Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Donor



As the United Network of Organ Sharing and its various chapters and volunteers spread awareness this month throughout America, I felt impressed to express my own appreciation for my organ donor. I think about this person every day, if not every hour.

Ever since I learned I needed a heart from another human being I felt placed in an odd predicament. Couldn't God tell me who it is before it happened so I might some how intervene and possibly prevent their death? Yet, how could I deny my wife a husband and my little girl a father. Coming to terms with this unique situation was a long and difficult journey I can't explain in words.

I prayed for my donor in the morning and the evenings as I waited for word of a heart from my doctors.

Since my transplant last September, I have grieved my donor's passing like that of my own brother who died while I waited. Some have asked why I didn't receive my brother's heart. He was not my blood type and was unable to donate living organs. We did donate some tissue and bone to help someone walk.

I'm not at liberty to discuss information about who my donor is because of privacy laws and my personal respect to the family who has suffered a great loss.

I believe strongly my donor is an angel of God who chose a path that has blessed the lives of not only my family, my community, but also future generations.

I'm reminded of a verse of scripture in the Bible that reads: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:14) I am forever in his debt and will do all I can to serve others as he has served me.

This month, you can help me spread awareness of organ donation by writing about it on your facebook status, blog, in an e-mail or where-ever you can. Feel free to share my video, the image above, and a link to www.donatelife.net

14 comments:

  1. I've been a organ donor ever since I was 16. I've always believed it to be a wonderful thing. I encourage everyone to be organ donors so that if for some reason any of our lives are cut short, we might still be able to help someone else live there's.

    P.S. Could you please stop posting things that make me cry?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just looked at Mason's site and was so excited to see that he got a heart for Easter! What good news, especially after you just posted about being an organ donor =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful and touching video. My son has HLHS who just celebrated his first birthday! Your blog has been so inspiring and gives us heart moms so much hope!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, Lynette, and Eden.

    I love that video.

    I don't have much to say, but I have so much love for your sweet family and am so impressed by your faith. So thankful that Paul was given to this new life--- an opportunity that not all are given. A sure blessing indeed.

    I wish that Stephen would have had one organ that we could have donated, unfortunately--- he didn't have one :(

    I miss him. I'm so happy for your family!

    Love always,
    Jess
    http://thisandthataboutthebowmans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a touching video. Instant tears in my eyes as I thought of the sacrifices that so many families make to be donors and the wonderful friends we have who are benefiting from that sacrifice. Thanks for continuing to bring awareness to this great cause!

    Alli, Kyle, and Grant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears flowed as I watched the video...a tribute to your brother and your donor. Well done!!! I'm sure you feel you are living a blessed life. Thanks for being a wonderful example for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful video. I often think about whether my daughter, who is now 19 months old and living with HLHS, will need a transplant in her future. I can imagine the amount of gratitude you and your family feel for your donor and his family. Thanks for being an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet sweet video Paul. What an opportunity it is to be an organ donor. Keep up all your great work and continued health. (Tell Nettie hello).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful video, thank you for sharing!

    I have to be honest and tell you I was never a donor, for some reason I had a hard time thinking about what would be done to my body once I was no longer here. Which of course sounds strange coming from a believer and coming from a mom of having three children with CHD one who is now with Jesus.

    I had not been online for sometime and for some reason I decided to check in on the blogs that I follow and yours was the first one I read. Tears flowed as I watched your video and read your words. Ironically (well...not really it's all God's timing :) I had to renew my license the following day. When I got to the box that said, "please check if you would like to be a donor" I....with a happy heart checked the box. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us and thank you for opening my eyes to the importance of donating.
    God bless,
    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brought to tears again. BEautiful music. Beautiful gift. Beautiful life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That video is so neat. Thank you for making it. I'm going to post a link on my blog. Thank you for doing all you do to encourage others in their struggles. I'm so happy for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm Holly McKell's sister Lisa. Your music is in our home often and I thank you for sharing that gift. I have to admit- I avoid reading your blog as it makes me deal with things I'd rather not deal with. Once in awhile i'm drawn back to it and again I find myself with lots of emotions and tears. Even your pictures in the video are just like Holly's pictures. Your journeys have been so similar. You are a true inspiration and example. Thank you for the kind visit to Holly recently. May the Lord continue to bless you and your little family and may the Lord grant Holly the same. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not an organ recipient, but I am a tissue recipient. I have received 2 cornea transplants-one in each eye. It is a very strange feeling to be on the waiting list, one that I find hard to describe. I too am thankful each day for my donors and their families.
    I have enjoyed reading your blog for the past year and am so happy that you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy for you! I can not even imagine the gratitude you must have. I am sure your life being saved has given your donor's family a happy thought amidst hardship!!

    ReplyDelete