chairperson, these people helped me achieve a goal of bringing awareness to congenital heart disease and begin raising money to provide for my foundation, which is fueling an annual scholarship for those affected by the chronic illness.

A few days after my transplant with a dozen tubes running in and out of my body Jeremy visited me in the pediatric intensive care and suggested we do a celebrate life concert. He had a vision and I said, “Run with it.” He booked the finest venue in our Salt Lake valley and began contacting a talented stage crew from Cole Adams, who designed our lighting, Will Davies who ran the video, Joe Anderson who provided our sound, to Robin Saville of brideaccess.com who filmed the show. We also recorded the concert with the help of Rob Duffin and Giles Reaves from Annex Studios.

While Jeremy was prepping the production, my sister Carol Burgoyne headed the auction and gathered together a wonderful committee. Each member worked very hard to gather items for the auction and as word spread various businesses donated items to help us raise the money for our foundation.

My “Living for Eden” album producer Ryan Tilby began gathering a band together while Steve Nelson arranged strings for the show. All eleven musicians were a joy to work with and we joked that fitting them into my home to rehearse, with all of the gear involved, was truly like fitting a bunch of clowns into a car.

Photo: The Lobby

So much was orchestrated behind the scenes. When the day finally arrived I was nervous and overwhelmed by all that was involved.

The morning of the show I was dumbfounded to find Mike Willmore and his two boys Andrew & Joey, who spent the past Summer mowing my lawn, working once more together to help load in and set up all of the gear. In addition, my brother David and Craig were up early helping. They’ve always worked very hard and are extremely successful in their own lives.

Needless to say, the performance was exciting. I had a lot of fun. I hope everyone had a wonderful time and preserved a memory in their heart.

After I played my last tune, "Gracie’s Theme” my emotions ran sky high when my daughter Eden ran out to me followed by my beautiful wife. It was a priceless moment words can’t describe.

During the show another miracle occurred. It was a quiet miracle and a gift from our loving God. While performing my tune Sweet Escape I finally experienced some closure with the death of my brother Brian. Behind me on the screen was real footage of Brian’s visit to Peru with Anna on their honeymoon. The video ends with his infectious smile while he shuts off his camcorder. Later, after the show had ended and people flooded the backstage, I saw his beautiful widow Anna smiling and in that moment my overwhelming grief left me.

As the crowd emptied the hall, I was fortunate to interact with several wonderful people from all over the country backstage.

Photo: A Sold Out crowd

A touching moment for me came when I met several families who've been deeply affected this past year by congenital heart disease. From the families who've lost children to an individual who has survived CHD and has a child with a tumor. I was speechless for most of the interaction because I don't know how to help or what to say to alleviate their challenges. Needless, to say I was deeply affected by meeting such incredible souls. And because of the contributions of so many we will be able to send a modest financial donation to a several families.

(And a reminder the scholarship fund for those affected by CHD has an extended deadline to May 3rd - We'll announce the recipient on this blog).

I can’t express my gratitude for a priceless evening. I remember many years ago playing in the Roof Restaurant at the top of the Joseph Smith Building in downtown Salt Lake City. From my piano I could see Abravanel Hall and quietly dream that someday I would perform there. Last night, was someday!

To see the beautiful photography work of Dustin Bess, including more images from the concert visit his website: http://www.dustinbess.com



25 comments:

  1. Our toddler, Nathan, has a CHD. We attended your concert on Monday evening and were blown away by the talent that was present. It was an amazing evening! Thank you for putting together such a great show in awareness and support of CHD's.

    As a side note - I think you need to print the music to Gracie's theme as sheet music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I haven't been able to post on my blog yet. It was amazing..... It's hard to put in words. How do I even begin to describe something like this? I am still just trying to process the night. Actually, it was so far beyond amazing...

    Also, I'm so bummed I didn't get a picture of your wife and I together... darn. What a beautiful wife and mother! Your little Eden was so adorable with her Valentine stuffed animal backstage! Awww....

    We love your beautiful family. I will cherish that night FOREVER. I felt so much while I listened to you play & watched your slides. I don't often listen to music without words. It's amazing how much your music allowed me to hear and feel. We purchased four of your albums--

    I can't think of a better way to spend such a special night. I felt so connected-- with so many.

    Just Amazing...

    Thank you Paul and Lynnette--- <3
    Bowman Family----- Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your story for some time and I have to tell you how inspiring you are. Your testimony has lifted me many times and I am grateful for your faith and optimism. I was fortunate enough to attend your concert on Monday and I don't have the words to tell you how much I enjoyed the evening. Thank you for sharing your story and your amazing talent. I will not forget the peace and joy I felt that night. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful for you in the world of CHD. We have a little girl named Ellie with CHD and you have been such an inspiration to these little ones. You have given them a voice, and I hope she can grow up and have a family and beautiful life too. We lost a baby before Ellie was born and I too was so touched by your tribute to your brother. We don't always know why, but we can survive. Thanks again for such a wonderful night. My family enjoyed the blessed evening as well.

    Becca-Mom to Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,
    I am yet another follower of your story and attended the absolutely wonderful concert you held on Monday night. It was such an overwhelming feeling to see you walk out and have the entire hall give you a standing ovation! I have never cried so many tears of happiness like I did at that moment. You deserved every ounce of that. It was a very beautiful evening and made me truly appreciate life. You and your family are beautiful people inside and out. Congratulations and thanks for the many touching moments you shared. May your health continue to improve and may you climb Mt. Olympus with much strength! Thank you for putting all of your heart and soul into your talent for the world to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED every moment of it! It was beyond incredible, Paul. I laughed & cried & cried some more. When you reached the big moment in the "Gracie's Theme" song, it was like the whole hall was on fire!

    The best part was seeing all those pics of you and realizing how close to death you were in the hospital before your transplant, and then the pics end and you walk out, looking healthy and pink and happy. I think I was only one of many in the audience who was crying as we jumped to our feet and wanted to bring the house down with our clapping. What an incredible start to your part of the show. Holy Cow!

    Thank you for being a vehicle for the message of God's infinite love and hope.

    It was awesome beyond words. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your incredible night with those if us who couldn't be there.

    I am sure it was an amazing feeling being on that stage and reflecting on the journey up to this point.

    Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
    www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul,
    My husband and I attended your concert and like everyone else has said, it was AMAZING! You are so talented and truly and inspiration to me and others. Our little baby was born with CHD and had open-heart surgery at 7 months old and we just found out a few weeks ago that he has some more problems and is going to have to have another surgery on March 1st. Going to your concert really helped me see that you can still live an amazing and fulfilling life with CHD and I know that our little guy will have a great story to tell someday, just like yours...thanks for being such a great example for all of us!
    Ashlie Bundy
    www.thehopefulhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and myself were able to attend your beautiful concert and celebrate life with you on Monday. The performances were something that I will never forget. I was overwhelmed with emotion and filled with HOPE and PRIDE! We are parents to three beautiful girls, our oldest who is now five has CHD and has had four open heart surgeries and many catherizations. Looking at the pictures in the lobby during the auction brought back so many feelings of the times and trials we have had in and out of the hospital with our daughter Samantha. I was fortunate enough to find your music (before I knew of your heart battle) and your music has been the background music in our lives and tied to so many events. I first heard Gracie's theme on her mother's blog and immediatly was filled with tears and empathy for this family of which we shared sometime with in the hospital during our daughter's last surgery. When I heard it again at the concert I was moved and touched like no other piece of music has ever moved me before. A wonderful tribute! Thank you for fighting to share your talent with the world. You fill us in the CHD world with HOPE and JOY! May God continue to bless you and your sweet family. Thank you again for a wonderful celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it was an absolutely stunning performance! what an awesome experience for my little boy to witness. he has attended your living for eden benefit concert as well as the celebrate life concert...I can't think of any better way to show him the hope, love, and power our Heavenly Father can bestow upon him throughout the various challenges invloved while living his life with a CHD. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tribute to Brian was perfect.
    The whole night was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The show was incredible.! You put together an amazing production. We are definitely glad we made the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this. Though I was not able to attend, I have been following your story and am touched by the emotions you are willing to share with us. Your story is very inspirational and gives me hope in my own challenges.

    It sounds like your concert was a wonderful, peace-filled evening, and that the grace of Christ touched your life as you shared what you could with others who are suffering.

    Isn't the gospel wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul,
    Was not able to attend on Monday but I am overwhelmed to hear how the night went. I would love to know if the video will be available to purchase at anytime. I would definitely be interested in buying it. We have prayed for you and your family and are so glad to see all prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We heard from our family members who were able to attend that the evening was inspirational and full of gratitude. What other musicians do you know of who can perform to a sell out crowd and have such a feeling of peace and gratitude imparted to everyone in attendance??! I wish we could have been there. Do you have any plans or ideas to bring a concert to Eastern Idaho?? BYU-I and ISU have some great facilities as does Idaho Falls!

    Alli and Kyle Hicken

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing evening. I felt so blessed to be in attendance. I have been following your blog for a very long time and it was a very emotional experience for me to sit and hear your beautiful music! Several times during the concert I was unable to control my tears as I was so touched by this concert! Thank you for sharing your talent.
    P.S. You were wrong about people being there from as far away as Hawaii, because I talked with a man sitting near me that had come from Germany to the concert!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Again I have to say thanks for sharing your story with everyone. Your concert was inspiring, uplifting and amazing. I felt like I knew you when you came out on stage (even though we have never met). It's amazing what can be done medically-just amazing. I loved seeing your daughter and wife come out at the end-what a perfect ending to a perfect show. THANK YOU again-for your love, talents and testimony-you have inspired thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A true celebration! Well done! But couldn't wait to get home to give my little heart guy a hug and kiss :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks to God for everything! Talents, trials, beauty, heartache and a way to follow His Son Jesus Christ back to Him. Where all is well and beautiful. All is healed and understood. We are blessed by Him, through you and so many others. We bless others lives and have no idea. I am glad that through an evening of pure beauty that you found healing for one of your sorrows. I find healing for my sorrows, everyday all around me; through talents that others choose to share. True love, true compassion and service. We give as He gave. Thanks for a beautiful evening of giving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a night full of magic.
    It was so great to see you in person and to know your story...
    My daughter and I sat up front next to Gracie's family..what an honor for them when you played her theme...just a wonderful family.
    Highlight of the night was when your darling daughter and wife came out on stage..so see and feel the love you have with each other was the best...you are a gift to our world.
    Take care and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My cousin and her husband attended your concert. She said it was a great experience. Thanks for sharing pictures for those of us who couldn't attend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie and Tyler HendricksonFebruary 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM

    You have touched so many people, Paul. I'm so grateful to be married into your family! Tyler and I were very emotional during your "Sweet Escape" piece; it was so good to see Brian's face on that big screen. I love your music so much. It has brought so much peace in my life and holds great memories! Love you and Lynette so much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paul, We were unable to make the concert and I am just devastated. Please promise you will do another one. I am so glad that it was such a success. I am so grateful you have felt some closure from your brothers passing. It is surprisingly wonderful when the Lords tender mercies sneak up on us. I am so sorry we missed the concert but so glad it was a success.
    Much love, Hilary Cook-Daxton's mommy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Paul,

    I'm a new reader to your blog...I googled "heart transplant blog" and was fortunate enough to stumble upon yours. What an inspirational writer and composer you are. You have genuine talent, and obviously, God realizes this so he kept you in this world for a while longer :)

    My brother, Dan, who had DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) passed away while waiting 7 months on the transplant list. He wasn't as fortunate and couldn't hang on...but I'll always remember his fighting spirit and how much he wanted to live. Reading about your journey from a patient to recovery was truly heart-wrenching, as it brought back many memories of my brother's hospitalizations. But I'm so happy that you and your family now have time on your side. I hope you never stop making your beautiful music, or keep on hoping...

    Take care,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete