Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Primary Children's patients ‘Movin' On Up' - ksl.com

Primary Children's patients ‘Movin' On Up'
January 26th, 2011 @ 10:18pm
By Ed Yeates

SALT LAKE CITY -- Children with life-long medical conditions need mom and dad's support to help keep them alive, but what happens when the parents aren't around anymore?

Video Courtesy of KSL.com


Primary Children's Medical Center has launched a new program that's actually helping kids sever those ties -- for good reason!

Two brothers, Ethan and Devon Galland, are "Movin' On Up." That's the name of the project to help them make the transition away from mom and dad so they can take care of their own medical conditions.

Six years ago, Ethan got a donated kidney from his dad. The year before, Devon got a kidney transplant from his mom. While both were born with the same congenital disease, it's rare each parent was able to donate a kidney to each child.

Read More Primary Children's patients ‘Movin' On Up' - ksl.com

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!!!! I was just thinking about this issue the other day. Although we have awhile, its great to know that there is something to help with that transition down the road. I think I may have a hard time letting her take charge. I shouldn't worry, she could already be a nurse or work on the IV Team. That little girl amazes me! Hope your doing well Paul. Haven't talked to you for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, my name is Riggs Gibbons and I live in Gilbert, Arizona and I'm 12 years old. I was born with 1 ventricle and other defects.I had the Fontan procedure too. I finished reading your book and it was great. My mom finished it before me and then let me read it. Chris and Tawny Featherstone, friends of my parents gave us this book. I liked how you were positive about everything all the time. I don't like having heart defects because I can't play in a tackle football leauge. I thought you were a great example to me and I appretiate it. I loved your book. My e-mail is riggsgibbons@gmail.com write me back!

    ReplyDelete