Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Strength to Listen

Each week as I attend my transplant clinic at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City I run into other families with a child who has a heart defect or is waiting for a heart transplant.

This past week I was fortunate to spend a brief moment with Lucas and his mother. They checked into the hospital in the room next to me shortly before I left home. Lucas needs a heart soon. He is a sweet infant with a beautiful smile who gets the affection of the nurses who cared for me.


In Lucas’s room I could feel God’s love and I know He is deeply involved in their battle. I was honored to be in the presence of Lucas.

Photo: Visiting with Lucas and his mother Kristin while he waits for a heart tranplant

As I was leaving the hospital on the elevator after visiting with Lucas I accidentally got off on the wrong floor. These things are not a coincidence because I was fortunate to run into Briton and his mother Stacee.

I
was wearing my green mask since I was in a public environment, which protects me from catching the flu or a cold while my immune system is worse than a newborn child. Unfortunately, my mask frightened young Briton.

I felt bad and offered him my Three Musketeer candy bar I had just purchased. I had a good time talking to them and know God is deeply involved in their lives.

Briton received the Fontan procedure several weeks ago and is doing quite well. He should have a long life ahead of him. The fontan has greatly improved from the time I had received it more than twenty years ago.

As I visited with these two families I again realized that even though I feel a season of victory there are others in the midst of a hard battle.

Often, so many of us are oblivious to what’s happening next door or in our own homes.


I hope I never forget or lose sight of the fact that there are children and adults throughout the world in need of our kindness, love, prayers, and a little help.

My scars are reminders.

Photo: Visiting with Briton and his mother Stacee. He is recovering from the fontan surgery

You and I can only do so much. We can improve the world by choosing to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort.

I believe God will guide us to where we need to be to serve others.

If I've learned anything at all through my experiences it is that I know God is the Father of us all. He loves his children more than we can imagine. We can trust in Him.

No matter how much we do or try to do to help in the end it's the love of God that is going to help ease the pain and suffering of others. I felt His love through the kind acts of others.

Of course we need seasons to celebrate!

However, I’ve learned that even though we are in a state celebration or like we don’t have a care in the world, we should have within each of us the strength to listen to our impressions and be ready to go and do all that is asked of us.

So what can we do today?

Instead of focusing on everyone we know with a trial try selecting one person in need and go and do something about it. Maybe that means offering up a prayer, sending a thoughtful e-mail, making phone call, delivering a kind note, or simply listening to their burdens without saying much. Be a listening ear and enjoy the time you have with that person.

By doing this you’ll find more peace and happiness because you’re thinking of others.

11 comments:

  1. Paul, you are amazing! Reaching out to so many others. I don't know if you realize the impact you have on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing gift you are to the people who get to know you.

    Keep sreading God's love to those you meet and giving support to those who need it most! I know how much it means to families having someone who understands.

    Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
    http://www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this, Paul. It's easy to feel overwhelmed with so many who are in need, but your advice to do what we can in our own little realm of influence is inspiring. You do so much to inspire others with this blog and I'm sure those families felt very loved from your visits with them. Keep celebrating! I'm so happy that you have cause to celebrate--you've waited a long time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that you take the time to stop and talk to other families. I wish we would run into up there sometime. When I brought the blankie for Eden I got there and saw that you were in surgery, so I missed you then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! I can feel your testimony through everything that you say... You strengthin mine, especially during a time like this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing those two precious boys with us! I will pray for them.

    You continue to amaze me Paul! I wish we were at Primarys so that I could meet you too.

    Mister Owen is in the cath lab here at Stanford, and we will know soon if he will be listed for a heart or if he can come home and wait a little longer. Aye aye aye, I'm anxious.

    ((Heart Hugs))
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the inspiring post. I needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. You said it just right.

    :) Love the snowman you and Eden made too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes your words are just a little bit eerie. Did you know you were talking to me?? You are a conduit to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are doing so much better. You look great and your daughter is so beautiful. I hope I can see things brighter from my circumstances with having a special needs daughter who has seizures/cerebral palsy. Its been an emotional journey. May I have the strength to make it through each day. I pray to GOD for HOPE.

    Thanks for your caring heart for others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still here looking around your blog. :-) This is a neat post. I'm encouraged by the way you are so willing to be used by God in the lives of others. God bless you.

    In Christ,
    Angela @ Eternal Outlook

    ReplyDelete