Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Interviewed by Steve Catoe, Adventures of a Funky Heart!

I was fortunate to do an interview with fellow congenital heart defect survivor and friend Steve Catoe. His popular blog, Adventures of A Funky Heart, provides wonderful insight into the world of congenital heart disease. He often travels to share his own story and provide hope and understanding concerning our chronic illness.

Living for Eden: Paul Cardall, Tricuspid Atresia

By Steve

Recently I had the chance to interview Paul Cardall, an award-winning musician, (His album Sacred Piano recently hit #5 on the Billboard New Age Album charts) Husband, Father, and fellow Heart Warrior. Like me, Paul has Tricuspid Atresia, (along with Transposition of the Great Arteries) and he recently underwent a successful heart transplant. I’ve kept you updated on Paul and his need for a transplant here on Funky Heart!, but you can read his entire story over at his blog, Living for Eden.

Funky Heart! readers have heard me describe my heart defect many times, but every defect is different – and its effects are different, from one CHDer to another. When I asked Paul to describe his heart defects in his own terms, he wrote “Before my heart transplant, I was born with what my parents and cardiologist called a half heart. Only half of my heart was functioning. The other half was either missing or not being used. As I grew into adulthood I learned the serious nature and depth of my congenital heart defect. I was living primarily on a single ventricle instead of two. In addition the major vessels that carry and deliver blood from my heart were swapped.”

CONTINUE THE INTERVIEW - CLICK HERE

5 comments:

  1. That was a great interview. I enjoyed reading about your miraculous story all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. My son has been a fan for years, you have really been an inpiration for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart has been touched by your story. My 3 year old son just had the Fontan surgery done 2 1/2 weeks ago at Primary Children's. He was born with Pulmonary Atresia. It was just shortly before this surgery that I discovered your beautiful music while listening on pandora.com. I am forever a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    I don't personally know you, but I have been following your blog. I really love your uplifting and inspiring entries. You have such great faith in our Savior and such a strong testimony of the gospel....I love to read your words. I also have a question for you..if you don't mind. I have a friend (Sumerli Lynch) who is currently hospitalized at Intermountain Medical in Salt Lake. After she had her daughter this spring she suffered a major heart attack at the age of 29. Since then she has continued to decline and was basically in last stage heart failure. On Monday they were attempting a heart cath and when they tried to thread the wire into her heart it stopped. She is on life support right now and they want to try an LVAD. She is not a candidate for a transplant so this solution would be for the rest of her life. I was just wondering if this was an option ever discussed with you and how much you know about it. Her surgery is scheduled for Saturday and will be very critical for her. I know that you are busy and I do not intend to take any precious time away from your family, but if you have a moment could you please e-mail me back at summergibbs77@live.com? I just feel like the best source of information would be from someone who has been there in a sense. Thank you so much and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I teared up. Again.

    Your music sounds more joyful. Joyful heart?

    ReplyDelete