Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Heart Defect

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to write to let everyone know that I am feeling well and thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Our family is really blessed! And we feel it from you. We will find out on Tuesday what the doctor’s plan is for me and my future after they study through the test results of my Heart Catheterization. I've had them several times and usually it's like going to the dentist for a root canal. No big deal. But this one was a little wild.

They put me completely under for the procedure paralyzing my muscles temporarily so I would not move. Then they thread a small tube up through an artery on my left leg. The shot some type of dye and were able to map out my heart and view things they can never see externally. They learned that the left side of my heart is functioning really well and was miraculously in sinus rhythm (normal heart rhythm). But, the other side of my heart, where the right atrium has been blowing up over the years like a balloon full of blood that swirls around, is having a hard time finding where it is supposed to go. It’s cutting off blood flow to my lungs and I get less oxygen to my body.

Waking up from the procedure was uncomfortable. My body was put completely under. They give you a little something to help your body start up again and pulled a tube from my throat which was helping my lungs expand so I could breath. But we ran into a problem and for almost 2 hours my lungs struggled to take over the breathing process. I felt like I was drowning or had a bag over my head and just trying to grab on to something to try and get a good long breath of air. It was not fun. But, I’m glad it’s over and they have great information to evaluate my case.

I've been blessed my whole life to have this heart defect. I am far from perfect and needed this in my life to teach me things I could have never learned without it. I want to live a long time and enjoy my family and the life I've been blessed with. With every struggle I continue to be reminded by a sweet feeling of peace that our Savior, and Messiah Jesus, his atonement, & resurrection, are real truths. God is my friend. And I know everything works out according to His plan of happiness and purpose for living.

So again, I will find out Tuesday what they would like to do. All the prayers and fasting will undoubtedly influence their decision. Thanks for everything . . . Let us also know if any of you are having some challenges that we should pray for.

All the best,

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Paul- I have had to read this blog in small sections at a time because I couldn't see through the tears. I cry because of the similarities of our lives, not to mention our anatomy and Dr's, I feel a connection to you because you are one of the only people who knows exactly what I have gone through and what it feels like to be known as the "heart" child, sibling, friend or acquaintance. You know what CHD, amiodarone and fontans are. Reading your blog made me remember how grateful I am for every day that I have. Thank you so much for this blog I've thought alot about how you are doing. I will have you, Lynnette and Eden in my prayers always. Holly

    PS. My mom and I have wondered where your plaque went since the room isn't there anymore.

    ReplyDelete