Saturday, October 25, 2008

Home for the Weekend| Back to the Hospital on Monday

After a difficult week of being in the hospital to help me with my exhaustion my cardiologist pulled some strings to get me home for the weekend. My daughter has been sleeping at my parents home and also at my sister n' laws home. My wife has been working. So, I am happy to be with them for this short weekend. Tomorrow, after church and a nap my wife will work a night shift. I'll be with my daughter at my parents overnight before I go back to the hospital on Monday for several more days of procedures and minor surgery. I will have another Heart Cath and they will put a stent in. They may also change my pacemaker. Then I'll recover for a few days.

While in the hospital they inserted a pick line (mid line) so I could be on a new medication. I am also taking lovenex shots twice a day. In addition, and the most difficult thing is that I am wearing a defibrillator life vest 24 hours a day in the event I have a horrible arrhythmia or heart attack. It is like sleeping on 4 rocks and a think hard cover book. Because of these and other issues I was moved up on the list.

I am sick. It's sometimes difficult and frustrating having no mobile freedom. I am not allowed to drive with the vest. And I rely heavily on my wife and family for support. But, I know God has blessed me. Though there is suffering, I know that He cares for all those hurting. We feel His love and strength through the service of others. It's so important to strengthen our family relationships. There will come a time when you will need them. I am grateful for mine. I wish everyone had the support I do. But, sadly many do not and it breaks my heart. We need to reach out to those in need.

On a spiritual note; there were a couple things this week that helped me greatly. One, prayer. There were nights in the hospital where I felt like I wouldn't be able to make it through the night. But, it was the prayer with my wife, and on another night, my mother, and on another night my father. I felt peace and comfort from that simple principle of opening up your heart to God and thanking Him for all that is good in our lives. The other thing that helped me is a beautiful message on "HOPE" by a man I greatly admire Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Read his discourse.

11 comments:

  1. hang in there buddy. hope, faith and prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to that talk. I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, noah is really shannon. I just can't figure out how to change our settings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you brought me to tears! you are amazing and so inspirational for so many...thanks for your faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your inspiring, informative updates, Paul. Thank you for the reminders of all we have for which to be thankful. You and your family are continually in our prayers. May your hope in Christ bring you continued peace and comfort.

    Love you!
    Nancy & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Where can I get a cool Halloween costume like that!

    In all seriousness Paul, we are praying for you every single night and just are thinking about you a LOT!

    Larry and Nancy (and Rachel and Patrick)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey. im larry's son patrick. i went to your guyses house and pizza one day and you played the piano for us. which was amazing. i have 4 full songs of yours on my phone (Intro mist, seperate peace, winter's wisp, and passing time) i cant stop listening to intro mist. its been on repeat for the last hour or two hahaha. thanks for inspiring me. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an inspiration, as is Lynette. What an amazing family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was my favorite talk of conference. Hang in there. I am happy to help out on any Tuesday. Emma would love to play with Eden. I'll call Lynette. Keep your chin up. I have learned-as you have- that it's the only way to get through really tough life challenges. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Paul, you don't know me but I am in your brother Craig's ward. Thank you for your words of hope and faith and for your beautiful music. I heard you speak in a fireside ten or so years ago and I have always wanted to tell you that your words and your music literally change the course of my life. It was just one of those perfect moments and you were an instrument in God's hands. Thank you for being an inspiriation to me and to so many others. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paul~
    Your RN from PICU to CSU here. It's really neat to hear & follow your experience via blog, thanks for sharing. We'll be thinking of & praying for you. Wish you the best & see you around. Hang in there & keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete