Monday, October 18, 2010

A Perfect Test and a Historic Climb

The lab results came back really good according to my transplant team who had me undergo the official "1 year out" transplant tests.

Doctors did a routine biopsy where they inserted a long thin instrument through the jugular vein in my neck and removed a small piece of heart tissue from my right ventricle to test for any sign of rejection. While I was on the operating table for the biopsy doctors also inserted another long thin instrument through the femoral artery in my right groin and shot some dye into the chambers of my heart to check for pressures and other helpful things. This is called a cardiac catheterization.

The following day I got on an airplane to Houston for the event with families affected by Congenital Heart Disease. Obviously, these procedures are critical and dangerous but most folks are back to work and responsibilities. We've come very far in how with medical technology and helping people feel hardly any pain.

More than ever, I am continuing to enjoy the mountains where altitude sickness used to keep me from the high altitudes. I'm fly fishing, hiking a trail, or camping overnight. I continue to look back on my journey up mount Olympus with family and friends in honor of my brother Brian.

Lately, I've been sharing this video with people when I go out and speak. I thought it only appropriate to share it here and I encourage you to listen to the words of the song from Kutless.


No comments:

Post a Comment