Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Two Weeks to My Climb

Last year at this time I sat waiting in an overstuffed chair for a surgical miracle. During those last few days in May 2009 I wrote these words on my blog:

“It's been a tough week. My body is tired. And I'll admit that I've been depressed at times and full of anxiety. Why do I feel so empty? I have every reason to live and love.”

Photo by Jeffery Allred | Deseret News (2009)

Much has transpired since last year and now I am only two weeks away from making an historic climb up Mount Olympus (Utah) in honor of my deceased brother.

I believe I will be the oldest survivor of the Fontan heart surgery from Utah to make this difficult hike post transplant.

Photo: Mount Olympus, Utah

I was so close to death and have known too many who have died.

Because of this, I find myself spending a lot of time doing things associated with the beauty of this world while I am still in this physical body.

Whether it is fishing, hiking, camping, or riding a bike long distances, I can’t stop enjoying the outdoors. I feel close to my brother. Above all, I feel close to God.

I am grateful for the creator of our world and all of the beauty that surrounds me.

Our Father in Heaven has orchestrated a beautiful plan that transcends this world for each us. We can trust God and know this life-time is but a small moment in an eternal view only He understands.

What we do now, matters.

Photo: Fishing the Provo River, Utah

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful.

Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path.

You know you will never get to the end of the journey.

But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.


-Winston Churchill

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! You are an amazing person. God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continually touched by your gratitude. Our Heavenly Father has given us so much, and the beauty of the world is just a small part, which I feel you so well express in your blog, and music. I am so happy I found you, for you always give me reason to reflect on my blessings, how grateful I am for a remarkable eternal family, and to belong to His church and be able to partake of ALL those blessings and opportunities associated with that membership.

    I want to thank you for sharing your inspiration so others may be inspired. I thank my Heavenly Father and give praise to Him and the constant love He gives so tenderly.

    p.s. Good luck on that climb, looking forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible difference a year can make. Good luck on your climb. I will be cheering you on! I love your blog. It's made me smile, cry and cheer and is a constant reminder of the beauty of life and that our Heavenly Father knows each of us and is with us during our best and worst times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just makes me so happy Paul. Today was the craziest day EVER--- we so need to catch up! I can't wait for you to make this climb. I'm jealous because it's gonna rock! You are amazing and I forever love your family... FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read about your climb! What a celebration of life that will be for you! Honestly I feel like you have already climbed and conquered that mountain many times over through your journey! Keep climbing those mountains and inspiring all of us to climb them with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an amazing person that continues to shine with God's love. I am so blessed to have come across your blog and hear your encouraging words.

    Good luck on the climb, I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am so thankful I came across your blog. It was shortly after my sweet baby was born last year with HLHS. Thank you for allowing us to learn from your experiences and for all of the hope you give to us heart moms!! Good luck in 2 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been following your story for a long time now. When I was pregnant with our sweet baby girl, now seven months old :), I prayed with my two boys for you. It is so wonderful to hear you are doing well. You are encouraging and grateful. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are getting so close to making this climb. I love the symbolism present in the whole experience. It makes me tear up to think of your brother being able to continue touching lives through you. I can't wait to see pictures from the climb...not just the top, but the whole journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love seeing you without a tube in your nose :) May your climb be exhilerating and bring you peace, in loving memory of your Brother. I'm sure he'll be beside you. You are Such an inspiration. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul -

    We are continually amazed by you and your example. Our son Carter is Miracle Mason's age, and they became friends in the hospital together. I heard that you are going to be doing an event for him. We are planning on going when it comes. It sounds like they are getting closer to coming home to Utah.

    Carter was born as a hypoplastic left heart with a coarctation of the aaorta. He also has a full heart block so he has had a pacemaker since birth. He also has a few other things, but too many to mention. My wife and I are in Primary Childrens right now with Carter. He had some issues with his pace maker and had to get it moved. We were talking about you and how amazing and inspiring you are, so THANK YOU!

    By the way, I also am in contact with Craig as part of my work. He is a good guy and probably an even better brother.

    Thanks again for all you do.

    Scott, Amy and Carter Gourley

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so excited for your HUGE hike!!! What an incredible and amazing year you have had. Its been quite the adventure and this hike will just top it off for sure! We wish you the very best and think you are so brave and have such determination. We can't to read and see photos from it too! Just enjoy yourself and continue to bask in the beauty of nature! So glad you've been having such a wonderful and active spring-the outdoors are the best!

    That was a great quote too, very thought provoking! Thanks for all of the wonderful and sweet updates. Good luck!

    Chelsea & John Phillips

    ReplyDelete