Thursday, March 12, 2009

In the News!

(Picture: Family photo taken Summer 2008 by BUSATH)

My good friends at Intermountain Donor Services in Salt Lake City have been asking me to share my story with our community through the media. It took me awhile before I said yes. But, I changed my mind because of the number of parents I’ve observed with children who have congenital heart disease (CHD).

My parents have never given up on me and I now have my own family. Even to this day they stay positive and it motivates me. It’s inspiring. It doesn’t mean we haven’t had our share of tears and frustrations. But, they’ve kept an optimistic attitude about life. They keep hope alive. A man I greatly admire, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, stated, “each time a hope is fulfilled, it creates confidence and leads to greater hope.”

Again, and I’ve said this many times, I’ve been extremely blessed to live almost 36 years after doctors’ thought as a child that I would not make it. If there is one thing I’ve learned it is that we are not in charge. There is a finale' for each of us. Those around us are subject to that. But, until then we all do our best to fight to survive either for ourselves or for our children. It’s mind over matter. I have no doubt that there is something greater than all of this guiding our lives, the lives of our children, and the world in which we experience life.

Another old hero of mine said, and I now understand the humor of what he meant, “You go to bed each night and hope you wake up in the morning.”

So, I hope in sharing my story it might help your life in some way. We are all trying to find “joy” in the journey. These experiences allow each of us to understand the full measure of that word “joy”. But, joy does not come into our hearts until we have experienced a lot of pain, heartache, and tears. C.S. Lewis said, "It's impossible to know happiness until you suffered great pain."

THE DESERET NEWS
A song of the heart is a daily ritual

By Carrie A. Moore

First in an occasional series.

Paul Cardall makes music, the kind his fans say soothes the heart and nurtures the soul. And though he may not know it, his feel for and expression of that music may have literally helped keep his tired heart beating until he receives a new one in the near future.

At age 35, Cardall's award-winning career as a musician — with more than a dozen CDs and numerous public performances under his belt — has taken a sabbatical since August, when he was listed for a heart transplant after a lifelong series of surgeries, medications and therapy. Those who know of his challenge follow his blog to read the latest updates on his condition.

Continue the article


KSL TV
Musician to undergo heart transplant at children's hospital

By Ed Yeates

Video Courtesy of KSL.com

20 comments:

  1. Lynnette told me today you had a news event yesterday, I must say you both looked great, Thanks to both of you for sharing your life story with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find is amazing that you have been able to inspire us in music, and now with being so open as to share your story like this with so many people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,

    I'm so glad that I know your story and hope you can continue to share it for a long time. Over the past few years, your music has become a big part of my family. I'm proud to tell my children that I knew you as a missionary back in Verdemont/University Heights. If only I'd had a greater appreciation then. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

    Thank you,

    Rob Matson

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Heart Mom I love following your story and hearing from you and your sweet wife. After my son was born and we found out he had TGA we were totally shocked and overwhelmed. I just wanted to see and meet older CHD children/adults to give me hope and an outlook for my son's future. Thank you for allowing me to peek into your life!

    We bought tickets for the concert and are so excited to attend!

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Christina (from IHH)
    www.jacobsheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so sweet to watch. I so admire you and your wife's strength. Your daughter is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your blog with all of us! I would love to come to your concert but am due with our third little girl that week, so I won't be able to make it. My prayers are with you.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite quote in the ksl story was when lynnette said, "Paul is worth it." It so describes her attitude, she is amazing and inspirational as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! You did a great job and are helping to spread awareness. Thanks for taking the time to share your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I just found your blog. I have a 4 year old daughter with Pulmonary Atresia and Ebstein's Anomaly (a malformation of the trucuspid valve) which means she has a single ventricle heart - like you. I also recommend you check out hypoplasticrighthearts.com - a support group for people with single ventricle defects that result in a hypoplastic right heart (which I'm sure you have ;) I am in awe that you have survived as long as you have, since they would not have been able to do much of anything for you when you were born - what a miracle that you are still here today. I hope you get your heart. PS - I'm LDS too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul,
    I think just about everytime I have read your blog it brings tears to my eyes. Your story is very inspirational & gives me, and so many others so much hope! I will continue to pray for you & your beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your story with the press, as a father, to my only daughter who has undergone 4 heart surgeries and she's only 4 yrs old, it just amazes me the strength and will that these children and adults like yourself face. Its stories like yours that in some way make things a little easier to bear and gives us some hope for the future, whatever Heavenly Father's plan. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you continue to wait for the life saving heart.

    Prayers,
    Mike, Rebecca and Brinley Patton
    IHH-VP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paul -

    Your story is truly amazing and gives me strength and hope for the future. My daughter was born with CHD and recently had the Glenn and will have the Fontan in a few years. I happened to see you on 3/11 when you were walking by our room at PCMC for a post-op appt and I saw a camera man walking behind you. I had no idea what your story was until a friend emailed me the link to the story you have posted. We will pray for you and your sweet family. I will continue to follow your blog to see updates with your journey. You truly are an inspiration to me and so many others!!!

    Heather Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. awwww!!! "Paul is worth it!!"
    We all think so, too!!! Thanks for letting us be apart of your story! It is truly inspiring!

    Tami Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this article! All of it! As I read it, I have so many of the same feelings/experiences!! It is amazing what a working heart will do. I look forward to traveling this journey with you. You will be a great spokesperson for organ donation I am sure!

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul, it was so nice to meet you at Gracie's funeral. It was so kind of you to play for her family, especially in your condition of health. I admire you for sharing your story with the media. You give all of us heart moms hope!! We will be praying for you and your family.

    Sincerely, Summer (Mason's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article! What an amazing job you did in sharing your story to raise awareness. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just have to write to you! My heart just drop but see you have so much joy in life. My husband too is fight to be put on a transplant list! He was born May 1965 as a dextro-Transposition of the great arteries. I find your story very helpful to me and my family it bring hope to are family. Thank you again for share your story! We keep you and your family in are prays at night! Hugs the Zeigler family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paul, I am in the process of compiling a book about children of hope. It is to give the world hope that children with a variety of different diseases or disorders can bring tremendous hope, light, faith and love to their families and the world. It has been a very inspired effort thus far. I would love for your story to be included. If you think you might be interested in being a part of this please email me at heidi.mcmillan@gmail.com so I can share more with you. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing and wonderful how your community and friends have rallied around you! Your blog inspires me SO MUCH, and I can't wait until I show Casey (4 years, Tricuspid Atresia) your page, and explain that you are a "grown up" with the same special heart as him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing your story. Our sweet Nevaeh is a heart baby. She is an amazing gift. We will pray for you and your family.

    Heart Hugs!
    Lori
    Nevaeh's Mommy (D-TGA,VSD,ASD,CoA)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are such an amazing inspiration!!! I will keep you and your beautiful family in my prayers!!

    p.s. Your music is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I get chills when I listen to it.... I hope you don't mind, but I added one of your songs to my blog...

    Take care!

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete