Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Thumbs up on each biopsy!

Photo: Me and Eden dressed for Halloween, Granny was in paying for Gas. Can Cats drive?

After a fun Halloween weekend, Monday morning I had my fifth biopsy since receiving my heart transplant 56 days ago. So far all of my lab results have been wonderful. There are hardly any signs of rejection, if any. In other words, the heart I received is a perfect match, extremely strong, and my body is receiving the organ very well. I am fortunate, blessed, and grateful to God.

What is a Biopsy?

My myocardial biopsies are performed in an operating room known as the cath lab by a cardiologist. In this test a small amount of tissue is removed from the internal lining from the heart for testing. It is used to help detect rejection of the new heart after a heart transplant. A long, flexible tube, called a catheter, is inserted into a vein and threaded into the heart's right artrium through the tricuspid valve into the right ventricle. The doctor can guide the catheter by watching its movement on a monitor showing an X-ray image of the area. The tip of the catheter is fitted with tiny jaws that the doctor can open and close. Once the catheter is in place, the doctor will take several tiny snips of muscle for microscopic examination.

What does it feel like?

Most adults and some teenagers choose to be awake for the procedure since most sit still and can endure the tugging.

Because I am doing this in a children's hospital I still have the luxury of requesting anesthesia. My first biopsy was very painful because of some nerve pain so we decided to use anesthesia the next time. Unfortunately, I have some reaction to my anesthesia which seems at times more challenging than the transplant did. For several minutes afterward I feel like I’m in deep water trying to reach an unattainable surface. However, this passes. And I remind myself no matter how hard it is in that moment of despair all things pass. Eventually, it’s over and I feel renewed and happy to be alive. I don’t like talking about the hard moments because I’m an optimist and try to see things from a long-term perspective.

My team and cardiologist have been extremely professional and kind in helping to ease the pain.

As time goes by and there is no sign of rejection my weekly biopsies turn into bi-monthly, monthly, every three months, six months, to every year. At this point, if all goes well I won’t need another one until after Thanksgiving.

I often think of the words of Joseph B. Wirthlin who put suffering in perspective:

“Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come!”

31 comments:

  1. You are so amazing and inspiring. Though I don't personally know you, I am truly happy for you and your family. Loved the quote by Elder Wirthlin. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. has it really been 56 days? wow, time flies! who'd have thought 57 days ago you'd be where you're at today!!! so glad to know that your body is responding positively to your new heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those costumes. That must have been great driving down the road. I'm so happy that your heart is doing so well and are you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to hear that all is going so well. I have to tell you- my brother and you did EFY together long ago in Ohio. His name is Damond Petersen. Don't know if you remember him but he still remembers you and was impressed with your musical talent and you as a person. Love your halloween costumes-they are just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very glad that all the biopsies are going well and that you have still been keeping us updated. It's so nice to see people who are optimists and try to look at all the good things instead of thinking about the bad ones. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an inspiration to us all and an amazing soul. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am so happy with the outcome so far. I will continue to pray daily for you.

    P.S. - When you are ready, it would be so awesome if you could make it to Atlanta GA to perform. I am absolutely in love with your music. I have begged my husband to take me to Salt Lake City for your concert but it's such an expensive flight, I don't think we will be able to make it. You are truly talented and blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that the Biopsies show little to no rejection. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great Halloween costume! It totally works to keep out germs and yet still allows you to take Eden Trick or Treating! Great news on the biopsies all around. It must be so nice for you to not have to think about another trip to the cath lab until after Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the quote...I needed to be reminded of that today! I am so, so, so happy for you and your little family. Thank you for being optimistic and for sharing just a little that sometimes its hard...
    Take care and stay healthy!
    BTW...very cute costumes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I am currently in pharmacy school pursuing my dream of working as a transplant pharmacist, something I have wanted to do since my brother had a liver transplant 10 years ago. We are currently studying cardiology and when things get overwhelming it is inspiring to come to your blog and remember why I am doing what I am doing. Thanks again and God bless you with long life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya!!! That is fantastic news!! I love the quote, I may need to post t his on Mason's blog too! Hope you don't mind.
    Love and prayers for your family,
    Mason's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent quote! Very powerful!
    Such terrific news too! We are so happy for you & so glad your body is responding so well, what another huge relief. That is quite the description of what you go thru, wow, that is amazing. I hope too that your visits decrease soon! And yes, awesome and super cute costumes!!! I love those guys! So funny!

    Love, Chelsea & John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the costumes!!! So much fun!! I am beyond grateful that your biopsy's are coming back with such wonderful news!! You deserve it!! Keep on believing, healing, and living!! <3 many prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY for good biospy's! Love the quote and love the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful news...we rejoice with you. Love the great costumes!

    ~Stephanie and Braeden(HLHS)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're doing well. What a blessing. Eden looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Paul and Lynette!! We are SO happy to hear of how well you are doing. We wish we were going to see you soon. Take care and we'll keep praying for you. Thanks for your inspiration and quotes. You have so much to teach! Thanks!

    Jenny & Jon Bybee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopping by from Lynnette Kraft's "Getting to Know You" blog event and am so glad I came across your story. SO happy to hear about your new heart - what an amazing story. And those costumes are TOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paul - it is lovely to meet you!

    What a blessed story and I'm so thankful Lynnette introduced you today!

    I will be adding you to my prayers. May all be blessed by your concert!

    Trusting God to work many more miracles in your life!

    All for His glory!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Paul. You'll be getting some new visitors today - they're my blogging chums. I felt led to introduce you on my "Getting to know YOU" feature today. I usually introduce people who have signed up, but I'm breaking my rules for just one day because God put it on my heart to send my friends over here.

    I met a couple last night who are expecting a baby girl with HLHS and I shared a little about your story to encourage them. How can your life be anything but an inspirational.

    If you're wondering what this "Getting to know YOU" is about, here's the link to the post about you. Paul Cardall Heart Transplant Recipient and Award Winning Pianist

    What an amazing story you have. Thank you for sharing it publicly so we can all marvel and rejoice with you and for you.
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Paul, I came over from Lynnette Kraft's blog. Last year, our son, Seth, went to Heaven after 6 1/2 months with us, and HLHS. I LOVE your quote as I have experienced that myself AND I rejoice that Seth has Sundays in Heaven.
    I'll be back later to poke around some more! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping by from Lynettes blog. I love your Halloween costumes! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just stopping by from Lynettes blog. My son had open heart surgery at the age of 9. By the grace of God he is a healthy, happy, beating the odds eleven year old. I pray for the same for you.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Paul! I'm visiting from Lynnette Kraft's blog. I love your optimistic outlook! Praise God for each day He gives us! I wish you all the best.

    In Christ,
    Angela @ Eternal Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  25. Paul,
    Just dropping by via Lynnette Kraft's blog. Glad to hear that you are doing so well!! Your testimony is such a blessing. We have our own heart issues in our family with my mom and myself having open heart surgery for ASDs (hole between the upper chamber) and my two oldest daughters with ASDs and reversed pulmonary veins. Also my 5th son was diagnosed with hypoplastic left heart syndrome when I was pregnant with him but the Lord healed him before he was born. So we can relate a little. :-)

    Blessings to you and your family and I pray for health and long life for you!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  26. Visiting from Lynnette's blog. Glad you are doing so well after your transplant. May you live a long and healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. Paul, you are an inspiration!
    I've read all over your blog here and even onto your dear brother's site. I'm just amazed at the adventure your family has been on.
    So very sorry about your brother. My husband's brother is bi-polar and has struggled many years to find his way. God has protected him in the dark times of his life.
    How exciting to see your wonderful progress from your surgery. Truly a blessing!

    Very glad to meet you. From Lynnette's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Paul. I, too, am visiting from Lynnette Kraft's blog. I love the quote you posted here. While we have no heart issues in our family, my son was born still 6 months ago, and the reminder that Sunday will come is needed often. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Paul, I just recently moved from Salt Lake City to Montana, and I do happen to know that you are a celebrity in Utah, and I am very familiar with your story. So imagine my surprise (very pleasant surprise) when I logged onto my friend's blog today... Lynette Kraft... and learned that you are her featured blogger today in what she calls Getting to Know You. Someone you have never met or knew of until now. Pretty cool I think. So congratulations! There are obviously many people across the nation that are aware of your story and that you may never know about. Congratulations! I am glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so glad you are doing okay from the transplant.

    Visiting from Lynette Kraft's blog of Getting to Know you.

    ReplyDelete