Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fly Fishing with Family & Friends

With a new heart and renewed energy I’m picking up nostalgic activities like fly-fishing, which has been in my family for generations. Mom used to drive my brothers and me up the canyon after elementary school or early Saturday mornings so we could drop a line in the water while she read in the car. I don't remember if we caught fish, but I remember being together.

There’s something magical about being away from civilization in the early morning hours shortly before the sun pops over the mountain. The air is fresh and pristine. It’s quiet except for the light sounds of chirping birds, rippling water, rustling wind, and occasional cars driving by on the distant road. Eventually the sun shows it’s face as the sunbeams dance on the river's crust.

All of this beauty connects me to memories of past fishing trips with family and friends, some of which have crossed over to the other side to be with the one who created all of this beauty for us to enjoy.

I’m a descendant of pioneers, people who journeyed west to settle in uncharted territory and worship God according to their newfound religion. My ancestors drove their wagons led by a team of oxen or they themselves pulled a handcart with all their belongings. The path was unpaved and rough. Along the way they found their food as they fished the streams and rivers.

One such pioneer was Wilford Woodruff who wrote about his experience in 1847. He said, "The man at the fort said there were but very few trout in the streams, and a good many of the brethren were already at the creeks with their rods & lines trying their skill baiting with fresh meat & grass hoppers, but no one seemed to catch any.

"I went & flung my fly onto the [brook] and it being the first time that I ever tried the artificial fly in America, or ever saw it tried, I watched it as it floated upon the water with as much intense interest as Benjamin Franklin did his kite when he tried to draw lightning from the skies. And as Franklin receive great joy when he saw electricity or lightning descend on his kite string, in like manner was I highly gratified when I saw the nimble trout dart my fly hook himself & run away with the line but I soon worried him out & drew him to shore."

Photo: My cousin Tyler holding a Steelhead trout on our trip to Salmon, Idaho. We've been fishing together since we were kids.

9 comments:

  1. Just so glad to hear your out there enjoying life with that new heart...what a miracle you are...happy for you and your family...
    Happy Easter with that darling daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing it must feel to be able to get out there and continue doing the things you once loved and enjoying family! Truly a miracle! You are such an inspiration, not only to those of us with healthy hearts, but to those precious children, like my son, born with CHD's. You are setting an example for them to strive to reach their dreams and to never give up HOPE!

    Jen, Craig & Andrew
    http://www.thehuegelfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your brother can't wait to fish with you someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy that you're able to participate in all these fun activities again now with your new heart. Happy Easter to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never "really" been fishing...me tying string to a stick as a kids doesn't count does it? Your post makes me want to load up the kids, and head to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably continue to feel as if time is running out. It's been hard for me to not think that way after the loss of Stephen, although temporary. But expecially for you and your family... because of the road that you've been on. I'm so proud of you for making the most of your "new" life--- and for sharing your thoughts and special insights. We love you Paul. Amazing falls short to what you and your family ARE to me.... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooooo, did you catch anything? And if so, how big was it really?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fly fishing picture Paul. I think it is truly amazing all of the many things you are able to enjoy now that you have your new heart.

    I know how much my life has changed because of the journey I am on with my own heart child. Everything seems more beautiful and I can feel that beauty in my heart....not just see it with my eyes. I know it is because I understand how much more precious life is and how it can quickly be taken away.

    I am sure it is the same for you after your second chance at life....although you have been on this chd journey for a while....but getting a new heart....and a new chance at life has to be an amazing feeling. Enjoy it Paul!

    Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
    www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, I just wanted to tell you thank you and that your "Celebrate Life" concert touched my heart. I lost my heart baby the same day that you received your new heart and I am always so grateful to hear heart success stories! Thank you for your music and for your touching stories. Casi Blanchard casiblanchard@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete