Monday, June 28, 2010

Our Inheritance from God

Henry B. Eyring, one of the great leaders in my faith, discussed a very important truth that has inspired all those who have embraced his wise counsel.

He said, "Your inheritance from God is time. It is capital far more precious than any lands or stocks or houses you will ever get. Spend it foolishly, and you will bankrupt yourself and cheapen the inheritance of those that follow you. Invest it wisely, and you will bless generations to come." [Sermon delivered May 4, 1986, BYU]

For me, receiving a second chance at life because another person's heart beats inside of me makes me think more about the word time. It is a precious commodity. It is a gift.

None of us really know how much time we have left. I thank God everyday for renewing me and granting me more time with my wife and daughter. He performed a miracle.

I’m not surprised. He is a God of miracles.

If another person’s heart can bring me back from the dead why is it impossible for Jesus to raise himself from the dead? Thanks to my donor I live again. Thanks to my Savior and Redeemer I will live forever. I thank Him each day for his mercy and kindness toward our family and I look forward to thanking my donor when my time runs out.

Photo: My Ragnar Family

Until then I'll enjoy my extended family and friends who continue to inspire me.

The week after our hike up the steep Mount Olympus, 12 of my immediate family, a few spouses and cousins were part of a 188-mile relay race called RAGNAR that went through the small towns of Northern Utah. I worked with my Mom as a volunteer along with my cousin Trent. Our team was named after one of our brother's songs called, “Leave it all Behind.”

Each of the 1000 teams had 12 members. They were awake for almost 48 hours running 2 sets aprox. 3-15 miles each, even when the sun went down. They would pass wrist ban to the next team member who would then run their set.

Photo: My sister Caron passing the wrist ban / baton to my youngest sister Jane

Other people I’ve associated with continue to inspire me. Their way of life fuels my desire to spend my time wisely with a good balance of work, service, and fun.

Since summer began, I’ve had opportunity to speak and share my music with thousands of kids and parents attending youth conferences or other church related events. From Houston to Manti, Utah, Seattle/Tacoma to South Ogden, or wherever I go, I meet kind and friendly people who have a light in their eyes focused on learning all they can about our Father in Heaven.

Photo: Teams decorated their cars. This my cute sister Jane standing by a decorated relay-race car.

I’ve attended several charity events where people are gathered because they deeply care about one another. The fund-raiser for my fellow heart transplant friend Mason brought a community together. The support alleviated some of the financial burdens associated with medical expenses. But more priceless than donated funds was the spiritual feeling of love in the large room where people threw their arms around a family in need.

I’ve learned in my short span of time that no matter what comes our way, people genuinely seeking God and striving with all of their whole heart for goodness and charity, are the happy people in our society.

The greatest servant of all said to His disciples shortly before He was crucified for the sins of the world, “He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.” (Matthew 10:39)

8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to you running with us next year! Go Team Leave It All Behind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that, Paul. And congratulations to your family members for running that race in honor of Brian. You all are an inspiration to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired every time I read your blog! You are blessing so many lives. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are such an inspiration to us! we attended mason's fundraiser and we were able to hear you play the beautiful songs that you did. it brought tears to my eyes! you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have a little miracle ourselves! our little taylee has may heart defects as well as other anomalies. you have been an inspiration to us just in the last week that we have known about you! thank you for being so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! That is so cool that you were able to be involved with RAGNAR. I think volunteering for races is just as fun as running them. And it's significantly less painful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul: very inspiring. Glad you are still with us. Looking forward to reading your book. Two of my boys end every day listening to your music. Your influence is greater than you will probably ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story. My sweet two onthold will have heart surgery tomorrow. I am inspired and touched by your story and your music. Especially Gracie's Theme.

    ReplyDelete