Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hope for Patrick



Congenital disorders have a wide variety of birth defects. One such serious problem is "short gut syndrome" meaning, the complete dysfunction of a large segment of bowel or simply they're missing most of their intestines.

I met Patrick Hoopes, an adorable little boy with big brown eyes and an infectious smile, while I was staying as a patient in the Primary Children's Medical Center waiting for my heart transplant.

When his parents Emily and Brian Hoopes adopted Patrick they knew he had some medical challenges, but did not know to what extent. They've loved this boy from the first time they saw him and knew he would be their son.

Doctors informed the Hoopes that Patrick needs an intestinal transplant or he will not live more than a few years. His family are traveling back and forth to Seattle Children's Hospital from Salt Lake City where Patrick has been listed for an intestinal transplant.

I promised the family that if I made it out the hospital alive I would do what I can to help. This is why I'm hosting a benefit concert for Patrick. It's a rare and unusual situation and I'm thrilled to be a small part of his amazing life.

For more information and to purchase concert tickets visit:
http://www.showclix.com/event/9223/

3 comments:

  1. I have a good friend thats little girl had a full bowel, liver, and kidney transplant. They are rare and right now contiversial. Hoping this event can raise a lot of money to help this beautiful boy because it will be a long road ahead for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful boy! I may just have a soft spot for adopted kiddos but what a great cause! It was great to meet you today and the music was just beautiful!!! Your mother was such a delight and her words just offered just peace to all. Thank-you for sharing your talent and for helping to head up such a wonderful day for the heart Moms!
    Heart hugs,
    Mom to angels Lilly and Ryker

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are missing your great music that is usually on your blog. My niece is Bela and we check out your blog every so often to follow your amazing story. Please put your music back. I listen to it at work to help get through the day. Good luck and God bless.

    ReplyDelete