Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MY BRIEF MEDICAL HISTORY | Potts Shunt, Endocarditis, The Fontan

BRIEF HISTORY

I was born in 1973 with tricuspid atresia and transposition of the greater arteries. I was not getting any oxygen in my blood for the body. I was a blue baby. Within hours of being born my body was rushed to the children’s hospital where Dr. Conrad Jensen (former partner of Russell M. Nelson, M.D.) flew home from a medical conference to perform a Potts shunt when I was 22 hours old. Before going into surgery my parents overhead one of the doctors say, "We're going to lose that kid." The Potts shunt allowed me to enjoy a fun childhood. I played baseball and ran around the neighborhood. But, I would stop to rest. I loved scouts and the outdoors. I was fortunate to get my Eagle before I turned 13.

One week after my eagle award ceremony and in August 1986, before 8th grade began, I developed endocarditis, which doctors could not find for almost a month. I was losing weight and in serious heart failure. After three MRI scans they found the walnut size blister full of staff infection in the section of my heart that Dr. Conrad fixed my heart with the Potts Shunt. (I should include here that the MRI came to Utah 6 months before I got ill. This technology helped save my life). Donald Doty, M.D. opened me up and removed the infection. He performed a new technique, which allowed my life to continue. But, he said within a year I would need a reconstructive heart surgery called the Fontan.

School had begun and I was home-schooled for a month before I could attend. I remember my first day back. Because I still had a poor heart I was pale, blue, and weak. I remembering walking up the stairs to my health class for the first time. I sat in the back. My teacher said, "You ok?" And in front of the class I broke down crying. She took me to the teacher's lounge and gave me some food. She went back up an told the kids about my heart and the word spread through the school. Kids were kind to me. The girls called me "Purple Plum." I didn't mind. And the end of the year the kids elected me student body historian. Summer was coming and that meant the Fontan surgery.

In August of 1987 I went in for the Fontan. It was a difficult procedure. Not only did they have to re-create a right atrium but they had to figure out how to deal with my reversed arteries. It was a difficult surgery. Doctors implanted a pacemaker, which would fail within days, so they moved it to my abdomen because the leads are screwed into the outer walls of the heart muscle since my anatomy won’t allow them to flow in through the arteries. After my recovery I went back to school and life went back to normal. I was no longer "Purple Plum" because there was great coloring in my face and nails. Two months after the surgery I rode my bike from Salt Lake to Draper. It takes 30 minutes to drive there.

Since that time I’ve had 5-6 pacemakers replaced. I came home a month early from serving a 2 year church mission because the battery was very low.

I married my amazing wife who loves the medical field and is a nurse. What a blessing!

Doctors replaced defective leads almost 5 years ago by going into the heart through some ribs below my left breast.

I’ve been in the hospital for endocarditis once more, which I beat after three weeks thanks to great new antibiotics.

I’ve been in for pneumonia and the flu among other minor issues.

But, for the most part I have had an extremely healthy “feel good” type of a life.

3 comments:

  1. I just read your blog...my mom had her first heart attack while I was on my mission in Chile and her second one at the wheel a few years ago when her pacemake failed. She is still alive today and doing well thanks to another pacemaker. Christ is the master physician. Miracles happen and we are praying for you. Keep your wonderful attitude, you still have a lot of people to touch in this life time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just read your story... Wow!!! I have no words to express what I'm feeling now... Our Father in Heaven knows what's the purpose of this situation in your life, but It's wonderful see that you have a nice family and the good thing is... You'll be together for all the eternity. I'll pray for you and your family. Thanks for share this part of your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    My name is katie Elton. I work for Primary Children's Medical Center in the Foundation department. I spoke with you on the phone this morning about the Telethon and about KSL doing a follow-up story with you. I just wanted to tell you again how inspired I have been by reading your blog and learning about your amazing journey. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great faith and testimony with your brothers and sisters! I can feel your strong spirit through your words and they have given me courage to face my own trials and reminded me just how much Heavenly Father loves his children. I too am one of the many that are praying for you and your sweet family. I know the power of miracles! I so look forward to the honor of meeting you at the Telethon. We will be in touch. Take care!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete