Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Heart for Christmas | Or Not

The call came at 12:45am. “We have a heart for you,” the voice on the other line said. I was in shock. I had prepared for the call but because it came early Christmas morning and the fact that it was a real call left me speechless and emotional. We had until 2am to get to the hospital. The operation would take place at either 6 or 7am.

I called my parents to meet us at the hospital. They called my siblings to let them know what was going on. Early that night, we had all gathered with the husbands, wives, and kids for our annual Christmas Eve dinner at my parents. It was a great night. We had a special family prayer and the kids acted out the nativity. My wife and daughter left to go home at 11pm. Before putting my 3-year-old daughter to bed we each opened a present. We put her in bed and then Santa came. Then the phone rang.

We arrived at the hospital feeling a great sense of peace and comfort. The time had come and I was ready. Nurses began the preparations. Everyone was extremely positive and saying things like, “Merry Christmas!” and “What a great Christmas gift.”

I received a rather larger IV and a lot of blood was drawn from my already existing picc line for lab work. They had me wash my chest and groin area (where the major arteries are for the heart lung machine) with special medical soap. It was a little cold. Then surgeons came into my room a little before 5am and told my wife and my parents what was expected. He mentioned the “difficulty” of my particular case because of my heart’s anatomy. It would be challenging to get the old heart out. There would be a lot of bleeding. He said, "There is an 80% chance we'll have to go back in later to help stop bleeding." He said chances are I might not make it. Although he had to talk about the downside or the surgery he also mentioned they have an 80-90% success rate with these surgeries on post fontan patients. But, the harsh realities left me a little depressed but I still felt great peace. I had understood the depth of this procedure previously but when you are minutes away from it actually happening life becomes quite sobering.

They came to get me at 5:20am and before the anesthesiologist took me into the operating room I talked briefly with my wife and parents. I kissed Lynnette, told her how much I love her, and then headed down the hallway.

In the cold, brightly lit, O.R., nurses lifted me from my bed onto that firm, narrow, operating table I have become familiar with over the years. I received a dose of versed (Midazolam) for anxiety and preparation. Before I went completely under we were waiting to hear from one of the surgeons, who had gone to harvest the donor heart, if everything was absolutely perfect and good to go. About 30 minutes later the news came. “The new heart had a problem undetected until they looked at it face to face and would not work,” they said. It had an aneurysm which would require some additional surgery on top of everything else we're dealing with.

I didn’t know what to feel. Shock? Relief? Disappointment? I have felt all of those things. Nonetheless, we called it off.

Lynnette and I came home 5 hours later to Christmas morning. My daughter, who had been taken good care of by my sister n’ law, asked if I brought her a sucker from the hospital and things seemed back to normal. I was anxious to experience Santa with my child. One of the gifts from Santa for my daughter was a Fisher Price Medical Kit. She practiced giving shots to me and listened to my heart beat.

I am thankful for the love and support of my family and friends, particularly my sweet wife Lynnette.

This is a roller coaster of emotions. In a way, this experience seems like a brief 2nd opportunity of time before we find out the real outcome of my life’s journey. I am ready for another call but for now I’ll enjoy this weekend with my wife and daughter as we humbly celebrate the birth of the babe in Bethlehem some 2000 years ago.
_____________________________________

Time, precious time
How quickly the leaves fall from the tree.
Time, oh precious time
In a blink of an eye a child grows old.
And in the pursuit of joy and happiness
Lies time
But quickly it fades
And all we have are memories
Precious moments
Remembered in time.
_____________________________________

13 comments:

  1. Wow...what a day. I amamazed by your courage and optimism in the face of adversity. Todd got me your newest CD for Christmas and it immediately brought the Spirit into our home...thank you for sharing your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul
    Your strength through this up and down hill never seems to amaze me. What an AMAZING guy you are and that said an AMAZING wife. I cannot imagine how your day was today and all the times you have been in the hospital waiting for this day! My prayers continue and I bet watching Eden was such a great Christmas! Hang in there! Much luv ur way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul! During our family scripture study tonight we came across a verse which said to "be patient in tribulations"... and we discussed your situation as an example of someone who has excelled in being "patient" (as well as A patient...) I almost just said "my heart goes out to you" but I shall refrain... but we pray for you every night and continue to pray that a good heart will become available soon for you. Consider yourself hugged by myself, Nancy, Rachel and Patrick (and hundreds of others I am sure).

    I hope that lots of your CDs were sold this Christmas! Your music is loved by many but, more importantly, so are you.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that the Lord has a plan for you. I had no doubt that Kaidence's heart would be one that the Lord felt was meant for her. The PICU hospital staff would always say "why doesn't Kaidence have a heart yet?" and I would say "Because the Lord has the perfect heart for her and maybe that family needs more time". What an emotional roller coaster it has been for you and your family. Kaidence just celebrated her 1 year "angel heart" day on the 23rd. I hope that this new year brings you the same beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are amazed by you and Lynnette and your absolute trust in the Lord. You teach us everyday to have more faith and hope in His plan for us! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for letting us be there at the hospital with you - it was a great way to spend Christmas Eve! We are deeply sorry that it didn't turn out how we were expecting, but how thankful we are that everything is going well and that you will be able to get the perfect heart now. Craig and I look up to you and Lynnette so much. Thank you for being amazing examples of patience and faith. We love you, Lynnette and Eden so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MAN!! I'm sure it happened like this for a reason. What a strange turn of events. Hope you were able to be comfortable for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello paul! we've never met, but i have to tell you that you are such an inspiration to me! i have always loved and played your music, which for me was life-changing, but now, after finding your blog, i am beyond words in awe at your faith. thank you so much for sharing. i hope you don't mind that i keep you in my prayers! merry christmas and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you and Lynnette are both such incredible people - you are truly an inspiration to me! We will keep you in our prayers... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paul, You don't know us, but we have a 2 year old son with multiple heart defects resulting in half a heart. We have followed your blog and watched you from afar as we were on the same pod in the hospital once. You are an inspiration to so many, as is your family. We are praying for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. We find much hope for our sons future in your story.
    Quinneys

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paul - Cindie Quintana here:) I had no idea that you are experiencing such serious health problems. I was always aware of your history but not the current situation. I am so very sorry to learn of this Paul. I want you to know how inspirational your music is to so many people. I never told you this but your music helped my son tremendously while he was going through rehab. Part of his recovery was meditation and you had give me a couple of your CD's when I was working with Karen Kristoffersen (1999). Your music was truly a godsend. Every time our son was stressed he would go into his room and put on one of your CD's. Just the other day my 15-year old daughter was playing one of your CD's while doing her homework. It reminded me of how kind hearted you are Paul. Every time I have needed you for a charity performance you have been there to readily assist me and I will always be grateful. I remember the performance you gave at one of my events in 2005 for the American Red Cross, the room was packed and after you finished the entire room erupted with overwhelming applause and a standing ovation. It was truly a memorable moment to behold. I wish you the best Paul and will keep you in my prayers. Keep the faith, miracles happen every day, you deserve one. Your friend, Cindie Quintana contact: cindie.quintana@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Paul. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this emotional roller coaster. You've got such a cute family. - the Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul and Lynette-
    Wow- what an experience. And what amazing strength and perspective you have for such a difficult period in your lives. You are an inspiration to all of us. Our prayers and thoughts are with you at this time. We have enjoyed looking at your website/blog and hope for the best for your darling little family.
    Dr. Russell and staff

    ReplyDelete