Friday, May 14, 2010

Toddler faces rare intestinal transplant

May 14th, 2010 @ 6:27pm
By Carole Mikita (KSLTV)

TAYLORSVILLE -- He is so lively and adorable; unless you see the feeding tubes, you would never know 18-month-old Patrick has a life-threatening condition.

Brian and Emily Hoopes adopted Patrick when he was just a week old. They remember the phone call.

"I was at home one afternoon and got a phone call telling me that there was a little boy who had been born on Halloween. We were kind of surprised because we were not approved to adopt for very long. My case worker went on to explain that his life expectancy was only one or two years," Emily explained.

Patrick was born with short-gut syndrome. Missing more than 95 percent of his intestines, doctors say he will not survive much longer without a rare intestinal transplant.

Continue reading or watch the new story video

5 comments:

  1. What an adorable child with big chocolate melty eyes...praying he gets his miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't be at the concert but he will be in my prayers. Paul check out my blog, I have had a huge upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that I can be a very small part of the benefit concert on Saturday with Charley. What a special little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Paul for putting on such a wonderful concert. It was really an amazing performance that blessed Patrick and his family. -- from Patrick's Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sad really...a small child with such health complications but there is a developed medical era and I am sure there is hope.

    ReplyDelete