Saturday, September 20, 2008

YOUR HEART vs. MY HEART

So what is normal?

To the right is a a picture of a normal heart and an imperfect version of my own. (You can make it bigger by clicking on it).

You'll notice I have no right ventricle. Oh well. So to my understanding, the non-oxygenated blood comes from the body into the homemade right atrium. The non-oxygenated blood swirls around like a round about and goes and flows, hopefully, into the left ventricle. (There are usually two valves or doors for the blood to flow in but my "tricuspid valve" is not there.) Thus, my congenital heart defect properly titled, "Tricuspid Atresia." Oh yea, my main arteries were reversed at birth giving me the other titled, "Transposition of the greater arteries or TGA."

WEEK 5
Since I was listed I had been feeling ok, laying around, most of the time. Last week doctors turned up my pacemaker, upped my dose of synthroid, and gave me a large dose of Steroids. It was like night and day. I felt great for a few days and had a lot of strength. Plus, I watch more baseball. But, the side effect now is more swelling in my legs and stomach.

THANKS
I want to thank everyone for all their prayers and fasting on my behalf. I can literally feel the arms of God around me through your prayers, service, and love. There is great power in prayer and they are answered. I'm overwhelmed by the support we have received. We love you all!

5 comments:

  1. I've heard that there are 2 ways to deal with congenital heart disease, education or denial. It looks like you're the education type where you find out every thing about your heart and all of the technical names. I however live in denial. "I have a heart problem? When did that happen?" You are a great example to me Paul and I pray for you and your family everyday. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean what is "normal" anyway--we've always known you were a little abnormal Paul...this just confirms it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,

    We went to Evergreen Jr. High school together, somewhere near 20 years ago (man, we're old. . .) I was in your younger brother's class (1993). I have been keeping tabs on your music for years now, and have recently discovered you recorded with Steele Croswhite, who is also a friend.

    I wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and wishes. Please take care of yourself and I wish you the best in receiving a heart and being able to move on from this period os your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care Paul... my thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy's was just the opposite, no left. You're gonna get your brand new heart really soon. I'll keep the prayers coming. http://crowefamily310.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete