Thursday, January 21, 2010

Optimism: It's Contagious

Optimism is contagious.

A little over four months ago I was dying. Statistics, doctors, and a few friends were skeptical. Removing my heart, the size of a football, was not going to be easy. Friends saw death in the circles around my eyes and the pale color of my face. I felt it although I didn’t believe it.

Ironically, after my brother Brian passed away tragically, I was convinced by the comforting influence of God’s love I wasn’t going anywhere. God’s love empowered me with confidence and optimism.

Photo: The day after my heart transplant 09-10-2009

Shortly after I was listed for a transplant, a few of my cardiologists said something to the effect, “Success, is 50% your attitude. The rest is science.”

The principle of optimism should never be under estimated. The men who we refer to as our founding fathers shared this principle, which gave them, power to free the Colonies from England. By this power, Gandhi believed India could win a war of independence without taking up arms. Through optimism people change, serve, love, and lead the way for others.

You might not be a Senator or fly to the moon. You probably won’t be on television. You might not write a famous novel, experience front row seats to a sporting event, visit Italy and see Davinci or Michelangelo’s work, or win the showcase showdown on the Price is Right. However, gravitating to this principle and those people in your life who are optomistic will change you and you'll experience happiness where you never knew it existed.

Photo: Taken January 2010

By this power, each one of us can do mighty things. The effects of our optimism and service, with the talents and time we’ve been given have a rippling effect on those around us and effects generations.

With this optimism I plan to live as long as possible with the heart I’ve been given. I will do all I can to help where I can. But, above all, I will enjoy life and do things most of you have experienced your whole life with a normal heart.

Here are few things I've already been enjoying... Am I allowed to brag in this new condition? Absolutely.


Ice Fishing


Temple Square


The Virgin River, St. George, Utah


Golfing in St. George


Fishing Strawberry Reservoir


Climbing the base of Mt. Olympus


Climbing further up Mt. Olympus



Celebrating with my wife Lynnette


Skiing at Snowbird


Playing basketball

18 comments:

  1. You look GREAT and it's wonderful to see!!!!
    Have a happy life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bragging? No way! This is proving the power of optimism is alive and well! You have had a very busy few months and we LOVE to hear about your new adventures with Lynette and Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are so proud of you paul and lynn. we love you both and little eden. we all have been praying for you all through this. keep your spirits up. we are all behind you!!!
    i am so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO full of LOVE and LIFE. I LOVE it! What a blessing. I still cannot believe that you are catching huge fish, skiing, hiking, climbing, and enjoying life the way that you are... COMPLETELY AMAZING! It warms my heart that there are survivors of CHD. AND if you don't brag about it, I WILL FOR YOU! I already have. I drag my husband to the computer everytime you post. We just want the best for you and your family & everyday that you are enjoying is another day for us ALL who LOVE your family to celebrate! We are celebrating with you Paul. Can't wait be in your midst at the concert... bought tickets today!!!! Bringing some friends too. I hope to meet other CHD families, as I have not had the opportunity since Stephen's passing. But mostly, I am soooo excited to hear you play for the very first time! I still can't believe you have this beautiful heart that has come to you, blessing YOU, your FAMILY, and even US. It is so surreal. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's bragging at all. I think it's taking advantage of every opportunity with your new, healthy heart! YAY for you and your family!!! Congratulations and thank you for your example of optimism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Paul!! We need to get you and Tom together to play basketball!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you! It's amazing to see the huge progress you've made and to hear about the fun adventures you've finally been able to experience.

    We're coming down from Washington State for the concert!!! Can't wait and looking so forward to it and meeting some other heart families :)
    Katie (Maddie's mom, HRHS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my best friends told me yesterday... that her husband new you through the mission field. Anyway... Kirt Murdoch??? Great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sincere and inspiring post! And I say BRAG AWAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's wonderful that you love life with such a passion! How could you not with all that you've been through. Life is completely in the Lord's hands and even if all odds were against you - he wanted you to live and share your joy and talents with the world - or at least all who you come in contact with.

    I'm happy for you and Lynnette and your daughter. What a reason to rejoice!

    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world could use a huge dose of your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to read your blog. Such a great place to come to for inspiration and perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such an inspiration to me as well as others. Thank you for your amazing spirit and being so willing to share such personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Proof MIRACLES exist! And FAITH Preceeds MIRACLES! So Happy to see you seriously PLAY! You are our inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul - you are amazing! Enjoy everything! You deserve it! Can't wait for the concert. It's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy to see you do so many fun things. Having a new lease on life can really motivate you. I hope that as my son gets older he has the same optimism as you. His heart is still incomplete but like the Doc's said- attitude can compensate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey! May God continue to bless you and your family and may keep enjoying your new heart to the fullest with great optimism!

    Love, a heart momma

    Michelle
    www.withallmyhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete