Thursday, September 25, 2008

3 Day Stay at the IMC Hotel

When they started me on the steroids two weeks ago my blood sugar shot up from 100 to 450. Very dangerous. My stomach and legs blew up with fluids from all parts of my body. I went home today after being in the hospital now for 3 days with IV diuretics to get rid of all the excess water along with protein infusions. It has been wild. They're slowly taking me off the steroids because they're not working to solve a serious issue of my body not being able to absorb protein ifor my body. The biggest concern of my doctors has been the Protein losing enteropathy (PLE). That would be my leading cause of death if it worsens before the heart arrives. A new heart would cure me of this disease.

Incidentally, I went in weighing 155 lbs (8 above my normal weight) and left home today at 132 lbs.

Here is a youtube video that reminds me of my experience.

I'd like to add that the new Intermountain Medical Center where I do my clinics and stayed for the past 3 days is remarkable. Those who care for me are some of the finest people in our Salt Lake community. The hospital is a non-profit organization and their interest is the patient. They are true professionals and that's why I call it the IMC Hotel (5 Stars).

Thanks for your continued prayers and support!

7 comments:

  1. We are praying for you from Argentina...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all of you out there that have been touch by the gift our Father in Heaven has given this young man.I think that we should hold a special fast this Sunday and ask the Lord to help Paul's body break down these protiens and that a heart may be found soon.

    “If nature teaches us one thing it is this… the miraculous is not only possible, it is taking place all around us every day”

    Paul, I'm praying for you and your sweet family. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the video...cracked me up! We are praying for you in every prayer. Garrett asks frequently, "Why is Uncle Paul's heart broken?" We hope you don't have a broken heart...just a malfunctioning one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, We are praying for you and your family. You are a wonderful example of strength to us! Continue to have faith!

    Love, Angie Krog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, Lynnette and Eden!
    I am sorry your enjoying such fun times in the luxury Hotel. (Not), Love the picture of you and Eden in the hospital bed.

    You have such an amazing wife. Hang in there, your in our prayers! I really truely pray for your strength as well as Lynnette.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there. Glad to hear you are back home. Hope you get back on the up and up again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bobiwaldo@comcast.netOctober 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM

    Not the place you want to go to get away for a few days no matter how great the staff, but hope you are home and feeling better soon.
    We fasted for you Sunday and continue our prayers for you and the family daily.
    Love and Best from Down Under

    ReplyDelete