Wednesday, December 3, 2008

106 days on the list. 15 weeks. All is Well.

106 days on the list. 15 weeks. Any predictions?

Despite the minor physical anxieties of waiting for a heart, always wearing oxygen, taking a bazillion pills, giving myself shots twice a day, and carrying around a bag of medication going directly into a permanent IV in my right arm, I have the larger anxieties experienced by those who are sick for a long time and happily married. Keep in mind that I am too tired to stay busy so all you have to do all day is think and reflect. Above all, you hope your wife, the love of your life, is happy, fulfilled, and appreciated because of her sacrifice, service, and love.

My dad is a journalist and once interviewed one of my hero's Howard Hunter, a former spiritual leader of the LDS church and community giant. The man was soft spoken and humble despite his enormous list of credentials and accomplishments. In the interview my dad asked about all the years that Pres. Hunter tenderly cared for his sick wife who later died in a rest home. "How where you able to do that all those years?" my dad asked. President Hunter with some emotion and pause in his voice said, "She would of done the same thing for me."

I'm also reminded of another time that I was at Bryner Clinic in Salt Lake to see my family doctor. While waiting I observed a feeble old woman waiting for the pharmacist to complete her prescription. She was with her husband. They were both very old, petite and weak. She sat in a wheel chair and was so tired that her head kept falling backward. And I watched this husband, who stood by her side, hold her head up, even though his hands shook and they had to wait for some time. I think he held her head for 20 minutes.

I also remember while serving a mission for my LDS church I was responsible for several missionaries of which were an old couple serving in a small mining town in California. Like all of our missionaries they were responsible to knock on doors and share a message of love about Jesus Christ. The wife had really bad arthritis and knees. At many times she couldn't use her legs because of the pain. But, she didn't want to give up. Her husband drove them in the car from house to house. He would get out and knock on the door while his wife waited. If people said yes to letting them he'd go to the car, open the door, pick up his wife and carry her into the home so they could do what they loved to do most which was bring hope to people through their message.

These several experiences that I observed are always on my mind. And I hope I get the chance to show the same expression of love and service for my wife who has so kindly sacrificed, served, and loved me through this experience. It is much easier to serve than to be served.

8 comments:

  1. Paul,
    I'm an emotional person! But seem to be more this past few weeks... I just have to tell you that I feel SO blessed to have Lynnette back in my life from those short years at SLCC, only knowing her but not knowing her and you for that matter!! I remember you guys going out then, I thought what a cute couple you were.
    To be reconnected with her in the NICU twice there had to have been a reason for the second round.. I was meant to be her friend-so I feel, we have had the best talks and the night we went to dinner at Mimi's Cafe and stayed til close and ended up in the pariking lot continuing our talk- there is NO doubt in my mind the love that this amazing women has for you. She LOVES you so much and I know she is worried about you! I know she feel blessed to have you and Eden in her lives.
    You both have been through So much in your lives, you with your heart problems that has been a lifetime battle and Lynnette being so young and losing her Mom who was SO important to her.. And then all the other stuff that you have both been through, your example and the friendship I have with Lynnette has pulled me out of the garbage I have felt.. It's nice to have someone to relate too. (though I would not wish it upon anyone else), it's great to have someone who understands... You have this in your awesome wife!
    Were praying for you and continue to pray for your strength as well as strength emotionally for both you and Lynnette and pray for understanding for Eden. Your a Great Family!! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's true, that it is easier to serve than be served. So, just think about how good it would make you feel to get to do the things for your wife that she is doing for you! That is how she feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great commentary on what true love and marriage are about. My grandma had a stroke and for 15 years my grandpa cared for her so lovingly and tenderly. He changed so much during that time, he used to be gruff and a little mean, but he softened as he cared for his one true love. Lynnette is amazing, and so are you...you are great examples to us and we are so blessed to be related to you guys. love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful sentiment. May I share one as well? I went with my husband to his company work party a few nights ago and we sat across the table from his co-worker and his wife. This co-worker is probably in his early 50's so still quite young. His wife has a rare form of multiple sclerosis that has ravaged her body and taken much of her quality of life away. Before becoming ill she was a very active wife, mother and worked as an RN. Now she is unable to do normal daily tasks and relies on her family to care for her. Every year I see them at the company party and he is such a sweetheart to her, cutting up her food and helping her to the car. I felt he deserves the "Husband of the Year" award when I learned that he reads books of her choice to her because her vision is too poor. He recently read he the entire Twilight series! I have thought about these two non-stop since this dinner party because I too have become ill since marrying my husband and although I know he loves me, there is always that teeny tiny seed of fear that when my health deteriorates further he will leave me.
    I don't know you Paul or Lynnette but it is obvious the love you have for each other. I pray daily that your heart will come and that your health will continue. Thank you for sharing your positive attitude. May the Lord continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, loving sentiments. You're lucky to have each other! You're both such great examples to us all! We'll continue to pray for that heart (the new and the old)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,
    It's been a really long time since I saw you, playing in your fort in your backyard- which was the coolest fort ever- but I remember seeing your strength then, so I'm comforted in knowing what that strength is now, 25 years later. Your family looks amazing- so good to have an angel for a wife to help you through this huh. Just know that you are in my family's thoughts and prayers. Hang in there buddy.

    Your onetime neighbor, longtime friend-
    Jason Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, since I was there in the beginning of your relationship-I will say Lynnette loves you dearly, she always has. You two are awesome. Hold each other tight!!
    Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete