Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 | Looking Back

A month or two after I was listed for a heart transplant on August 20, 2008 my parents, brothers and sisters along with their spouses, a few of which were in town from Dallas and Las Vegas, gathered in my grandparent’s home to discuss the transplant list and the serious nature of my heart failure. We had a family prayer and then my Dad said something to the effect, “We are going to have a rather tough year ahead of us, but I feel Paul is going to make it.”

After we discussed several other issues, my father and brothers gathered around me and blessed me according to the traditions of my Mormon faith. Led by my father and the faith of my sisters in the room, my brothers gave me what we call a priesthood blessing. As part of the experience I was told I would feel God’s love through the ordeal and be blessed with strength to endure the challenges ahead. In addition, my father was impressed to say I would get well.

As 2009 draws to a close, looking back who would have thought that two of the men in that room would have passed away leaving me with a miraculous recovery and a second chance at life?

Within seven months, my younger brother Brian was tragically killed in a taser incident the details of which are confusing, ridiculous, and painful. This was a sad and unfortunate event that obviously could have been prevented. I continue to wrestle with the nature of his death.

Here I was waiting for a new heart, which requires someone to die, my whole family praying for my survival, and another member of our family dies.

Could life be anymore ironic? Where could I find understanding and peace? How can any of us find answers to life’s most challenging moments with such tragedy?

Devastated and heartbroken our family understood the sacrifice, heartache and pain my donor’s family would feel losing their son, brother, father, and friend.

Later, my grandfather Layton, who joined us in that room with Brian more than a year ago, quietly slipped to the other side on a Sunday evening in November. This was a much more welcomed occasion because he had enjoyed a full life and raised a large posterity of more than 100 people loyal to one another.

For me, with the passing of these great men, including my donor, I found strength in prayer, attending Church to be with others who also love God, reading inspiring books, and overall, listening intently to music. The right type of music always opens a conduit to heaven for me.

I was particularly inspired by fellow musician Steven Curtis Chapman, who released an album inspired by his struggle to deal with the death of his own daughter. His son backed the car out of the driveway accidentally injuring the little girl who later was pronounced dead at the hospital.

As Chapman struggled to find hope and understanding from a kind and merciful God he'd proclaim to believe in his entire life, he humbly wrote the words:

It was the day the world went wrong
I screamed til my voice was gone
And watched through the tears as everything
came crashing down
Slowly panic turns to pain
As we awake to what remains
and sift through the ashes that are left
behind

But buried deep beneath
All our broken dreams
we have this hope:

Out of these ashes... beauty will rise
and we will dance among the ruins
We will see Him with our own eyes
Out of these ashes... beauty will rise
For we know, joy is coming in the morning...
in the morning, beauty will rise

Photo: Taking my daughter Eden snowmobiling. Just one of the many amazing things I can do with my hear transplant

Truly, this has been a year of life and death, joy and sadness, miracles and tragedy. I have been grieving not only my brother and grandfather, but I am grieving my donor. Nonetheless, I do believe out of these ashes beauty will rise!

As I’ve taken this journey I’ve come to know other people suffering from congenital heart defects and terminal diseases. I’ve attended too many funerals. Each one has been extremely special, important, as has reaffirmed to me the reality of God and life after death. To say this life is all there is, for me, is madness. No matter what science proves science belongs to God. It is His tool to save mankind and redeem them from a fallen state to a state of eternal happiness.

I am grateful for life. We have no idea when it will be over. We don’t know our time to leave this beautiful world unless we have a terminal diagnosis. As one who was faced with death in 2009, and somehow by the grace of God has been given a new lease on life, I can’t tell you how thankful I am for those of you who prayed selflessly for our family this past year. Truly, 2009 has been one to remember. Our souls have been stretched and our relationship to the Creator has been strengthened.

Photo: My daughter Eden with my brother Brian's daughter Ava

Here’s to 2010, may there be less trials and tribulations and more laughter, silly behavior, and fun memories.

And on a serious note, when your depressed or your heart is aching remember these words from Steven Curtis Chapman which helped me through 2009.

When you think you've hit the bottom
and the bottom gives way
and you fall into a darkness
no words can explain
and you don't know how you make it out alive
Jesus will meet you there.

When the doctor says, "I'm sorry,
we don't know what else to do."
and you're looking at your family
wondering how they'll make it through...
Whatever road this life takes you down,
Jesus will meet you there.


He knows the way to wherever you are
He knows the way to the depths of your heart
He knows the way cuz he's already been
where you're going
Jesus will meet you there.

Photo: Having a great time at Fratelli Ristorante in Sandy, Utah for our family Christmas dinner.

15 comments:

  1. Very profound and inspiring post, Paul. Happy New Year to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Paul! Thank you for sharing your inspiring thoughts on life and God.

    May your new year be a brand new beginning of wonderful things to come for your family!

    Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
    www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post...as always. I wish you and your family many blesings in the coming New Year.

    ~Stephanie and Braeden(HLHS)

    http://braedensheartjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't get over how FANTASTICALLY HEALTHY you look in these pictures!! I am so happy for you and your family. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! You look great - love the snowmobiling picture. Can't wait to see you at Abravanel hall in February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Cardall family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and cannot express how much it has helped me in the last few days! I especially enjoyed your playlist of songs. I played them over and over as I too have lost loved ones this year; and found the songs you chose so uplifting and comforting. However, today they seem to have disappeared. I hope that you post them again on your blog. And, I especially hope that you continue to find health and happiness in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faith is unbelievable! I am thankful I found your blog a while back. I am thankful you have a heart and you are living life like you are a new person! You look AMAZING with your new heart! My prayers go to your family for the loss of your brother and grandfather. God is with you, and I KNOW without a doubt you will see them again. I'm curious, do your donor's family know about you, the receipent of that person's heart? If they dont, I think they would be so blessed to see and read how thankful for life that you are! Have a happy and healthy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord gives....and He takes away. And we are SO grateful He has seen fit to extend your life and continue to use your testimony to challenge others in their faith. What a year you have had. We are among many who are just in awe at the strong hand of the Lord on your life - mighty to save!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Paul. I am so thankful for your posts, so thankful for your faith, and so thankful that you have a way with words that causes me to reflect on What Matters Most.

    May 2010 be a year of blessings for you and for your family.

    Love from Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing...Have an excellent New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a way with words. Thanks for expressing yourself so well. Also thanks for letting us be a part of your miracle this year...2009 is a year to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm proud of you Paul and continue to be in awe of your strength and character.

    May 2010 bring continued health and happiness for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful, amazing, true post. I love what you said about science...it's how I feel exactly.

    So....I have to tell ya. I was happily making plans with my friend from Austin, TX (mom of a heart baby) for the two of us to bring our hubbies to SLC for your concert over Valentines Day weekend. I live in Snowflake, AZ and I am pregnant...I'll be about 7 months the time of your concert. ANYHOW...we drove 3 hours to visit family this past weekend...and it became very clear that there's no way this pregnant momma is going to drive to SLC 7 months pregnant OR even drive 3 hours to the airport to fly there. It's way uncomfortable now...and I know it'll just get worse. I am so sad to miss the concert because I just have this feeling it's going to be your very very best and it would be a great place to celebrate the heart on Valentines day! So here's my questions. Do you think you will be doing a concert in AZ ever ??????

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the song "Beauty will Rise" by SCC... it has definitely become our anthem for the year!!!

    ReplyDelete