Friday, November 20, 2009

A Great Song for a few Rough Days

My brother Brian's death is back in the news. You can imagine it's hard to continually re-live circumstances surrounding Brian's death when it's on the front page of most newspapers.

I admire my parents and my sister in law for their righteousness and spirit. Their heart is in the right place. We've grown closer together this past year. We've experienced God's miracles and the heart-ache of loss.

I believe we have a small glimpse of what my donor family must be experiencing. What comforts me is that I know their loved one's heart is still beating in a good man who'll never do anything to dishonor the gift of life.

With these thoughts and feelings I want to share with you the words of Steven Curtis Chapman who wrote about his own struggle in dealing with his daughter's tragic and untimely death. I believe his words with all my heart.

Jesus Will Meet You There
by Steven Curtis Chapman

LISTEN TO THE SONG

When you think you’ve hit the bottom
And the bottom gives way
And you fall into a darkness
No words can explain
You don’t know how you’ll make it out alive
Jesus will meet you there

And when the doctor says “ I’m sorry, we don’t know what else to do”
And you’re looking at your family
Wondering how they’ll make it through
Whatever road this life takes you down
Jesus will meet you there

He knows the way to wherever you are
He knows the way to the depths of your heart
He knows the way cause He’s already been where you’re going
Jesus will meet you there

When the jury says “guilty”
And the prison doors close
The one you love says nothing
But just packs up and goes
The sunlight comes and your world’s still dark
Jesus will meet you there

When you failed again
And all the second chances have been used
And the heavy weight of guilt and shame
Is crushing down on you
And all you have us one last cry for help
Jesus will meet you there

He knows the way to wherever you are
He knows the way to the depths of your heart
He knows the way cause He’s already been where you’re going

When you realize the dreams you’ve had
For your child won’t come true
And when the phone rings
In the middle of the night with tragic news
Whatever valley you must walk through
Jesus will meet you there
He will meet you there
Jesus will meet you there

www.stevencurtischapman.com

10 comments:

  1. Amazing song! Thanks. I needed to have a listen. I so appreciate you and your family. I share your story, pieces and parts anyways... with EVERYONE! Stephen is still with us! It's amazing. We are going back to SLC to visit cardiology to see how much longer we might have him. It has been such a blessing! ... a miracle really to have the precious time that we have had with him. When he returns HOME, I will miss him so ...I imagine similar to how you miss your brother. This song really touched me and I thank you for sharing it, as well as your feelings. Thanks! Tell your beautiful wife and daughter hello! Take care Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on, I'll get to the song. I'm listening to something else right now that disturbs me deeply. Way too much adrenaline pumped police officers who clearly knew the man they were to intervene with was 1)unarmed and 2)mentally ill and 3)recently medicated with an anti-psychotic which they'd never heard of. WHAT?!

    Let's just hypothesize a different situation; the officer who answers the call is already up to par with the basics of mental illness. He's also been through MANT training which allows him to tase a mentally ill man one time, stunning him, and giving the police officer the few seconds he needs to restrain him until he can handcuff him.

    He was already foaming at the mouth when he arrived? Is that not a clear indication that something is seriously wrong with his chemistry? Again. No weapon. Where would he be hiding it?

    When did CPR begin? When did they ascertain Brian was not breathing? I didn't time it but it seemed like a long lapse of time.

    "It is what it is." Okay Dokey, can we start CPR until a trained medical professional arrives?

    Mistakes were made. Over and over again. Peace officers were called to assist in diffusing a situation that had gotten out of control. Peace was not restored. "Ma'am, please get back in the car." I don't want you to be a witness to my lapse in judgment again. And again. And again.

    You can delete this comment if you want. I just wanted to air my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those beautiful lyrics...our prayers are with your family at this difficult time.

    ~Stephanie and Braeden(HLHS)
    http://braedensheartjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I'm so sorry you have to continually relieve your brothers death because of the news. The song was beautiful, and I hope your sister-in-law and neices are doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul I read your site when I am up and able to. I don't comment but today I am compelled to do so. I am sorry for the circumstances of your Brothers Death. I understand continually reliving what is written and said in the news. I lost my brother due to being hit by a car by a drunk driver who decided to leave him there to die. Over the years and its been a long time... its been rehashed over and over. It doesn't change it or bring him back. But it has brought as a family very close. We do have had many miracles and blessing from God as well as gut wrenching losses.
    I love the song. I was having a hard day today to. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful song. It deeply touched my heart. I am a mom of three congenital heart babies. One of my precious children, Gracie went to be with Jesus one month before her 3rd birthday that she shares with her twin brother. The only way I feel I make each day is with God's wonderful Grace and his new mercies each morning. Now the words to this song will stick in my heart. Thank you again. You and your entire family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful song. It deeply touched my heart. I am a mom of three congenital heart babies. One of my precious children, Gracie went to be with Jesus one month before her 3rd birthday that she shares with her twin brother. The only way I feel I make each day is with God's wonderful Grace and his new mercies each morning. Now the words to this song will stick in my heart. Thank you again. You and your entire family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was beautiful. Thank you. My family has been through some rough trials with my husband's health lately and I can appreciate your perspective on remaining positive and faithful. I have always loved your music, with Joseph Smith's First Prayer being my favorite, and I thank you for sharing your testimony through that music. May you and your family be continually blessed and may you never stop sharing the things you are learning. There are many of us who need to hear what you have to share. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you and your family our love and hope for healing.
    I just discovered your music on Pandora. It spoke to me.
    Your family is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I'm a little bit behind w/ posts and comments but wanted to tell you what a beautiful and touching tribute you paid to your Grandpa! My heart goes out to you w/ his loss and continually w/ the loss of your brother. Your Grandpa sounded like such a wonderful and great man. I believe they are the greatest generation also! My Grandpa has almost been gone a year now and its still hard. That was a beautiful and sweet song too-thank you! And I think its so wonderful you got to help promote and represent heart patients-wow! That is awesome! I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving week! Keep enjoying it at HOME!!!

    Love, Chelsea & John

    ReplyDelete