Friday, October 8, 2010

Second Life

Looking out of my Marriot hotel room window I see an air-med helicopter take flight off the roof of Methodist Hospital. In the distance stands Texas Children’s Hospital known as one of America’s top 10 pediatric hospitals. Everywhere I go in this section of downtown Houston people are wearing scrubs, nice suits, and appear to be headed to an important meeting. I see a curiosity and determination in these faces to make a difference in the lives of families affected by illness.

Last evening as part of my book tour I met with a several families affected by congenital heart disease as well as a few close friends living in Houston. We shared our stories and discussed advancements in medical technology, surgical options, faith in God, and our gratitude for the facilities helping to keep our children alive or their kindness in helping us through the loss of our children.

One mother shared her love for her son Byron who has numerous complications associated with his heart, lungs, trachea, and other parts of his body. She has spent a lot of time at her sons bedside. Her son statistically should not be alive. After undergoing a wide range of surgical procedures Byron is alive and a wonderful blessing to his mother and older brother. She said with great faith, “He’s my miracle. With God all things are possible.”

I echo her statement.

On the flip side I continue to meet so many parents who have lost children and wonder why there was no miracle with their child. This is a very good question.

Shortly after my heart transplant I had a conversation with my anesthesiologist. He is a man of faith. He said, “Medical diagnosis and statistics often tells us whether a child is going to live or die as a result from surgery. Too often, no matter how well we operate the child expected to survive goes into cardiac arrest or has some other complication causing the death to happen unexpectedly. Whereas, too often when our diagnosis and statistics tells us there is no way a child should make it through the surgery and yet they miraculously make it, we are ever more convinced that someone else, some divine power is clearly in charge of our lives.” His statement has given me great comfort because even most medical personnel are convinced God exists. They see His work happen in the hospital room. This also comforts me because I believe He is there to take that child home with Him for a greater purpose.

Artwork by David Bowman

Last September, as I was wheeled off to a surgical procedure doctors were determined to do all they can to remove an old enlarged scarred heart struggling to beat inside my chest giving me life. It was challenging. Odds were not in my favor. I was not expected to survive. Surgeons operated anyways. At some point during this sobering event the heart that had kept me alive for 36 years finally stopped and was removed from my body. Technically, I died. However, for some reason God gave me permission to stay and through his children operating in that room with all of their talents and inspired gifts, I was granted a second life.

Some go. Some stay. Ultimately, it is love that is stronger than death. Love can’t stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can’t separate people from love. It can’t take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death. I believe life continues after death and our loved ones become a great motivator from the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment