Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Bike and Answers to Prayer

In addition to this new entry please come back on Friday for a very special announcement!

One of the last e-mails I received from my brother Brian who tragically died this past summer wrote to me, “I am excited to see what you accomplish with 100% capacity post transplant! Maybe we should get you a road bike or some skis or something.”

Photo: I'm wearing a mask in public because of the amount of immunosuppressant drugs I am taking to prevent organ rejection. So far all testing shows I have little if any rejection.

In the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) as I recovered from an beautifully orchestrated surgery I noticed I had never felt so alive. Blood was flowing through my body and I could feel it giving new life and energy to my soul. With an ambitious spirit I said to my wife, “I am going to get a bike and ride around like a silly little boy.” Doctors advised me to wait 6-8 weeks for my sternum to heal.

I was anxious to buy a bike but my family kept telling me not to go out and buy one yet because my sister in law Anna had a connection with one of the local bicycle shops. We spoke over the phone. I mentioned to her what Brian had said to me in one of his last e-mails. She said, “I know just what you need and what Brian would have gotten for you.” I trusted her instinct.

As I anxiously awaited word, I set aside some money I had been saving to help pay for my new joy ride.

Photo: Following Eden on a bike ride at sunset

The other night as my family gathered at my parent’s home. It was a beautiful evening with the leaves changing colors. My mom said, “Let’s go outside while the weather is still good.” I said, "I’ll be out in a few minutes." I was transferring some video my dad had taken of Eden and me up the canyon.

I walked outside to find everyone smiling. I looked towards them and saw a beautiful black road bike lying up against a chair on the grass where my sister in law Anna was standing. She had found me a bike.  And this was not your average bike.

I could barely contain myself I was so excited. Then, my heart was overwhelmed with emotion when she told me, “It's Brian’s bike. He used to ride this thing around like a silly little boy going off jumps.” I had no idea my brother had a bike. He never told me about it and there are no photos. Overcome with joy, I asked, "What do I pay you for this?" She was insulted and said, “I’m not going to sell you Brian’s bike. It’s yours. He wants you to have it.” Thank you Anna.

We all miss my brother.

Now that I’m alive and recovered, I think about Brian’s death each day. I remember sobbing like a child over his casket with oxygen tubes in my nose. Many of my tears are buried with him.

Since his tragic death I have asked our Heavenly Father, the creator of all things, in humble prayer, “Why Brian? Why not me? I’m the sick one. He’s thriving. He’s amazing. He has plenty of time to do many many great things.” I carried this with me until the day the call came a heart had become available.


In the quiet moment of night, prior to my life-threatening surgery, came the tender impression from our Father in Heaven, which said to me, “I need him.” Comfort filled the room and my body experienced a powerful sense of peace and solace. My old heart burned and felt empowered. Then I felt another impression say to me, “I need you here.”

I have no doubt, when all is said and done, and I’m finished with what I want to do here, I will join my brother in the afterlife.

Photo: Brian Cardall helping his daughter Ava learn to walk

 Each of us, you and me, has a purpose or destiny. You have talents, gifts, a personality and characteristics, which should enable you to accomplish a lot of good in this world and in the next. We have within us the love, service, and selfless acts of kindness, needed to strengthen our marriages, families, community, and the world.

I know Brian is alive and doing special things. I’m sure he finds time to ride a bike, climb mountains, re-unite with old family, observe the stunning new colors of the flowers and nature, ask a lot of questions, and associate with those he hasn’t seen in many years.

I believe my brother has been with God, felt of His comforting embrace, and heard the song of redeeming love. I believe this is the same for the millions upon millions.

I realize these thoughts and answers are deep or heavy. Where do I get this information and confidence?

Artwork: Lost and Found by Greg Olsen (official link)

According to my LDS faith there is scripture which provides me with a comforting answer regarding this sensitive subject, “Behold, it has been made known unto me (The Prophet Alma) by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil are taken home to that God who gave them life… And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.” (Alma 40:11-12, The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ)

Every time I get on Brian’s bike and ride around like a silly little boy I’ll be reminded of our relationship. It will last beyond this world because life is eternal made possible by Jesus, the Creator of all things. Coming to earth is part of a great plan. We've come to get a body, learn how to control it, overcome addictions, and return home to the God who gave us life to continue in assisting the millions of those who are struggling to find their way back home.


As I regain my strength, I will try to continue to do here what I believe Brian is doing in a world of spirits, which is offering hope to people.

What do people need? They need kindness. They need to know they are not alone. They need to know there are those who love them. They need to know in their hearts our Heavenly Father, the supreme being, knows their names and you can talk to Him in a prayer by yourself in a quiet place in your home or car. He will listen.

When I am at home with my daughter and she's in another room with her eyes closed. She can't see me, but she knows I'm there.

As the saying goes, “A man or woman will never stand taller than when he or she is on their knees” in prayer seeking help, strength, and answers to life’s most challenging questions.

To my dear brother Brian and his beautiful wife Anna, their new baby Bella Aspen and toddler Ava Sky, thank you for the bike! I'll ride it like a silly boy!

29 comments:

  1. Beautifully written & very moving, Paul. So cool to have this fun connection with Brian! Thank you for sharing your heart-felt testimony - even 'silly boys' wear helmets, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 3 yr old daughter was looking over my shoulder as I read this post. She saw that "lost and found" picture and just said, "Hey - that's Jesus. Who's that boy?" I told her it was someone who was lost and Jesus came to help him. She replied, "How did Jesus come down?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the neatest posts I've ever read. Thanks for sharing your testimony. I'm glad you have a fun connection to your brother through his bike. What a neat gift!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only words that come to mind is Thank You. We all have struggles and wonder those same questions Thank You for so beautifully putting those feeling and thoughts into words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a moving post. Your brother's legacy will live on in the hearts of those who love him most!

    Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
    www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reminding me what my head forgets and my soul tries to tell me.

    Ride like the wind, Bullseye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following your blog for some time now and have always wanted to leave a comment. After reading this one today I had to write you.

    Paul, Please write a book! Please, please write about your life. You have such an amazing story to tell and share. You will touch so many more lives if it is in a book for people to pickup instead of being lucky and finding it on your blog as I did.
    You will bring so many people closer to their Savior Jesus Christ by just shairing your story and testimony. My testimony of Christ grows stronger each time I read your blog.
    I have no doubt that your book would be just a wonderful to read as your beautiful music is to listen to. You have such a talent for both. Please share it with the world!

    Thank you so very much Paul for allowing us, "your blogging friends" to walk with you and your sweet little family through this very scary, sacred and amazing life of yours.
    Even though we've never met in person, I am honored to know of you. I am a better person because of you.
    Love, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can truly carry Brian's legacy by taking that bike on the many adventures yet to come. What a great gift from your sister in law to keep Brian's love alive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly don't know if you read these responses ;)...but I have to say, I needed this post...needed it on a level I can't begin to explain. Your sorrow, your pain your questions are so human. Your faith, your strength, your ability to edure...is Godly. I can't understand your strength, I waver with the slightest of trials, I feel weak and unworthy of Gods love and help. Every day I wonder, "Why? Why can't I be stronger, be better, do more, BE more for my family...for my Father in Heaven." I needed this post...I NEEDED it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul~ You are beyond inspiring. These words touched me in a way little has lately. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, perspective and experience. You will truly never know the impact you've had on others for good.

    I play your music for my sweet heart baby McKay nearly every day. And when he's old enough, I will share your story with him. Who knows--maybe someday you two will meet. I have a feeling you'll be able to understand him in ways I can only imagine.

    Thank you for continuing to be part of our life.

    Much love,
    Mindi

    ReplyDelete
  11. A SONG DEDICATION TO YOU:

    (I hope this post doesn't appear twice, as I posted it earlier this morning.)

    I am once again truly inspired and moved by this post.

    I continue to hear a song called, "I'm Alive" by Kenney Chesney and Dave Matthews. You must listen to it on iTunes or YouTube. The words are amazing and I think of you each time I hear it. I hope you can take a listen and enjoy.

    Kind regards,
    Marshelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post and i know Brian would want you to have that bike and enjoy! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing post, escpecially for those of us who have lost dear ones. What a special gift to cherish. I hope weather permits many wonderful rides with fond memories of Brian.
    I hope Brian meets my brother in Heaven, he passed away a few years ago. I used to ride on his handlebars through our neighborhood when I was small and he taught me how to ride my first bike. I cannot think of a more perfect gift for you to receive after all you have endured.

    Looking forward to your announcement Friday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tender post. You continue to lift me and so many others in ways you will never know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul, thank you for sharing your miraculous story and incredible faith with us. It helps me face my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet post Paul. I always love reading your detailed posts. I feel like I know exactly what you are saying and feeling when you write it. Thank you. As always, you brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the tears flow from my eyes I hear a man who has been given a chance at life. A chance to ride a bike like a silly little boy! A bike that was once your precious brother's! May you find peace each time you feel the wind in your face as you ride. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Paul. I have tears streaming down my face. That is so touching. What a selfless and amazing sister-in-law you have. I am so glad to hear all the wonderful things you are able to do. keep posting. It brings so many of us hope!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful, priceless gift. I am glad that you are feeling great and I hope you get to ride that bike like a silly little boy lots and lots. Thank you for sharing your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such an amazing, sweet, tender story. Thank you for sharing this and reminding me of what matters most in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Words can not tell you the feeling that I have as I read your testimony. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I always hope that you will ride the bike like a silly little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paul,

    Your words never fail to reduce me to tears. I am picturing you riding your brother's bike and see pure joy!

    Thankful for you and your family~

    Lisa in TN
    Eli's mom
    www.lisaschaffer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. ahhh what can I say? Your posts always make me cry. Truly you are gifted in how you share your heart. I envy your ability to express...it's a holy envy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sobbing like a baby. The beauty you bring to this world is just breathtaking.

    The World is a better place with you in it and I'm rejoice in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful. Just amazing. We love your music & your spirit! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Paul:
    One of my favorite songs by Hillary Weeks begins, “I haven’t seen His face, but I have seen His miracles”. Recently I witnessed many miracles that testified to me that there is a God in Heaven, and His creation of the human body is the greatest of those miracles.
    One afternoon I stood beside several surgeons as they performed an operation to harvest organs from a deceased individual. This individual had chosen to be an organ donor in order for several very grateful recipients would receive the gift of life. I marveled at the workings of the human body as I watched the heart continually beat in the body where it had been created. This heart had sustained the life of one individual for many years, but would soon be housed in another body to support a new life. It was amazing to watch surgeons work in synchrony to remove the organs in a timely fashion in order to preserve the life of another.
    As I have studied and learned about the human body I have no doubt that we are children of a Heavenly Father who is divinely intelligent. The complexity of the body’s physiology leaves me in awe of its Creator. Each organ was designed with its own purpose, but together they unite in a common cause to maintain a homeostasis environment.
    The body seemingly so fragile has been designed to withstand injury, abuse, and illness, so it may in many cases cure, repair and restore itself. I know of no man- made mechanism which duplicates such a design. We walk around every day never really giving much thought to this amazing creation that houses our spirits. Our vehicles get lubed, oiled and tuned up every so many miles, and we make sure they are running smoothly so never to break down. Do we offer our bodies the same care and attention?
    In the course of my studies I have become acutely aware that God has given “man” the inspiration, knowledge, and skill to develop the medical technology needed to treat diseases, so in many instances life may be prolonged. Each day as I witness doctors, nurses and other medical professionals performing life sustaining procedures I am acutely aware of the gift of life and how blessed I am to live in age of such medical advancement.

    I am so happy you have been blessed with a second chance. I will continually pray for you and your family
    Have a happy dayy
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so very glad you are doing so well! And I am glad for the peace you have been given since your brother's death. We had some of the same impressions when our Annika died--that she was still happy and busy and needed on the other side--and this has brought us much peace also.

    I hope you continue to get stronger and stronger!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete