Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cook Children's

Photo: Cook Children's in Ft. Worth, Texas

Last fall, when I was living in Primary Children's Medical Center my surgeon came into my room and we talked about my upcoming heart transplant surgery. With an IV tube into my right arm, oxygen around my face, and other devices surrounding me, I was dying.

Doctor Kaza said something to the extent, "When a heart becomes available, I will work on you as though you were my own brother." This gave me great comfort and strengthened my resolve to survive. Then he gave me counsel. "While you're here among these sick children get out and meet them," he said. "You can give them hope."

As I followed the doctors advice I not only found great happiness in getting to know other patients and their parents, but these patients with all of their challenges and great attitudes inspired me and gave me hope. Their parents made me appreciate all that my own had done for me in sitting by my bedside all those years.

Since that time, I am fortunate to visit other children's hospitals around the country. Last week, I was in St. Louis Children's and this week in Ft. Worth, Texas at Cook Children's Medical Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment