Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Good News!

We got a call this morning from Latoya informing us that I am now listed for a new heart. Man, it is kind of wild. . . sobering. . . and surreal. . .

On Friday I get a pager and if the batteries work they'll contact me at anytime. It might be 2 weeks up to 1 year. The heart needs to come come from at least 50 miles from Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah. When they have a potential great match for my body the pager goes off and I head to the hospital with my 72 hour kit (or things I want to have for recovery). I have one hour to get there. In the meantime a thoracic surgeon travels to where the new heart is and carefully removes it from the donor. He or she will have a good idea from there if it will be a perfect match and if so they prep me for surgery. The thoracic surgeon brings the new heart to the hospital where Dr. John Doty will carefully remove my bad heart. Incidentally, he is the son of Donald Doty who did my 2 previous open heart surgeries where I almost died. So, I know I am in good hands. (The father has worked on the engine and can tell his son what is in there.)

This is a very difficult surgery because of my heart's anatomy. And there will be a lot of scar tissue from the surgeries I had early in my life. Finding the good tissue among the bad will be tough. He has to cut in the right places.

We have every confidence in the transplant team and in Dr. John Doty. He is a man of faith and said to me personally, "We will not lose you!"

Please pray for my wife Lynnette and daughter Eden. Pray for Dr. John Doty and his team who will determine the best heart for me. And most of all pray for the family whose sacrifice and tragedy will bless our family. I may never meet them or know of their loss.

What gives me comfort and peace? The love I feel from my wife, family, and friends. Thanks to all of you we literally feel the arms of God around us.

I also find great comfort in my faith. I know that God lives. Jesus is the Christ. He is my friend. Life is part of a three act play. We are now experiencing the challenges of the 2nd act. In time, all of us will begin act three as we wait for the resurrection made possible by Jesus Christ overcoming death himself. All of us receive that gift.

Some of us may need a physical transplant but we must also, all of us, experience a spiritual transplant. I strive for that every day of my life because I know I am far from perfect in kindness and friendship. But, through faith, repentance, and baptism we may begin the process of having spiritual heart transplant made possible by the suffering of our Savior in Gethsemane and on the Cross.

We all have are own challenges. . . I'm content. I could always be living in the country Georgia with Russians dropping bombs on my home or in Dar-fur with all my family and friends brutally murdered by genocide. . . . etc. etc. or even worse I could be considered a friend of Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton, or Brittany Spears.

6 comments:

  1. We love you Paul and our prayers are with you and your family. - kat and brad alldredge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done some benefit stuff with Intermountain Donor Services who does all the education in Utah schools about organ donation and helps coordinate transplants. They are amazing people and are very good at what they do.

    Mel and I have you and your family in our prayers. Hang in there! Cory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul & Lynnette and darling Eden,
    I have been so blessed to be back in Lynnette's life after first meeting the both of you in leadership council at SLCC, and then in contact again at the NICU- of all places.

    I cannot believe how much Lynnette and I have in common! I love this girl, she is such an inspiration to me and I am SO glad I have her friendship. I just know that she loves you and Eden so much.

    My thoughts and prayers for comfort for your family at this time and for guidance for the Dr.'s and for strength for you and Lynnette as well as understanding for Eden.

    Lynnette- thanks for your friendship you know I wear my heart on my sleeve and what love I have for you, let me know what I can do to help. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, the only reason I talk to you is becasue I thought you knew Paris Hilton and would some day introduce me!

    Caron just forwarded to us the link for your blog. We'll be praying for you and your family.

    Scott and Laura Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul & Lynnette,

    Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, and the Pyles' family will be fasting for you this Sunday. I don't know that I have EVER met a couple more impressive than the two of you :) You both stole my heart immediately. You've blessed so many with your music, faith and love. Your "Songs of Praise" is on constantly in my car CD...you go everywhere with me:) Know dear friends you are loved so much! But, not nearly as much as Heavenly Father loves you. Our love and prayers are with you always.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Facebook. I had to comment your posts really touched me. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    I remember back in the day hearing your story and being so moved by it and I've wondered what had become of your health. It sounds like good news.

    ReplyDelete