Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sobering Events

Friday evening was humbling. Each year IDS, our local organization that manages the organ donation process holds an event honoring families of loved ones who’ve donated their organs, tissue, and bones. With nearly 1000 people crowding the West Valley Cultural Celebration Center some folks stood to watch the event unfold.

I performed, “Gracie’s Theme” and was followed by Courtnee Vanderlinden who told us about the beautiful life and character of her 4-year old niece Kyla Lambson who died after a tragic accident in which the little girl was run over by a vehicle and killed in the driveway of her home.

According to the Deseret News, “The girl, Kyla Lambson, had just arrived home with a neighbor who had taken her to church. The 37-year-old woman parked her SUV in the home's steep driveway and both got out of the vehicle. They were walking to the home's front door when the girl's brother yelled at them from across the street to come look at something he found. The neighbor and Kyla started walking down the driveway, behind the SUV, when the woman noticed her vehicle was rolling down the hill toward them. She tried to grab Kyla and pull her out of the way, but it was too late. The SUV ran over the little girl.

Sweet little Kyla slowly slipped out of her tiny body leaving her mother and family behind. It was then that I believe and I imagine the arms of a loving God, another who suffered a tragic death, on a cross, tenderly wrapped His arms around Kyla as He comforted her and welcomed her back home.

Image: "Security" by David Bowman


Later we watched a video featuring more than 100 people, who like Kyla, passed away leaving their organs to be donated to someone fighting to survive. One by one each soul who had passed has a story, a life, a family. It was hard to watch.

There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about the fragile nature of life. I’m reminded to make every moment count. No one can escape death. As the saying goes, “you won’t get out of here alive.” Are we ready? Are we prepared? What should we change in our lives? Have we said all the things we would want someone to hear? Following through on these questions will not only improve our lives and happiness, but it will strengthen the lives of those around us. Each time we say, “I love you” to another human being and truly mean it, there becomes a rippling effect that goes far beyond his or her own life. That love will carry beyond. The only thing that conquers pain and the suffering of the world is love.

Inside my chest beats the heart of a young man. I think about him every day. I thank the God in Heaven for his life. I look forward to thanking him when my life is over. Just as Jesus has laid down his life for you and me that we might some day live again, so has my organ donor made it possible for me to live again for another season.

I’m not sure how long that will be? This past week I got word that my friend Emily, who received a heart transplant two months before I was listed for my own, who inspired me with her optimism at the time, passed away from complications of heart failure. She was a huge contribution of service and kindness to our community and loved by many. She will be greatly missed. She’s left her husband Peter and two children.

All of this is sobering. I’m reminded I have an unknown future. I pray I may live to love, as Emily and Kyla, and others who’ve come and gone over time. I feel I have plenty to do.

I trust God. He is my friend. His eternal plan for all of us brings me the peace, strength, and hope I need to endure. There is no doubt in my mind of this truth. If you don’t know this, I encourage you to get on your knees and open up your heart to Him. Thank Him for every good thing in your life. You will feel His voice. The God of Heaven is our Father and adores you. One day we’ll look back and recognize all that He has done for His children in advancing us to greater levels of light, love and knowledge.

Register to be a Donor

10 comments:

  1. Your words and sentiment chip away the hard parts of my heart and remind me who I am. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for a liver transplant and the emotions surrounding the donor have be an huge challenge for me. This became even more complicated when my younger brother stepped forward and insisted as much as volunteered to be my donor and me give 60% of his liver.

    You have no idea how much I appreciate this post and comments. Throughout my life I have been an generous person and found it easy to give whatever was within my means. However, I have been a much poorer receiver and at times have refused help that I needed out of pride. Now this is not an option. As I read you paraphrase of the Savior "no greater love..." I was touched and felt the warmth of understanding about my own circumstance and by brother's willingness to endure much pain and suffering to allow me to "see another season."

    For the past year I have followed your blog. During that time I learned of my own failing liver and the need for a transplant. As I have waited I have found comfort and strength in your messages. I have been touched by your ability to take emotions that seem beyond words and translate them in such a way that others can understand. On numerous occasions your testimony of the gospel as been a strength to me. Your ability to seem these principles in the trails and tribulations is remarkable, and your willingness to share these very personal moments with the world is appreciated.

    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Paul. I just wish you would have left the "unknown" part of it out. No, I realize how true that is. When Stephen was here, we had no idea how long we'd have him.

    Any amount of time with you here Paul, teaching and reminding us of the beauty that life itself brings---- is time that has meant so much to so many people. I am so thankful for your new life. I am also thankful for the many lives that have been preserved. The blessing of a new life is probably the greatest gift---- after birth itself.

    I'm thankful for the medical profession and all of the love that they put into what they do. I'm also thankful to our Heavenly Father who knows what is best, who knows where we are "needed" in his work. I have more trust for the Lord, since Stephen's passing. He showed me that Stephen was needed at home and then he showed me that Stephen was needed to continue the work in Heaven. BOTH of which I would have to agree with, even as hard as my heart aches for the circumstances to have been entirely different sometimes.

    Thanks for reminding all of us how delicate our lives are. As Stephen passed on, while in my arms... I was in awe of how fast life can be taken or gone. It was at that point that I knew that I had to share. I didn't want others to think that they were immune to death. Death visits us all & the timing is always unknown. We should live each day in gratitude to the Lord--- & constantly, in a way that exemplifies our gratitude for our very own lives-- as well as the lives of our many loved ones. AND especially for the lives that have gone before us!

    We should live like YOU. You are so humble Paul.

    Thank you!

    Love Jess Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father died of cancer when I was a teen, and although I miss him terribly after all these years, his passing taught me to treasure life, to realize that life is about relationships and not material things, and that each moment with a loved one is precious.

    Thanks for reminding us of the sacredness of life, Paul, and of the importance of telling others that we love them. I've lost several close friends and family members to cancer this year and am so grateful to know I will some day see them again. I am so thankful for the gift of life and for the knowledge that we can live again with those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture of Christ holding the child. I found the artist's website, if you'd like to attribute it. It's "Security" by David Bowman: http://www.bowman-art.com/frames/index-security.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Paul. Thank you for helping me to start off my week and day in the right frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially appreciate the 6th and last paragraphs. Thank you for sharing your testimony and for all you do to support and uplift others through your music and positive outlook.

    I made sure I was registered to be a donor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written Paul. You are doing amazing things and I am sure one day, when it is time, and you get to meet that young man he will be thanking you for living in honor of him....the gift that his family gave to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this. It's amazing how the life of one can impact so many...we're thankful for you and your advice, words of wisdom and gratitude for life. This is just what I needed to read today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son received a Kidney Transplant from an organ donor in 2006. He has done very well. My husband and I attended the benefit the following April after my sons transplant and it was something I will never forget. IDS actually used my sons picture on the video as one of the recipients from organ donation. I actually think they still use his picture when they go around to schools and talk about organ donation because a few of my nephews have mentioned that they saw his picture while they were talking about it.

    I too have a special place in my heart for organ donors. The day that my son received his transplant I had such mixed emotions. I was so excited that he was going to be getting better but the fact that someone was losing a child was too much for me to handle at times. I had to not even think about it for a long time because of the pain it would cause me. I am SO thankful for the family that donated their loved ones organs. The only thing that we can do to honor that is to LIVE to live everyday. Live everyday to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete